HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going from an Senior Stick to Intermediate... advice?

Old
06-19-2009, 05:58 PM
jasonponty

vCash: 500
Going from an Senior Stick to Intermediate... advice?

So, for years I've bought Senior sized wood hockey sticks and cut them down about 4-6 inches, I'm 5'8". I want to make the switch to composites but with a senior stick, I'd have to cut it down which would completely alter the flex of the stick amongst other things. Switching to an intermediate stick seems like the smart thing to do. I wouldn't have to cut it down and the integrity of the stick wouldn't be changed.

I know the shaft is skinner than a senior sized stick which is a part of my worry. I'm about 145lbs so I don't think a 67-70 flex would be that far off of a weight/flex ratio? Am I wrong?

Anyone else make the switch? Any warnings or advice?

jasonponty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 06:14 PM
winger17

Go to the intermediate. I would be the best choice.

winger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm 5'6 140, and I made the switch 6 months ago. I'll never go back. Not only is the flex much more appropriate for my strength and weight, but intermediates are cheaper too. The difference in dimensions other than length are so small that I literally did not notice.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 06:31 PM
winger17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
, but intermediates are cheaper too.
It is usually only a $10 difference but go with the inter.

winger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonponty View Post
So, for years I've bought Senior sized wood hockey sticks and cut them down about 4-6 inches, I'm 5'8". I want to make the switch to composites but with a senior stick, I'd have to cut it down which would completely alter the flex of the stick amongst other things. Switching to an intermediate stick seems like the smart thing to do. I wouldn't have to cut it down and the integrity of the stick wouldn't be changed.

I know the shaft is skinner than a senior sized stick which is a part of my worry. I'm about 145lbs so I don't think a 67-70 flex would be that far off of a weight/flex ratio? Am I wrong?

Anyone else make the switch? Any warnings or advice?
All other things being equal (they rarely are...but), if two sticks have the same stiffness the skinnier one is stronger.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I've been thinking about making the switch as well. The only problem is, I'm 5'8 but I like my sticks a little tall. I don't know if an Intermediate will be tall enough.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 5'8", use 75 flex sticks cut down about 6", and they're getting up close to 100 flex when cut. I'm hoping to try an intermediate in a pattern I like, but they're usually still pretty stiff. As someone above said, it seems like the thinner shaft material makes them stiffer, so even though it's listed at 65 flex, it often feels closer to 75.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I really think companies should start offering every stick in 2 different lengths. That would help them sell a lot more product, me thinks.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I really think companies should start offering every stick in 2 different lengths. That would help them sell a lot more product, me thinks.
Being a 6ft 4in and 235lb guy I have never been able to buy the right stick. It is one reason why I use shafts as you can get them in a high enough flex to not have a buttend affect the flex I need which is 100+. The only regular sticks I have seen lately that accomodate the tall heavy guy are the Bauer Supreme One95s that are the extra length ones with a 100+ flex.

It's about time! You short little hooligans have had it made for decades!

I would love to be able to use intermediate sticks, like stated here already they are cheaper and easier to find.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 04:38 AM
LTNINGFan

Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
Well, me being 5'7" and around 148ish, this speaks to me...now I need to find an intermediate to try. Any suggestions?

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTNINGFan View Post
Well, me being 5'7" and around 148ish, this speaks to me...now I need to find an intermediate to try. Any suggestions?
Sure, try the Bauer Vapor Apollo or the Bauer Vapor XVI. Both are low end sticks that will give you the feel for an intermediate without costing a fortune. You can then upgrade to something higher end if you like it.

I use a Vapor XVI as my backup stick.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:51 AM
paperclip maniac

I switched recently too(5'7, 165lbs), I ended up getting an Easton SC2 and a Bauer Vapor XII, got them both for about $65 off hockeygiant.com. The flex is definitely the biggest difference, I can actually load up on a shot and get some power behind it, although slappers are a little weird, because the blade has a tendency to bounce off the ice a little, so it takes a little getting used to, but I'm happy I made the switch.

side information: I like the Easton better than the Bauer, it just "feels" better.

paperclip maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:22 PM
jasonponty

For everyone offering advice or saying to go for it, thanks I think I'm gonna jump on board. I know it will take some getting use to but it will be worth it.

Glad a few other people got something out of this. When it comes to composites, companies should make them in different lengths as someone said. Not everyone is the same height and it would help the shorter players out there like me, a tremendous amount.

jasonponty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
LTNINGFan

Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Sure, try the Bauer Vapor Apollo or the Bauer Vapor XVI. Both are low end sticks that will give you the feel for an intermediate without costing a fortune. You can then upgrade to something higher end if you like it.

I use a Vapor XVI as my backup stick.
Thanks Devil, I will check those out

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

ive "used" an intermediate during a practice once. im 6'3 190ish, ive used a senior stick since i was probably 11. the intermediate stick i used was one of the kids i coach. the biggest noticeable differences were the flex, and the diameter of the shaft. the flex was like a 65 and felt like rubber and the smaller diameter made it feel like a tooth pick, i could never use an intermediate just cause of the smaller diameter of the shaft

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 08:01 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I've been thinking about making the switch as well. The only problem is, I'm 5'8 but I like my sticks a little tall. I don't know if an Intermediate will be tall enough.
I'm 5'9 and use a pretty tall stick. And I thought the same. But I switched to an intermediate Easton last year and it's just as tall as my old stick. Its over my eyes when I'm on foot.

I should start cutting my sticks down..but that's another story all together.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
ive "used" an intermediate during a practice once. im 6'3 190ish, ive used a senior stick since i was probably 11. the intermediate stick i used was one of the kids i coach. the biggest noticeable differences were the flex, and the diameter of the shaft. the flex was like a 65 and felt like rubber and the smaller diameter made it feel like a tooth pick, i could never use an intermediate just cause of the smaller diameter of the shaft
You're also six inches taller than us short people, which is about 25 flex difference.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:12 PM
AIREAYE

Im considering this too, im around 5'8,5'9 and around 125 lbs

Im using a NB Supreme One55 SR 87 cut down to around mid 90's, cant get significant power behind wrist shots

Im considering getting an INT NB Vapour XVI or an Easton SC6...which is better in terms of weight and puck feel?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:30 PM
mbush82

I just recently went from senior 85 flexes to a senior 70. The thing is I used to play with full lenth 85s, but I started cutting them down to right height and it was killing the flex (and my arms and wrists). Cutting down an intermediate 70 a few inches gives me what I feel is the perfect flex as a rec player. It's not noodley, but loads very easily. By the way I'm also at 5'8 too. Only problem now is I have a bunch of 85f that I don't think I'll ever use.

Also, the shaft I'm using is a easton synergy II tapered shaft, in case anyone is interested.

mbush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:39 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbush82 View Post
I just recently went from senior 85 flexes to a senior 70. The thing is I used to play with full lenth 85s, but I started cutting them down to right height and it was killing the flex (and my arms and wrists). Cutting down an intermediate 70 a few inches gives me what I feel is the perfect flex as a rec player. It's not noodley, but loads very easily. By the way I'm also at 5'8 too. Only problem now is I have a bunch of 85f that I don't think I'll ever use.

Also, the shaft I'm using is a easton synergy II tapered shaft, in case anyone is interested.
Do you know which sticks/lines have 70 SR flexes? and Im still wondering about the SC6 and XVI thanks

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:15 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Do you know which sticks/lines have 70 SR flexes? and Im still wondering about the SC6 and XVI thanks
TPS does a whip flex, which I believe is a 70. I don't know about the SC6 vs. the XVI, I have the XVI shaft which I like, but before that I had only used wood so I don't have much to compare it to. But it has a grip finish (don't think they make a non-grip version) which I'm not a fan of, so I don't think I'd buy it again. The SC6 looks like it comes in both grip and non-grip. Don't know if that's a factor at all, or different curve availability since they're different brands.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the bauers go to 77

remember though, if you cut it its going to be a higher flex making it stiffer

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:09 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
TPS does a whip flex, which I believe is a 70. I don't know about the SC6 vs. the XVI, I have the XVI shaft which I like, but before that I had only used wood so I don't have much to compare it to. But it has a grip finish (don't think they make a non-grip version) which I'm not a fan of, so I don't think I'd buy it again. The SC6 looks like it comes in both grip and non-grip. Don't know if that's a factor at all, or different curve availability since they're different brands.
75 but close enough

I would cut a whip down before going inter.
I personally find them way to fragile for mens league.

Mind you this is just my own personally opinion.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
3hirty6ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Im considering this too, im around 5'8,5'9 and around 125 lbs

Im using a NB Supreme One55 SR 87 cut down to around mid 90's, cant get significant power behind wrist shots

Im considering getting an INT NB Vapour XVI or an Easton SC6...which is better in terms of weight and puck feel?
I have an SC6 and I would say it's moderately blade heavy. The blade doesn't have the same zing after a year of use too. Don't know about the XVI.

3hirty6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:25 PM
FiveHole23

man I always thought Intermediate sticks were for women, lol.

After reading this thread and being 5'8" 130lbs soaking wet im thinking of looking into a Int. Stick. For what I have noticed no one in my roller leagues play with them but my wrist shot feels like it has no power.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote