HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Possibly moving to the Raleigh or Goldsboro area

Old
06-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Ric Flair

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
OT-Possibly moving to the Raleigh or Goldsboro area

Hello all. I haven't posted on HF for awhile and don't think. I ever posted on this forum, I mainly stuck to the Lounge and Entertainment sections. Anyway for those who have no idea who I am I am a male nurse(insert Gaylord Fokker joke here) who lives in Pittsburgh. I am currently considering taking a travel nurse job and two of the places I am seriously considering are in Raleigh and Goldsboro. I have never been to either and have only driven through NC on the way to SC or Atlanta. If anyone has any info on these areas good or bad I' greatly appreciate it. Cheers

Ric Flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
CioCio

Other people here can tell you about Raleigh, but my dad was born in Goldsboro. It's an area with military presence and there doesn't seem to be much to do there; Wilson is nearby I think, and I haven't been there in over a decade, but it was pretty boring too. Wal-Mart was the big attraction, to give you an idea. You ever stop in Wilson, try the Creamery - it's a local favorite and has some damn good food and milkshakes.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Ric Flair

Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Thanks CioCio, the only advantage I was thinking with Goldsboro over Raleigh would be its location closer to the beach.

Old
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Raleigh is close enough to the beach that you can make a day trip or weekend trip out of it. Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach is 1.5-2 hours away. If there are no other factors involved, then it is a no brainer to choose Raleigh. No offense to anyone from Goldsboro, but unless you just hate the city, I can't see why anyone would choose to live there unless job or cost of living dictated it.

I live here, so I guess I am biased, but I love Raleigh. There's a good chance that I will be moving away soon, and I will definitely miss it. It's a perfect blend of small town and big city to me, and the most exciting thing about it right now is that it's the fastest growing city in the country, and is projected to continue that until 2025. So, there are always new things opening and new things to do. It has many of the amenities of a big city but without the cost of living of one. There's also the semi-college town factor with NC State and then UNC and Duke nearby. There are of course downsides, like the terrible urban sprawl and non-existent public transportation, but both of these are slowly beginning to reverse course.

Also, you can't forget the most important upside: The Canes!

06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Ric Flair

Thank you very much Dale, I have heard lots of great things about Raleigh so I'd prolly have that as my first choice. It seems that the cost of living is very comparable to Pittsburgh which is very livable. If I do take the job it would prolly be starting around august but I may take a weekend trip down there before hand to scope things out.

Old
06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Raleigh doesn't have anywhere near as impressive a downtown as Pittsburgh (although it is growing fast), but they are similar in that they both have been on a lot of lists over the last few years for best cities to live in.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:15 PM
dogbazinho

I cant recommend Raleigh over Goldsboro enough especially for someone that might like a more 'urban' enviroment. I've lived in Raleigh for about 10 years and my sister moved to the Goldsboro area when she married. She is also a nurse, works in the Wilson area but I believe she worked in Goldsboro briefly. She makes frequent trips to the beach and although Goldsboro is a bit closer you'll only save a few minutes to the Wilmington beaches.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Not only that, but everyone in Wilson is crazy. I mean, I'm just sayin'.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

You will find living in the suburbs of Raleigh (minus cary and morrisville) to be way cheaper than Pittsburgh even...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
wisssh

Send a message via Yahoo to wisssh
another PA boy here...went to NC State about 20 years ago and never went back to PA...

You will find less culture shock in Raleigh than Goldsboro. If you play hockey...lots of leagues in Raleigh area...

wisssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Guy

Another recommendation for Raleigh over Goldsboro here.

I'm sure there are some passionate people who feel Goldsboro has that "charm" or whatever it is small towns in eastern NC have, but unless there's something specifically you want out of Goldsboro and Raleigh is an option, I'd choose Raleigh. Nothing against Goldsboro, I've never stepped foot in or around the place.

As far as the "closer to the beach" argument, I wouldn't let that sway your choice one way of the other, and if that's the only reason you'd want to go to Goldsboro you would be making a mistake. If you plan on heading to the beach several times a week maybe Goldsboro would be a better choice, but if you aren't planning on making at least 50 trips to the beach per year, I wouldn't let the fact that it's a little closer be a determining factor.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
jbk ltd
twitter @jbk_ltd

One other point...the healthcare market in Raleigh is outstanding. You have academic medical centers, large healthcare systems, community facilities, practices, and pharma. You won't have any issues staying employed or challenged.

We live in Raleigh as well and love it here. I'm an NC native but my husband is from Pittsburgh. Beach is an easy drive as others have mentioned.

jbk ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Anton Antoff

New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington is jonesin' for Nurses. Forget the hour+ drive; live at the beach.

Anton Antoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Ric Flair

Quote:
Originally Posted by InRodWeTrust View Post
New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington is jonesin' for Nurses. Forget the hour+ drive; live at the beach.
Thanks Rod, it all depends on where the travel agency has openings. The reason I'm doing it that way is so the agency covers room and board etc.

Old
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeousFrankenstein View Post
Thanks Rod, it all depends on where the travel agency has openings. The reason I'm doing it that way is so the agency covers room and board etc.
Sounds about right. Personally I would recommend the Raleigh area myself. I work for Duke Med and there is never a shortage of nurses here it seems. It also seems to be the case for all the other area hospitals as well.

The big reason I say pick Raleigh though is that there's just flat out more to do here and it's still easily close enough to the beach to pull off a day trip, or a weekend if you decide to go to Myrtle. Frankly I'd stick with the Wilmington area for hitting the beach after having gone to both extensively, I find Wilmington much cleaner, the big attraction to Myrtle for me anymore is the golf.

Honestly if you get assigned to one of the Durham hospitals or UNC I'd look into the Southpoint area of Durham. If you get assigned to Wake Med Cary or one of the other small hospitals in the area then I'd look at Apex. The commute is much more tollerable then having to jump down I-40 every day along with numerous others that are heading to RTP every morning. And if you're talking the Cary hospitals, Apex is just flat out closer and usually a much easier commute.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote