HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone excited about Oskar Osala??

Old
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
THREETWOONE

vCash: 500
Anyone excited about Oskar Osala??

Good day All,

I haven't seen Oskar Osala play on TV or in person, but judging by his play in the AHL(stats and write-ups) so far and assuming he continues his upward progression, theres a pretty good chance he'll be in the NHL in the near future. My question, is he going to get a chance at LW with the Caps (from what I can tell, he's listed as an LW, and Washington has Ovy and Semin already). Not the best combo too try to surpass and I'm thinking he should be on a scoring line

I don't know enought about the CAPS prospects to really come to a conculsion but I value others opinions so let me know what you think. I appreciate all answers...

THREETWOONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM

I hope he pans out cause we need a big winger to replace Kozlov. However, I personally have have prospects that I'm eager to see in a Caps sweater. Carlson, Gustaffson, and Varlamov + Alzner (For Good).

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yes.

Semin plays mainly on the RW these days but Osala will likely crack the lineup outside of the top 6 to begin with.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:11 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Yes I'm excited about Osala in purely the hockey prospect fashion.

That being said he feels a nice hole in the capital prospect pool considering the potential power-forwardness that might come to fruition. It is still aways obviously. Upward potential of a 2nd line LWer but considering his size and physical nature it isn't too hard to say that he could at least make it as a 3rd/4th line LWer. All that imo.

02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I think most people are excited about him. I've been excited since I saw him in development camp. He's a big body, and can put the puck in the net.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 10:55 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I have a few reservations...but I think he has a future role on the team.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I think of a potential line of Osala - Laich - Fehr, and that makes me happy. Maybe it's not a realistic line, but that could scary power if it ever were put together.

Yes, I'm excited about the Big O and his future with the org.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Panopticon

I always liked him, and hope he makes it to the NHL. Preferrably in a Caps uniform.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
The Viking Fury

I am.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
FrankM73

It's too early to talk line combos with Osala when he's goalless in his last 10 AHL games and has hit the wall with only 3 goals in his last 26 AHL games...

Give him another year to develop after this one! I don't think he'll be in DC next year except for a cup of coffee...

but... I'd like to think we could use a 6'4, 225lb, on our checking line to send out against opponents #1 or #2 lines...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Finnpin

Lifted this thread up.

So the season is over for AHL rookie Oskar Osala... he started really good then dropped a bit but found his game back and with little pp time put on some pretty good numbers:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=89696

He still needs to start shooting more but with that size he is very near to be a NHL-player.

So what do you think is Oskar´s chances at making the Caps team for season 09/10?

Last edited by Finnpin: 06-19-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Big fan of Osala's. Huge frame, good hands, good skater, and has shown a willingness to get dirty. Hopefully his icetime ramps up in Hershey next year, and his production accordingly increases.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 04:34 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I think the injuries to Fehr opens the door for Oskar to open the season here. A few preseason goals and it could happen. I hope to get him into 5-10 NHL games regardless. Rest the vets and get the kids more experience. I expect most all of his next year to be in Hershey though.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Pigeonfield

No.

I don't see it with this guy.

Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfield View Post
No.

I don't see it with this guy.
Care to elaborate?

Old
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Big fan of Osala's. Huge frame, good hands, good skater, and has shown a willingness to get dirty. Hopefully his icetime ramps up in Hershey next year, and his production accordingly increases.
Hopefully his willingness to get dirty translates into his willingness to park his huge body in front of the net, something this team desperately needs.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:00 PM
The Viking Fury

It looks like it Lady Ice. This is from watching some highlights, but it sure does seem like he'll do some of that.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 11:44 PM
um

whos better bourque or osala

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 12:04 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post
Hopefully his willingness to get dirty translates into his willingness to park his huge body in front of the net, something this team desperately needs.
I loved watching him when he got called up against the Bruins at Verizon. He basically went out of his way to go after Lucic whenever both were on the ice. I think, at the very least, we've got a future effective agitator on our hands.

Old
06-20-2009, 12:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
whos better bourque or osala
Bourque's a better player right now, but he's also two years older. Osala has a higher upside, and is a better prospect, IMO.

Old
06-20-2009, 02:21 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I'm still a bit confused at how physical this kid is. I had heard he was a pretty gritty player, but I saw one of his two games with the Caps in person, and I didn't really see anything physical from him (no hits, no particular presence in front of the net). And his AHL PIMs are pretty darn low (47 in 75 games) for a supposedly rough and tumble guy.

I'm not as optimistic about Osala as I was last year. Hopefully one more season in the AHL will allow him to break out.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:46 AM
EroCaps

I thought he used his size better than Fehr in his short time with the Caps.

Still has upside.

I don't see it with Bourque.

Great effort, good skater, AHL puck skills.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I'm still a bit confused at how physical this kid is. I had heard he was a pretty gritty player, but I saw one of his two games with the Caps in person, and I didn't really see anything physical from him (no hits, no particular presence in front of the net). And his AHL PIMs are pretty darn low (47 in 75 games) for a supposedly rough and tumble guy.
Well playing only 2 games up I guess he didn´t want to make any mistakes so trying to run there and hit everything he might have hurt the team. Just keeping it simple. Though that hitting game and grittiness is the thing he should do to get more playing time with the Caps.

I´d hate him to see AHL next year so why not to trade him for the Ducks in package including Pronger etc. I´m sure Carlyle would turn him to a NHLer faster than Caps org.

Last edited by Finnpin: 06-20-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:01 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I saw him play in one of his games as well. Expecting to see him full of energy flying in the forecheck; yeah it didnt happen. Finn is right he was probably afraid to get caught out of position. But to me, a coach should green light that. Tell the kid relax dont worry for a game, go have fun and work the forecheck. You are an injury callup, we are cap strapped and we have no room.

You know, if we dont have Kozlov Brashear Fehr heck even Feds in the lineup this fall, we are going to be a lot smaller up front. With our lack of team speed it seems inevitable that we get smaller. At the same time his size may be more valuable to us than ever. Our forward prospect pool otherwise seems kinda short to me. And thin.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Pigeonfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Care to elaborate?
I just dont think he's all that. He's got size and a decent shot.... But that's it, IMO. I don't think that it's going to be enough in the NHL.
Saw him in a couple of games in the reg. season and in a couple of games in the PO's and I did NOT see the awesome power forward I was hoping for. He just didn't seem to be giving that much of an effort.

Also, he pulled a complete dissapearing act in all of them but one (the games i watched).

I just dont think that all the people here who are gushing over him have actually seen him play...

Last edited by Pigeonfield: 06-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote