HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary - San Jose

Old
06-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Let someone else have Cammy. He's useless without a set-up man, and Iggy's a more capable scorer.
Useless without a setup man? Thats not true at all. He score 36 goals this year. had 11 goals in the first 10 games of the season last year before he got injured and had 34 goals before that. The guy can create his own goals.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
It's funny that you use 60 as a cutoff. He's had three 70+ point seasons, including two point-per-game. This one would've been too, if not for a torn MCL late in the season. With the exception of his terrible season two years ago (which is looking more and more like an aberration), he's a fairly sure bet for 30+ goals too.

Also, his defensive game is phenomenal, he's a terribly underrated leader and contrary to what everyone likes to believe, is a solid playoff performer.

And yeah, he had no 70+ point seasons before Thornton was acquired, but Thornton was acquired when Marleau was 25, just entering his prime years. But of course that would have nothing to do with it, he's obviously a leech, right? (Correlation is so much more fun than actual causation.)

6.3 is pretty fair for what he brings to the table.
I used 60 points because I consider a 60+ point player to be a legitimate 1st liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You look at his goal production the last six years and you'll see why it was fair. If you look at the team and realize that Patrick Marleau still on average, before being put on the same line as Thornton, was playing the best defensive pairing the opposition had to offer and not Thornton, you'll see why it was fair.

Hell, even this year Patrick Marleau carried Joe Thornton for the majority of the season until the injury bug took out the entire bottom six of the lineup and subsequently took Marleau out. You're not going to find a lot of players in this league scoring 25+ goals a year for a good portion of the last six years getting paid less than that.
I see his goal production... and if that makes Marleau a $6.3 million player then what does it make a guy like Langkow? he only has 29 fewer goals over the past 6 season but is widely considered to be overpaid... do those 4.8 goals per year really equate to Marleau being worth so much more?... I understand the leadership and such... but how is Langkow overpaid at 4.5 million but Marleau being market value at 1.8 million more?... If Marleau makes market value then you would think someone like Langkow would be considered market value too

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 10:24 AM
JorgeRocks!

Hits it pretty low right here

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I used 60 points because I consider a 60+ point player to be a legitimate 1st liner

I see his goal production... and if that makes Marleau a $6.3 million player then what does it make a guy like Langkow? he only has 29 fewer goals over the past 6 season but is widely considered to be overpaid... do those 4.8 goals per year really equate to Marleau being worth so much more?... I understand the leadership and such... but how is Langkow overpaid at 4.5 million but Marleau being market value at 1.8 million more?... If Marleau makes market value then you would think someone like Langkow would be considered market value too
You know there's more to being a legit 1st liner than 60 points. I don't believe I've made the claim that Daymond Langkow is overpaid because I don't think 4.5 for him would be that considering what he brings to the table.

The problem with this particular proposal is that there's just too much cap space going the other way and really no space in the lineup for them.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven93 View Post
Calgary:
Thornton

San Jose:
Jokinen
Nemisz
Langkow

They can get Cammallari back since Keenan is out
It's a fair deal in value, but I can't see SJ taking on two additional expensive centers when they'd still have Marleau.

I think Langkow stays and something else (1st rounder?) needs to subbed instead.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:49 PM
slayer1185

Calgary:
Thornton
Setoguchi

San Jose:
Langkow
Nemisz
Boyd
1st '09

slayer1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbons View Post
Calgary:
Thornton
Setoguchi

San Jose:
Langkow
Nemisz
Boyd
1st '09

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
scoringmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I assume by bad contract you mean signed to a great price but for only one year.

Cause Marleau took a big time home town discount, he's a bargain. Only reason sharks consider trading him is to change captains and not cause drama on the team.
I do not think Marleau should be paid 6.3 million unless he plays 90% of games on the top line.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Hell, even this year Patrick Marleau carried Joe Thornton for the majority of the season
The names should be reversed.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:05 PM
piere McGuire*

too much salary for san jose to take on

piere McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
I don't see either Marleau or Thornton going to a rival like the Flames.
Indeed I am with you on that one!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
I do not think Marleau should be paid 6.3 million unless he plays 90% of games on the top line.
Marleau is very much the center Montreal should be craving....If you go throught the FA's for July 1st, you will not find anything close to Marleau to sign.....I say, go get him MOLSON!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:52 PM
DarKarTs

Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
Definitely not if you watched a lot of sharks games this year you would see this

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
LOL - didn't watch too many sharks games did you..?

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
You know there's more to being a legit 1st liner than 60 points. I don't believe I've made the claim that Daymond Langkow is overpaid because I don't think 4.5 for him would be that considering what he brings to the table.

The problem with this particular proposal is that there's just too much cap space going the other way and really no space in the lineup for them.
you may not have said Langkow is overpaid... but that seems to be the general consensus amongst fans... I am still leary to say Marleau is worth 6.3 million because he does not spend enough time on the top line

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbons View Post
Calgary:
Thornton
Setoguchi

San Jose:
Langkow
Nemisz
Boyd
1st '09

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you may not have said Langkow is overpaid... but that seems to be the general consensus amongst fans... I am still leary to say Marleau is worth 6.3 million because he does not spend enough time on the top line
Since when? He spent the entire year on the top line and put home 38 goals being the team's MVP until he was injured. He was given that 6.3 mil contract after coming off of back-to-back 30+ goal seasons on the delegated 2nd line. The only reason he played on that line was because they had nobody good enough to play it until this year when Pavelski was finally ready.

If you don't believe Marleau's a top line player worth the money, you never will because the same excuses will always be there even if it was a bad one to begin with. People will always say Joe Thornton's the reason even when it's not. The Joe Thornton factor makes the team a winner during the season but so far has only had a minimal affect on Patrick Marleau's ability to produce.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote