HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Homegrown Defensemen

Old
06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Might as well pass on Fedorov then. They could probably move a couple more veterans for picks on draft day and make room for a couple more AHL prospects. Why not rebuild the rebuild?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:32 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think some people can't see how effective in general Schultz is. Maybe I am totally off base, but if he was a bad player he would not have been playing the minutes and games he did.

You can poo poo that plus minus stat all you want to, but if the Caps were playing 5 on 4 plus Schultz like some here seem to think, there is no way they are a plus team much less the player in question carrying such a big number.
Look I think he's a decent poke checker. But really is that what we need out out of someone who is 6'6'. His game is so one dimensional it is bothersome that he takes up a roster spot.

Look at the rest of the defensemen:

Mike Green is all world so enough said.

Tom Poti is can run a PP as well as play defense.

Brian Pothier while being decent defensively can actually move the puck up ice.

Mo, Erskine and Jurcina are decent defensively, but they can also physically move a person out of the crease and demonstrate a wllingness to do so. Plus Jurcina has a powerful shot that he doesn't use often enough.

Karl Alzner is a great defender plus he can actually move the puck up ice and make a decent outlet pass.

My whole point is if you can't skate with the puck, pass the puck out of the zone, have no offensive ability and you aren't willing to hit someone despite being huge....what's the point of giving him a roster spot?

He's not the worst defenseman ever, but he just doesn't bring anything more than pokechecking.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Might as well pass on Fedorov then.
Agreed. I'd much rather see them trade for a second/third line center under 40, but I doubt it will happen.

Quote:
They could probably move a couple more veterans for picks on draft day and make room for a couple more AHL prospects. Why not rebuild the rebuild?
Don't be such a drama queen. You're the one who always says this defense needs experience. I'm just agreeing with you. Throw in a little healthy skepticism regarding GMGM's ability to bring in a veteran difference maker on the blueline, and my conclusion dovetails with your theories nicely.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Might as well pass on Fedorov then. They could probably move a couple more veterans for picks on draft day and make room for a couple more AHL prospects. Why not rebuild the rebuild?
Experience means next to nothing if a player isn't effective.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:30 AM
dbui72

Quote:
Defense is still more of a mix of experience and talent than the other positions. Being able to read the play and learn how to play the players takes time.

I'd be fine with letting Carlson play first pair defense head up against the big offensive dogs just so that it will have been done and you could see the results.

I stand by my pov. A top 4 of Alzner, Green, Carlson and Poti in front of a rookie goalie would be near a disaster in the standings.

I think Alzner can handle 2nd pair top 4 minutes in part because he plays a simple game. He will make rookie mistakes and will have growing pains. I think Carlson will be an impact player given time to grow.

However, I think the idea that these two players are ready to be primary defensemen on a Top 4 team in the east is just plain over the top expecting too much.

I dont see anything wrong with getting Carlson and Alzner some tiime in the NHL, even top line pairings.

If Carlson proves better than Juice or Mo, then so be it. I doubt he is ready but I would give him a try.

Also with Mo probably gone and the fact that Semin and Backstrom will be getting a huge raise, that does not leave too much money for quality defense with the holes we need to fill in 2nd line center and 1st line RW.

I do not think this will be a Cup run year either, but the sooner we acclimate the guys the better we will in the long run. Schultz can go. I think Lepisto should be given a legimate shot at Pothiers spot. Who is younger and he Lepisto put up points in the few games he was up here.

Also think about the rookies like Bourque and Osala or Bouchard who might make it. I think this team will have a few new faces in the lineup this year with rookies with the departure of Feds and Kozlov. Also I don't think Clark will be in the future plans in the next year or two. So with all these new faces I do not think this will be a cup run this year. We might as well acclerate the process.

We can talk about vets but realistically I do not see any we can afford or get without trading our prospects.

I like Slava Kozlov of Atlanta and maybe a Brennan Shanahan, but no clue on D.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:33 AM
dbui72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I think a step backward this year is inevitable, so might as well get Alzner and Carlson (not to mention Varlamov and Neuvirth) some NHL experience.
I like your pragmatic and realistic view of the situation.

It is envitable with the cap(upcoming raises) and additional new faces on the forward lines as well. Might as well get everyone on board who will be expected to be here now.

Old
06-20-2009, 08:35 AM
dbui72

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Look I think he's a decent poke checker. But really is that what we need out out of someone who is 6'6'. His game is so one dimensional it is bothersome that he takes up a roster spot.

Look at the rest of the defensemen:

Mike Green is all world so enough said.

Tom Poti is can run a PP as well as play defense.

Brian Pothier while being decent defensively can actually move the puck up ice.

Mo, Erskine and Jurcina are decent defensively, but they can also physically move a person out of the crease and demonstrate a wllingness to do so. Plus Jurcina has a powerful shot that he doesn't use often enough.

Karl Alzner is a great defender plus he can actually move the puck up ice and make a decent outlet pass.

My whole point is if you can't skate with the puck, pass the puck out of the zone, have no offensive ability and you aren't willing to hit someone despite being huge....what's the point of giving him a roster spot?

He's not the worst defenseman ever, but he just doesn't bring anything more than pokechecking.
Well said. He is serviceable but redundant. I would like another Erskine type who is edgey and willing to drop the gloves, especially if we do not sign Bradshear.

Old
06-20-2009, 08:43 AM
dbui72

Anyone see Steve Sullivan playing with Ovi on the RW?