HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone excited about Oskar Osala??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2009, 01:17 PM
  #26
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfield View Post
I just dont think he's all that. He's got size and a decent shot.... But that's it, IMO. I don't think that it's going to be enough in the NHL.
Saw him in a couple of games in the reg. season and in a couple of games in the PO's and I did NOT see the awesome power forward I was hoping for. He just didn't seem to be giving that much of an effort.

Also, he pulled a complete dissapearing act in all of them but one (the games i watched).

I just dont think that all the people here who are gushing over him have actually seen him play...
I've seen him play plenty of times, including for almost two for weeks in development and rookie camp. He's got some great tools.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:36 PM
  #27
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfield View Post
I just dont think he's all that. He's got size and a decent shot.... But that's it, IMO. I don't think that it's going to be enough in the NHL.
Saw him in a couple of games in the reg. season and in a couple of games in the PO's and I did NOT see the awesome power forward I was hoping for. He just didn't seem to be giving that much of an effort.

Also, he pulled a complete dissapearing act in all of them but one (the games i watched).

I just dont think that all the people here who are gushing over him have actually seen him play...
Please tell us some more of your thoughts when you´ve seen more than just couple of x 2 games!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
  #28
Pigeonfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Please tell us some more of your thoughts when you´ve seen more than just couple of x 2 games!
Do they not teach reason or logic in Finland?

I said I've seen a couple of games in the regular season and then a couple of games in the playoffs.

"A couple" often doesnt mean just 2 games. It means a few games. And specifically this time it means 6 games in the regular season and 10 games in the playoffs... That's 16 games.

Would you consider that "more" than just "couple of x 2 games"? (Whatever that means) Is it ok if I come back with my opinion now?

You don't have to agree with what I say, I respect that.

But don't make an ass out of yourself unless you have to. [HOLDS UP "HELP" SIGN WITH SMILEY FACE]

Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 06:52 PM
  #29
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfield View Post
Do they not teach reason or logic in Finland?

I said I've seen a couple of games in the regular season and then a couple of games in the playoffs.

"A couple" often doesnt mean just 2 games. It means a few games. And specifically this time it means 6 games in the regular season and 10 games in the playoffs... That's 16 games.

Would you consider that "more" than just "couple of x 2 games"? (Whatever that means) Is it ok if I come back with my opinion now?

You don't have to agree with what I say, I respect that.

But don't make an ass out of yourself unless you have to. [HOLDS UP "HELP" SIGN WITH SMILEY FACE]
Oh, the irony. His response was completely warranted. You essentially attacked peoples credibility to judge Osala while saying that you'd only seen a couple of games. And I agree with him, "a couple" usually means two.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 07:20 PM
  #30
Pigeonfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Oh, the irony. His response was completely warranted. You essentially attacked peoples credibility to judge Osala while saying that you'd only seen a couple of games. And I agree with him, "a couple" usually means two.
Wait, what? Attacked peoples credibility? WHAT?

I said some of the people who are gushing over him might not have seen him play that much.

It was an assumption.

Which I based on the OP who stated he has seen nothing of Osala but yet were excited, so it's not like it was completely unwarranted.

You stated you've seen a lot of him and think he's going to be good, I stated I've seen a fair amount of him and I just dont see what you're seeing. That's fine, we can just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.

The one who did the "attacking" was the poster I replied to earlier. He mocked my opinion, not the other way around. And you think that's warranted?



I'm still at a loss how you considered my earlier post to attack ANYONES credibility.

I stated my PERSONAL opinion and then said that (going by the OP) some people who are excited over this kid MIGHT not have seen him play.

Jeez.


Last edited by Pigeonfield: 06-20-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 07:31 PM
  #31
Pigeonfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Also, I'm a bit curious....

Finnpin, how many games have you seen Osala play in North America?

Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:02 PM
  #32
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfield View Post
Wait, what? Attacked peoples credibility? WHAT?

I said some of the people who are gushing over him might not have seen him play that much.

It was an assumption.

Which I based on the OP who stated he has seen nothing of Osala but yet were excited, so it's not like it was completely unwarranted.

You stated you've seen a lot of him and think he's going to be good, I stated I've seen a fair amount of him and I just dont see what you're seeing. That's fine, we can just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.

The one who did the "attacking" was the poster I replied to earlier. He mocked my opinion, not the other way around. And you think that's warranted?



I'm still at a loss how you considered my earlier post to attack ANYONES credibility.

I stated my PERSONAL opinion and then said that (going by the OP) some people who are excited over this kid MIGHT not have seen him play.

Jeez.
These couple of statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfield View Post
Do they not teach reason or logic in Finland?

Would you consider that "more" than just "couple of x 2 games"? (Whatever that means) Is it ok if I come back with my opinion now?

But don't make an ass out of yourself unless you have to. [HOLDS UP "HELP" SIGN WITH SMILEY FACE]
You're the one being an ***, not Finnpin.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:19 PM
  #33
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfield View Post
Wait, what? Attacked peoples credibility? WHAT?

I said some of the people who are gushing over him might not have seen him play that much.

It was an assumption.

Which I based on the OP who stated he has seen nothing of Osala but yet were excited, so it's not like it was completely unwarranted.

You stated you've seen a lot of him and think he's going to be good, I stated I've seen a fair amount of him and I just dont see what you're seeing. That's fine, we can just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.

The one who did the "attacking" was the poster I replied to earlier. He mocked my opinion, not the other way around. And you think that's warranted?



I'm still at a loss how you considered my earlier post to attack ANYONES credibility.

I stated my PERSONAL opinion and then said that (going by the OP) some people who are excited over this kid MIGHT not have seen him play.

Jeez.
Oh please, it was implied in this statement:

Quote:
I just dont think that all the people here who are gushing over him have actually seen him play...
Essentially, you were implying that you were right and others were wrong, because they hadn't seen him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:41 PM
  #34
Pigeonfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Essentially, you were implying that you were right and others were wrong, because they hadn't seen him.
I didn't mean it that way, not at all.
I meant exactly what I said, word by word, no underlying "implying" at ALL.

If you took it that way I'm sorry, but as I said, that's not what I meant.


And Backstrom #19; to resort to basic logic... Finnpin mocked my post first, I responded in kind.

I'm sorry I'm not as seasoned of a poster as Finnpin and therefore do not get the same support, but I was just stating my opinion on Osala (which is what this thread is for). It wasn't in support of him, but not all posts can be, right?

Peace, fellas.

Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:47 PM
  #35
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Whatever ones opinion of OO is he will always be held here in high regard as a prospect until he shows otherwise simply because his style is limited in our prospects...

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:14 PM
  #36
Pigeonfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Whatever ones opinion of OO is he will always be held here in high regard as a prospect until he shows otherwise simply because his style is limited in our prospects...
That's exactly my point.

I think some (not all, some) Caps fans are looking at Osala and seeing what they want to see, which is a superiourly talented gritty power forward with a knack for crashing the net and scoring goals.

I completely agree that the Caps need such a player... but based on what I've seen of Osala, my personal opinion is that he is not that guy.
He does some of those things and he has talent, but I don't think it'll be enough.

Peace.

Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:39 AM
  #37
LetsGoBears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I'm still a bit confused at how physical this kid is. I had heard he was a pretty gritty player, but I saw one of his two games with the Caps in person, and I didn't really see anything physical from him (no hits, no particular presence in front of the net). And his AHL PIMs are pretty darn low (47 in 75 games) for a supposedly rough and tumble guy.

I'm not as optimistic about Osala as I was last year. Hopefully one more season in the AHL will allow him to break out.
Overall I would say he doesn't use the size on the front end, but uses it more to gain the upper hand. If that makes sense for you. Although someone seemed to light a fire under his ass in the playoffs! Those last 22 games really liked what I was seeing out that compared to the rest of the year.

He's got the tools, give him one more year in Hershey we might have a great player on our hands.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 04:14 AM
  #38
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,998
vCash: 500
What's OO's upside really? Will he ever score 30? Is he a 20g, 50pt potential player?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 04:19 AM
  #39
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,523
vCash: 500
#25 Pigeonfield: "Saw him in a couple of games in the reg. season and in a couple of games in the PO's"

#25 Pigeonfield: "I just dont think that all the people here who are gushing over him have actually seen him play..."

Hold your horses Pigeonfield. I still feel my answer was acceptable (though I could have left the help-sign off) and sorry you were offended...why didn´t you say at first you´ve seen almost around 20 games from him...that isn´t "couple times 2 times" at least here in Finland. I now can respect your words/opinion in post #25 and after...

Peace!


Last edited by Finnpin: 06-21-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:42 AM
  #40
Pigeonfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
#25 Pigeonfield: "Saw him in a couple of games in the reg. season and in a couple of games in the PO's"

#25 Pigeonfield: "I just dont think that all the people here who are gushing over him have actually seen him play..."

Hold your horses Pigeonfield. I still feel my answer was acceptable (though I could have left the help-sign off) and sorry you were offended...why didn´t you say at first you´ve seen almost around 20 games from him...that isn´t "couple times 2 times" at least here in Finland. I now can respect your words/opinion in post #25 and after...

Peace!
Lol, it's all good, I respect your opinion too. I just overreacted a bit I guess. I just figured "a couple" was usually taken as more then 2 but I could be wrong,

I would LOVE if Osala developed into our #1 RW, and became "our" Power Forward... And he very well might.

I just dont think that he will.

Pigeonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.