HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Sock Recommendations?

Old
06-20-2009, 02:21 AM
hkyplayer03

vCash: 500
Skate Sock Recommendations?

I've been using the Under Armour HeatGear Hockey Liner Socks for a while, felt great the first couple of times, almost as if I'm barefoot. But because of the tedious positioning of the raised bottom of the sock my foot gets sore on the sides some games. Kind of a hit and miss.

Which skate sock do you use and recommend?

Most of the hockey socks available on market:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/skatesocks.html

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 06:11 AM
paulster2626

You liked that sock because it almost felt like being barefoot. Why not go with bare feet? It's what I've done ever since I was 12 and got a blister during a game. Took my skate off, took my sock off, put the skate back on and never looked back.

Saves you from having to wash socks all the time as well.

Just get ready to deal with the smell of hot death coming from your skates. I like to see the guy's eyes water who does my sharpening.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Badwolf

Send a message via MSN to Badwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Just get ready to deal with the smell of hot death coming from your skates. I like to see the guy's eyes water who does my sharpening.
Sadist

Badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:18 AM
vivianmb

i go barefoot. my skates smell like any others, no worse. just remove the footbeds and let 'em dry after each use, and they'll be fine.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 12:15 PM
stick9

Smell is the biggest downer to going barefoot, infection is. If you find a sock that offers the same feel, you'd be crazy not to wear em. The risk of infection alone is worth it.

I use the UA socks and swear by them, but they aren't the only one out there. CCM's OxySox is supposed to be really good. Also, look at a low profile ski sock if you can't find a skate sock you like.

If you don't want to wear a moisture wicking sock, try a regular dress sock.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Smell is the biggest downer to going barefoot, infection is. If you find a sock that offers the same feel, you'd be crazy not to wear em. The risk of infection alone is worth it.

I use the UA socks and swear by them, but they aren't the only one out there. CCM's OxySox is supposed to be really good. Also, look at a low profile ski sock if you can't find a skate sock you like.

I saw some Shock Doctor skate socks but left them on the rack. Didn't want to pay $20 if the benefits really are not all that.

Anybody here ever use the ShockDoctor ones? Are they worth a try?

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 05:35 PM
vivianmb

Quote:

24 years infection free.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Well if anyone cares I found a sock I like earlier this evening. It isn't made for skates but it works very well.

I bought two pair of men's soccer socks, the ones made to put pads in. They go up over the calf like the skate socks and are spandex like fitting like the hockey skate socks.

I wore my skates around the house for a while and they felt wonderful. I will be skating tomorrow with my new skates and now new skate socks. Everything should be fine as everything fit nice and snug like a glove.

2 pair for $4 for Starter soccer socks.... neat!

Old
06-21-2009, 04:08 AM
IniNew

Men's dress socks are an alternative to bare-foot. They're there, but you barely feel them.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:49 AM
paperclip maniac

I wear these:

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...ck/8503271-001

paperclip maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:59 PM
LarryO

I wear sock liners like these. They're moisture-wicking and are so thin that it's the closest thing to being barefoot.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I wear sock liners like these. They're moisture-wicking and are so thin that it's the closest thing to being barefoot.
WigWam is a solid company.

I'm a big fan of the Bauer Vapor sock and the Easton skate sock.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:47 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I saw some Shock Doctor skate socks but left them on the rack. Didn't want to pay $20 if the benefits really are not all that.

Anybody here ever use the ShockDoctor ones? Are they worth a try?
That is a little steep. That's more than I paid for my UA long sleeve undershirt.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:02 AM
densetsu

On messageboards, it seems like I'm one of the few people who admits to wearing just a regular, cotton, athletic sock (although the vast majority of my teammates across multiple teams also wear cotton socks). I've always worn cotton socks, they haven't given me much trauma, so I stick with them. Besides, I don't want to pay $20 for a friggin' pair of socks.

I've only had a blister once in the last five years. Solution for me? Cover it in first-aid tape or moleskin. Problem solved.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:13 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
On messageboards, it seems like I'm one of the few people who admits to wearing just a regular, cotton, athletic sock (although the vast majority of my teammates across multiple teams also wear cotton socks). I've always worn cotton socks, they haven't given me much trauma, so I stick with them. Besides, I don't want to pay $20 for a friggin' pair of socks.

I've only had a blister once in the last five years. Solution for me? Cover it in first-aid tape or moleskin. Problem solved.
You should try something nicer. If nothing else, they keep your foot dryer and more comfortable.

I've skated in cotton socks before fine, but they're not as comfy as the mid weight hiking socks I normally use.

And you don't have to pay $20. I agree, that's a ripoff.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I went to Target and bought some thin dress socks, something like 3 pairs for $5. Less sock means the fit is more "one" with the skate, I get a better feel for the edges, etc.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
That is a little steep. That's more than I paid for my UA long sleeve undershirt.
That's what I'm saying ... if they were reasonably priced I would have gotten a pair to try out at least.

I found those $4 for 2 pair soccer socks and they are working out extremely well.