HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren Q 'n A with Wayne Fish/PhillyBurbs.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2009, 04:36 PM
  #1
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,771
vCash: 1900
Holmgren Q 'n A with Wayne Fish/PhillyBurbs.com

Quote:
Even though the Flyers have gone home for the summer, the light stays on late in general manager Paul Holmgren's office.

From debating offseason moves, to the upcoming draft, to assessing his own team, Holmgren has been busier than ever.

Holmgren took some time from his hectic schedule to discuss the state of the Flyers during a recent interview with Flyers beat writer Wayne Fish.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...decisions.html

__________________
Last winning sire of each Triple Crown race. 25-year anniversary as the only horse to win the Florida Derby, Kentucky Derby and Breeders' Cup Classic. Unrivaled. Unmatched. UNBRIDLED.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:01 PM
  #2
curtisinpa
Registered User
 
curtisinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Good interview. Good to see Holmgren address the inconsistencies in Lupuls game, hopefully Lupul works on his discipline, gets stronger in the off season and comes out the 40 goal scorer Holmgren thinks he can be (alot like Carter last off season)

curtisinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:04 PM
  #3
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Looking to make drastic changes? Interesting.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
  #4
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Hmmm, he doesn't sound like a GM who is about to move big names to bring in a potential top tier D-man... But he did leave the door ajar.

Thanks for posting the interview.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:13 PM
  #5
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Looking to make drastic changes? Interesting.
That was an aside, at the end, after he said that he wants to keep the team in place with slight changes if possible... And he did change it to hedge on the word "drastic".

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:15 PM
  #6
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
I thought the fact that they had to address the night life issues was an interesting spot. I'm sure others on here will make a big deal about it, but fact is this is a young team with a bunch of young multi-millionaires on here and if they weren't going out, I'd find that disturbing. The fact that they mentioned there were players late for practices also raised some eyebrows. I think everyone has had a taste of the night life, they've gotten it out of their systems and now they're going to be ready for work.

I'm surprised to read about the conditioning too. I remember that when Stevens took over, he said that everyone on the team was in poor shape conditioning wise and that he wanted everyone to be back in the fall in the best shape of their lives. Looks like the same riot act might need to be read again, especially after reading about Lupul, which is especially disappointing. He's really got a lot of questions to answer this year and if he starts out slow, his head should be rightfully on the chopping block.

Either way, Holmgren and company need to bring in another veteran or two who know something about work ethic so that it rubs off on everyone.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:20 PM
  #7
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ
 
WhiskeyBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
I'm surprised no one has commented on the GM's discussion of the team's discipline, or lack thereof (especially as it pertains to the players' off-ice activities), since such subject matter has been so hotly debated on this board in the past.

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:21 PM
  #8
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ
 
WhiskeyBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I thought the fact that they had to address the night life issues was an interesting spot. I'm sure others on here will make a big deal about it, but fact is this is a young team with a bunch of young multi-millionaires on here and if they weren't going out, I'd find that disturbing. The fact that they mentioned there were players late for practices also raised some eyebrows. I think everyone has had a taste of the night life, they've gotten it out of their systems and now they're going to be ready for work.

I'm surprised to read about the conditioning too. I remember that when Stevens took over, he said that everyone on the team was in poor shape conditioning wise and that he wanted everyone to be back in the fall in the best shape of their lives. Looks like the same riot act might need to be read again, especially after reading about Lupul, which is especially disappointing. He's really got a lot of questions to answer this year and if he starts out slow, his head should be rightfully on the chopping block.

Either way, Holmgren and company need to bring in another veteran or two who know something about work ethic so that it rubs off on everyone.....

I see what you did there

Apparently I posted by observation simultaneously as you posted your own.

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:25 PM
  #9
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
I'm glad they addressed the night life situation. I've heard stories from some people who know a Dental Ice girl who hangs out with the team. It always worried me that they do what they do and have a game the next day. I think the players do need to cut back on their night life a little bit if they want to take it to the next level.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
  #10
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I'm glad they addressed the night life situation. I've heard stories from some people who know a Dental Ice girl who hangs out with the team. It always worried me that they do what they do and have a game the next day. I think the players do need to cut back on their night life a little bit if they want to take it to the next level.
The Cup teams' players were out in SJ before there were cell phone cameras and digital cameras, before the Internet and Blogs, Boards and Twitter information... before there was an Old City nightlife and the need to gossip and spread to all who'll listen how the boys like to party. The news of their appearances at the local haunts were sidelights in the Evening Bulletin, Daily News and Inquire... the proof was in the personal witnessing as we ourselves hit the local bars and clubs to relieve our own hard day's stress... No one knew much, and no one cared much... There were players in the NHL with problems, some couldn't make it due to booze and/or drugs... many survived as we did at work.

Now-a-days a player burps at the Continental and a cell phone records it for the Internet and there is a Twitter line report... A player takes a joke photograph with a bottle of booze -- with the cap clearly in place -- and it is all over the hockey-world blogs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same... The players haven't changed but the technology surrounding those players lives have.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:06 PM
  #11
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
The Cup teams' players were out in SJ before there were cell phone cameras and digital cameras, before the Internet and Blogs, Boards and Twitter information... before there was an Old City nightlife and the need to gossip and spread to all who'll listen how the boys like to party. The news of their appearances at the local haunts were sidelights in the Evening Bulletin, Daily News and Inquire... the proof was in the personal witnessing as we ourselves hit the local bars and clubs to relieve our own hard day's stress... No one knew much, and no one cared much... There were players in the NHL with problems, some couldn't make it due to booze and/or drugs... many survived as we did at work.

Now-a-days a player burps at the Continental and a cell phone records it for the Internet and there is a Twitter line report... A player takes a joke photograph with a bottle of booze -- with the cap clearly in place -- and it is all over the hockey-world blogs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same... The players haven't changed but the technology surrounding those players lives have.
Well said.

Today's players are tame compared to some of the stories that have come out of the 60's and 70's. They just weren't broadcast all over the place.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:10 PM
  #12
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Well said.

Today's players are tame compared to some of the stories that have come out of the 60's and 70's. They just weren't broadcast all over the place.
Today's game is also played at a completely different level now. In my opinion, in general, players are much more talented and conditioned.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:11 PM
  #13
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,771
vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Well said.

Today's players are tame compared to some of the stories that have come out of the 60's and 70's. They just weren't broadcast all over the place.
I'm convinced the association is dependant on winning and losing. Reggie Leach's escapade the night prior to him scoring five goals in a playoff game is legendary (the wonders of coffee).

It is a bit dated but nonetheless a prime example and that is the three consecutive championships of the Oakland A's in the 1970s. Supposedly, those guys got in fist fights, one even went to the home of another player to brawl. I mentioned before on HF an interview I heard with Rollie Fingers where he said Reggie Jackson refused to tag up from third base when Sal Bando hit a deep fly ball because he didn't want Bando to get the RBI (at the time, Jackson got a bonus if he led the team in RBIs). If you lose, that stuff is almost criminal but if you win it is almost comical.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
  #14
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,751
vCash: 5888
He specifically mentioned showing up late for practice...who's been doing that?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
  #15
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
It is interesting that most of the stuff I've mentioned as being a problem (possible overindulgence in nightlife, poor conditioning, poor discipline) has been mentioned, so I guess that's good that the organization recognizes it.

Still though, starts at the top...

EDIT: Also interesting that Holmgren seems to be agreeing with the stuff I've been saying about Lupul and also seems to think Lupul will be here next year.

Could just be playing his cards close to the chest though.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:42 PM
  #16
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It is interesting that most of the stuff I've mentioned as being a problem (possible overindulgence in nightlife, poor conditioning, poor discipline) has been mentioned, so I guess that's good that the organization recognizes it.

Still though, starts at the top...

EDIT: Also interesting that Holmgren seems to be agreeing with the stuff I've been saying about Lupul and also seems to think Lupul will be here next year.

Could just be playing his cards close to the chest though.
Yes, but that tells you how weak our coaching staff is.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
  #17
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Yes, but that tells you how weak our coaching staff is.
Yeah, no kidding.

Again, to reiterate, I have no problem with the general concept of partying, these guys are young multimillionaires, I'd be worried if they weren't having a good time.

My worry is that this team appears to like to party (again, no problem) and then they can't win faceoffs and they can't stay out of the penalty box and apparently they can't stay in shape. If that's a problem, then I think you need to tone it down a little or at least make sure it doesn't interfere with staying in shape and staying out of the box.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:04 PM
  #18
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I'm convinced the association is dependant on winning and losing.
I agree. We saw that this year. If Hartnell's glove toss contributes to a Flyers loss, he's the villain. But they won, so it was hilarious.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:13 PM
  #19
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
In all fairness CG, Stevens never found it funny or made any jokes about it.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:14 PM
  #20
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He specifically mentioned showing up late for practice...who's been doing that?
That seemed to be painted with a broad brush, as opposed to the specific questions and answers... I'm hoping that it is isolated occurrences by multiple players. Quite possibly some of them may well be stemming from home chores and problems from the married players, as well as oversleeping and rushing across the bridge by the Old City Gang... Child's flu kept so and so awake, and needed caring for in the morning, before school; it isn't 100% left for the womenfolk you know... and the concern definitely isn't. That is my hope anyway.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just looking at the half full glass too.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:16 PM
  #21
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
In all fairness CG, Stevens never found it funny or made any jokes about it.
He may have been the only one.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:17 PM
  #22
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
I shudder to think of how good this team could be if we reined in the "lazy penalties." If they address that alone, we'll be much better this year. Boumeester's sound positioning and speed for 25 minutes a night would go a long ways towards helping in this area.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:25 PM
  #23
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
The Cup teams' players were out in SJ before there were cell phone cameras and digital cameras, before the Internet and Blogs, Boards and Twitter information... before there was an Old City nightlife and the need to gossip and spread to all who'll listen how the boys like to party. The news of their appearances at the local haunts were sidelights in the Evening Bulletin, Daily News and Inquire... the proof was in the personal witnessing as we ourselves hit the local bars and clubs to relieve our own hard day's stress... No one knew much, and no one cared much... There were players in the NHL with problems, some couldn't make it due to booze and/or drugs... many survived as we did at work.

Now-a-days a player burps at the Continental and a cell phone records it for the Internet and there is a Twitter line report... A player takes a joke photograph with a bottle of booze -- with the cap clearly in place -- and it is all over the hockey-world blogs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same... The players haven't changed but the technology surrounding those players lives have.

In the original debate of the nightlife issue, I made a similar argument. The "partying" isn't new..etc etc. However, I think the difference between now and then was mentioned also -- the players that play now adays play at a different level. I think across the board, conditioning is better and players take their health and workouts more seriously. Obviously, there are exceptions, however if 75% of the league is NOT partying, or partying at a minimum and is more focused on conditioning, the 25% is going to lag behind.

Hopefully this is something that is fixed.... along with many other things, LOL.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:37 PM
  #24
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
He may have been the only one.
Ain't that the truth? Personally, I was still laughing about it a few hours afterwards. And still am...

Does Stevens find anything funny?

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:40 PM
  #25
FlyerX
Registered User
 
FlyerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
I'm looking forward to the new season. Homer addressed the bad finish, but not the awful start. They need a good camp. They need to set the tone early and be more consistent. I agree with Homer that what we're seeing is part of the maturation process . . . for now.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.