HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi Interview Series

Old
06-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Muzzfan

vCash: 500
Dean Lombardi Interview Series

Hello everyone.

I just read the first part of a series from an interview with Dean Lombardi one-on-one with Gann Matsuda on Frozen Royalty. In this first part, DL talks about Goaltending and Defense.

Here is the link to part 1:

http://frozenroyalty.net/2009/06/21/...e-goaltending/

Here is the link to part 2: (posted 6/23/09)

http://frozenroyalty.net/2009/06/23/...d-of-schedule/

Part 3: http://frozenroyalty.net/2009/06/24/...ams/#more-2305

Good Stuff!

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-24-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added link to part 3
Muzzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Zeno

Quote:
“Remember, he went down back to junior, pouted for awhile and everything else,” Lombardi explained. “Even this year, when we called up Quick, [Bernier] did not work hard in practice. He thought this was going to be an easy ride to the NHL.

“[Bernier has] always been one of the top goaltenders in Canada his whole life,” Lombardi elaborated. “It’s all been fairly easy because he’s so talented and he thought he would go right to the Kings. When it didn’t happen, he didn’t want to work hard. One of the biggest complaints we had was, ‘you’re not coming up here until you learn to work hard in practice.’ He didn’t do it. When we called up Quick, he kind of went over the way on us. We actually called up [goalie prospect] Danny Taylor. We played him in Manchester.”
Wow, I knew Bernier had trouble dealing with it but I didn't know he was being such a brat.

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Wow, I knew Bernier had trouble dealing with it but I didn't know he was being such a brat.
Goal tenders have egos! Good part is he seems to have popped his head out of his arse toward the end of last season...make sure you don't omit stuff lol

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:30 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
When Patty Roy calls you the greatest goalie prospect in the world 2 years ago you kind of get a big ego.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
When Patty Roy calls you the greatest goalie prospect in the world 2 years ago you kind of get a big ego.
This is true but with everything else in life, you need to EARN it

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
This is true but with everything else in life, you need to EARN it
Easier said than done when for most of your life your god given talent gives you everything on a silver platter.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Gann writes a fine story.

Pretty straightforward stuff. I like that they are trying to mold prospects to the system even when they are playing with non-affiliated junior teams.

Dean does like to bring up Fukufuji a lot. Maybe he just enjoys saying Fukufuji... I know I do.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:52 PM
T2M

To be fair, I think if we're going to discuss Dean's treatment of Bernier we also have to include this part of the interview:

Quote:
Then it was time for a bit of tough love, but Bernier responded.

“[We told Bernier], ‘no more free rides,’” said Lombardi. “You’re a first round pick and that’s great, but you’ve got to get it done. To his credit, in the last month, it’s like the light bulb went off and he said, ‘OK, I’ve got to start looking at myself here and start competing.’”

‘I remember [Kings assistant general manager Ron] Hextall went down [to Manchester] and said, ‘wow…what a change,’” added Lombardi. “He’s working his tail off in practice, he almost got that team in the playoffs, he played really well down the stretch in some big games. Now we can say, ‘OK…now he’s starting to figure it out.’”

“With Quick here, [Bernier has] made progress down in the minors. Now they have to keep going and we’ll see where they are when they come in for development camp and then where we go from there.”
So it sounds like Bernier needed to mature and is responding. I think Dean is right though, once Bernier makes this a consistent part of his training, look out. Unfortunately, a long summer is a good time to get complacent. Training camp will say a lot.

T2M

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Muzzfan

Bumped for a part added today! This one is on being ahead of schedule according to DL.

Muzzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Part 3 is up:

http://frozenroyalty.net/2009/06/24/...ams/#more-2305

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:22 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Part 4

Since I didn't start this thread (thanks Muzzfan!), I figure I can post this...

New On HockeyTalk: Dean Lombardi On Anze Kopitar, Free Agency

This is part 4 of the series. Part 5 will be available after midnight on Friday, 6/25.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Since I didn't start this thread (thanks Muzzfan!), I figure I can post this...

New On HockeyTalk: Dean Lombardi On Anze Kopitar, Free Agency

This is part 4 of the series. Part 5 will be available after midnight on Friday, 6/25.
Good stuff. I like how he is calling out Kopitar now. He has the talent and the potential to be one of the elite players in the league. I hope he is taking this very seriously this off-season, because I want to see a #1 franchise center next season...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:09 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Good stuff. I like how he is calling out Kopitar now. He has the talent and the potential to be one of the elite players in the league. I hope he is taking this very seriously this off-season, because I want to see a #1 franchise center next season...

Agreeeeed.

Each part of this series just gets better and better Gann.

Though there are really no new ideas from Lombardi here, there just seem to be a bit more coherence than usual. I attribute that to Gann's writing and interviewing skills.

I particularly liked his elaboration on Kopitar's development vs. adding a winger for him.

In essence, I agree that Kopitar should up his game before getting a winger to feed off of (or feed to, more accurately). He does need to get stronger and when Lombardi says that Kopitar's improvement is perhaps the single most important thing to the franchise, I have to agree with him.

We all knew it when he first stepped on the ice. Kopitar is our future. Doughty now too, and Quick and Bernier as well. But Kopitar above all else immediately struck us all as OUR guy. We thought he'd be there now, but he stumbled for a year.

I could see Dean trading for a big goal scorer around December, more as a reward to Kopitar if he does do all the things Lombardi is asking of him. It's kind of funny to watch this little struggle play out in interviews between Lombardi and Kopitar and Brown. I don't sense any animosity, but Kopitar says "I want help on the left wing", then Dean says "Forget it, get better." Then Kopitar commits to staying here and working out over the summer and now Lombardi says "OK, you get your **** together, and then we'll get you that shiny new winger, because I admit you need it."

I am OK with that line of thinking. We want to compare to Chicago and Pittsburgh so much about their big acquisitions, but Toews and Kane already proved they could lead Chicago before they signed Campbell and Huet. Same thing in Pittsburgh, the young guys stepped up and then were surrounded with the FA's. If Dean has it is his mind that he will pull the trigger on something soon after he sees the commitment he expects from Kopitar, I'm all good with that. Because he is right, if Kopitar won't commit like he needs to in order to become a truly dominant center, then no Gaborik or Hossa or Havlat will give us the future we think we have.

That said, standing totally pat is also total horse****.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:17 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Scouting And Development Are Cornerstones To Dean Lombardi’s Efforts

Scouting And Development Are Cornerstones To Dean Lombardi’s Efforts

Final installment in the series. Hope you've all enjoyed the stories based on this interview and thanks for the kind words!

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:26 AM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Tremendous insight into the Kings and their draft/development process. The 5th installment has been my favorite but great interview all around!

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote