Ron Sutter, McGill, Lowry, and McLennan candidates for ass't coaching positions

Old
06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
sureloss

vCash: 50
Ron Sutter, McGill, Lowry, and McLennan candidates for ass't coaching positions

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=1717476

Quote:
If Brent gets the job, and multiple sources say he's the man, he could bring another brother, Ron, on as an assistant coach - he's been a pro scout for the Flames.

It's expected Ryan McGill and Dave Lowry will also be on his staff, along with goalie coach Jamie McLennan.

Last edited by Dogbert*: 06-20-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Title updated... not confirmed
sureloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Puckz

vCash: 500
As much as I would like to see Laviolette in Calgary, this sounds much likely and realistic. Don't hate it either, Lowry has experienced some success in his coaching career. Add another Sutter, heck we might have all the brothers once this thing is all said and done. McGill is another Alberta boy that could bring even more toughness to this coaching staff. The only one that worries me a little is hiring Noodles. The guy is an absolute class act from what I've heard, but I'm not sure if this is the guy to be mentoring Kiprusoff... wait and see I suppose, but all things said and done, I wouldn't be disappointed with this coaching staff.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Noori

God, McLennan? I hope not. Kipper needs to be pushed not pampered.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:09 PM
sureloss

Story has been updated slightly

Quote:
It's expected the Flames will announce their assistant coaching staff Monday as well, with former Quad City boss Ryan McGill, Calgary Hitmen boss Dave Lowry, the aforementioned Ron Sutter and goaltending coach Jamie McLennan very much in the mix. Nine-year video coach Rob Cookson, whose contract runs out July 1, was initially thought to be one of the casualties of the Keenan purge, but he could be retained, depending on Brent Sutter's say-so.

sureloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:11 PM
andy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureloss View Post
I was not too happy with the hiring of Brent Sutter and now if this is true about the assiants and goalie coach, the Flames are done. When they are out in the first round this time they fire Sutter, Daryll Sutter that.

andy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Grannys

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I was not too happy with the hiring of Brent Sutter and now if this is true about the assiants and goalie coach, the Flames are done. When they are out in the first round this time they fire Sutter, Daryll Sutter that.
Well thankfully most of us dont share your negativity here.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 10:15 PM
JorgeRocks!

May as well get the whole gang there...I though Mclennan was already Director of Goalie development or something, not sure if his role will change much, I doubt he will actually show up behind the bench, just be around and be a sounding board for the tendies. Who takes over as Playfair's assistant in QC then?

I guess we will see if our way, or Edmonton's method of having two name coaches, (Quinn as head, and Tom Renney as associate) work out better. I have a feeling our way will win out!

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Lunatik*

if Brent is the coach this staff does make sense... although I see Cookson staying as the Video Coach and Lowry spending time in the AHL...

to me this set up makes sense...

Head Coach: Brent Sutter
Special Teams Coach: Ron Sutter
Defense Coach: Ryan McGill
Goaltending Coach: Jamie McLennan

then in Abbotsford you will likely just see 2 or 3 coaches in Playfair as Head Coach and Lowry as his assistant

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Flames 1st pick

did any of these guys have success with special teams? that's what the Flames need

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:22 AM
DoubleJ96

Ron Sutter, really???

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratzi View Post
Ron Sutter, really???
why not? has he not been a scout for the Flames for a few years now?... all we need is Brian and Rich now

Old
06-21-2009, 11:34 AM
JorgeRocks!

I do not think Lowry would go to Abbotsford to be an assistant coach in the A, probably just stay on as the head guy of the hitmen...Think a guy like Warrener perhaps would go down to Abbotsford, or who knows even Vegas as an assistant coach?

Old
06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
JorgeRocks!

Someone will need to take over in Vegas to, as there was no assistant, and our man down there has jumped to become the head coach of dallas's new AHL team. Who do ya think would go, or who is possible?

Old
06-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
I do not think Lowry would go to Abbotsford to be an assistant coach in the A, probably just stay on as the head guy of the hitmen...Think a guy like Warrener perhaps would go down to Abbotsford, or who knows even Vegas as an assistant coach?
Warrener has a standing offer to be an assistant for the Hitmen IIRC, doesn't mean he couldn't go to Abbotsford or even Vegas in some capacity, but he'll stay close to the organization regardless.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:56 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Warrener has a standing offer to be an assistant for the Hitmen IIRC, doesn't mean he couldn't go to Abbotsford or even Vegas in some capacity, but he'll stay close to the organization regardless.
Never heard that

Old
06-21-2009, 03:00 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
Someone will need to take over in Vegas to, as there was no assistant, and our man down there has jumped to become the head coach of dallas's new AHL team. Who do ya think would go, or who is possible?
Don't think the flames really have much say in Vegas. We just place players down there.

I like the assistants. Lowry has been successful in the dub. McGill did a good job down in Quad Cities and is a defensive style coach. Pretty excited and hopefully this all becomes official tomorrow.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
did any of these guys have success with special teams? that's what the Flames need
Lowry and Ron Sutter were both good penalty killers, Brent Sutter played in all situations

Old
06-21-2009, 06:32 PM
scoringmachine

I do not mind Brent Sutter as the Flames coach. But what would you think of the idea of Dave Tippet as assistant coach. Just a thought

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 07:00 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
But what would you think of the idea of Dave Tippet as assistant coach. Just a thought

Anyone would benefit from having a coach like Dave Tippett in their organization, which is why he'll have a job as a Head Coach somewhere in no time.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Lowry and Ron Sutter were both good penalty killers, Brent Sutter played in all situations
I meant as a coach...do they know how to coach a PP? that's definitely a need.

Sometime good players dont make good coach....see Gretzky.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
cross16

Lowry can coach a PP. The Hitmen's PP was unstoppable at times and fully utalizes the new ideas of a PP and new rules to their advantage. Find open ice, make quick, crisp clean passes to get shots off. But still get dirty around the net too.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote