HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren Q 'n A with Wayne Fish/PhillyBurbs.com

Old
06-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
The Cup teams' players were out in SJ before there were cell phone cameras and digital cameras, before the Internet and Blogs, Boards and Twitter information... before there was an Old City nightlife and the need to gossip and spread to all who'll listen how the boys like to party. The news of their appearances at the local haunts were sidelights in the Evening Bulletin, Daily News and Inquire... the proof was in the personal witnessing as we ourselves hit the local bars and clubs to relieve our own hard day's stress... No one knew much, and no one cared much... There were players in the NHL with problems, some couldn't make it due to booze and/or drugs... many survived as we did at work.

Now-a-days a player burps at the Continental and a cell phone records it for the Internet and there is a Twitter line report... A player takes a joke photograph with a bottle of booze -- with the cap clearly in place -- and it is all over the hockey-world blogs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same... The players haven't changed but the technology surrounding those players lives have.
That is the truth. I do not know how many beers we drank together at Rexy's back in the day. Believe me when I tell you, they played as hard as they worked.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 08:58 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisinpa View Post
Good interview. Good to see Holmgren address the inconsistencies in Lupuls game, hopefully Lupul works on his discipline, gets stronger in the off season and comes out the 40 goal scorer Holmgren thinks he can be (alot like Carter last off season)
no, let's hope we trade him

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Terence Peterman

This interview was pretty interesting. I feel like it's got Holmgren knowing what's wrong but not really seeing those things as legitimate concerns written all over it.

I don't have any aspirations at all about next season. The entire organization right now-- team members, coaching staff, and front office-- completely lacks the ability to make and execute decisions that need to be made, and I think it's painfully obvious in every area.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I agree. We saw that this year. If Hartnell's glove toss contributes to a Flyers loss, he's the villain. But they won, so it was hilarious.
I dunno. Hartnell, win or lose, makes me laugh. He fits the number one thing I look for when watching games, in that he entertains me.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:26 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
It's good Homer addresses these topics. However, I won't believe change has come till I see better results.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:35 PM
turkinaa

This was the part I liked the most:

Quote:
We can't win 82 games but, each loss, you can't just say it's one game. It's unacceptable.
The Flyers played last season as if nothing mattered if they lost and almost didn't make the playoffs with how they played at the end of the season. I know you can't let slumps get to you, but you also can't keep doing what you're doing and except different results.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
There's more than one way to skin a cat
I think that's going to become one of my new favorite phrases.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:25 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
This was the part I liked the most:

The Flyers played last season as if nothing mattered if they lost and almost didn't make the playoffs with how they played at the end of the season. I know you can't let slumps get to you, but you also can't keep doing what you're doing and except different results.
That was Richards mantra after every loss. It was starting to bother me, especially at the end. I don't ever want to loose, and if we do it better be because you were working your ass off but you just didnt get the breaks. I'm glad he has addressed this.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It is interesting that most of the stuff I've mentioned as being a problem (possible overindulgence in nightlife, poor conditioning, poor discipline) has been mentioned, so I guess that's good that the organization recognizes it.

Still though, starts at the top...

EDIT: Also interesting that Holmgren seems to be agreeing with the stuff I've been saying about Lupul and also seems to think Lupul will be here next year.

Could just be playing his cards close to the chest though.
I hope it's a trick to get some stupid team to trade for him.

If Randy Jones is still here next year, I will consider Holmgrem and Stevens a failure and hope that they both get replaced.

I am completely against Randy Jones and Stevens system, but I do emphasize for Homer. It's a tough job managing a team and making all the right calls. Moves that look good today might look terrible in 5 months time. Signings that look good today might look terrible in 1 or 2 years time. I get the Upshall trade. It was a way to bring in a 3rd line guy, who would be cheap, and would be signed THIS year, who could cut costs on the cap AND actually win fights. It also clears Cote. I personally love Asham and Carcillo as bruisers. I'd let Cote skate only if the other team had a REAL heavyweight, and it seems many teams are moving away from that. Plus, I like having mostly rookies on the 4th line, since you get guys like Darrell Powe who come in real cheap, and surprise. Powe is a solid 3rd liner, and I'm very happy with the kid.

I don't think Stevens is a bad guy either, I just think the way he has us play the game is flawed. However, part of that could be our weak defense beyond Timonen. I mean, Coburn and Timonen is a wicked pairing, but Carle is 1 dimensional and Parent is too young to be relied on. Alberts and Jones probably don't even crack other teams top 6 or even top 7's.

The problem with people complaining about the cap, is that if we had cap space, people would be complaining that we need to use it. I wish we could go the rent a player route though, rather then signing every decent player to crazy deals. At least then, we free up space at the end of the season.

I like Lupul and all, but I'd rather Giroux take his spot in the top 6, and have Lupul traded for a defensive center for the third line who can win faceoffs. (A team starved for scoring, might even trade us a defensive center) I would flat out WAIVE Randy Jones. With Carle and Coburn here, Randy Jones is downright redundant. Carle maybe more expensive, but I believe Carle is much better at playing the puck, and therefore is less of a liability. Also, as lame as it is, Carle is younger, so I am willing to give him another chance, in hopes he improves his game. Also, Carle played well in the playoffs, so I give him props for that.

As far as Alberts goes, I might be willing to throw him a small deal as long as he doesnt get a raise. He can hit. I'd even tell him that he is here to hit, and ask him to step it up a bit. Alberts would probably look better if he was with a guy like Parent. I don't mind having 2 defensive defensemen together, especially if they are on the ice with the 3rd or 4th line. Especially since Alberts would be here to hit, so I'd want someone to cover him when he inevitably moves out of position. The problem obviously becomes handling the puck in this situation.

Not a perfect squad, but the Pens traded for Hall Gill, and IMHO they used him VERY effectively. I hated seeing him on the ice against us.

Any team have any 7 foot tall d-men available? Haha.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Lab Monkey

Irish I agree with you that both Lupul and Jones have to go. I don't care how they remove Jones be it waiving or trading, removing that useless sack of turds will make this team better. Lupul in my mind has already been replaced by Giroux and thus has no spot on this team anymore at his price tag. I am sure there are a bunch of teams out there interested in picking up Lupul as he does have the talent to make a big impact. We have enough impact players on the squad though, now the team needs to focus on defence and for the love of god a FRANCHISE GOALIE [yes I realize realistically this part doesn't just fall out of trees]

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:09 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He specifically mentioned showing up late for practice...who's been doing that?
Since when does AI play hockey?

Practice? We're talking about practice?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Since when does AI play hockey?

It's not even a game. We are talking about PRACTICE!

Old
06-22-2009, 10:17 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
not the game that i go out there and die for

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:39 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
not the game that i go out there and die for
No, we talkin bout practice. Practice!

Old
06-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
No, we talkin bout practice. Practice!
... Not a game, not a game... PRACTICE!

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
UseYourAllusion

what are we talking about?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Playoffs?!??!

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
what are we talking about?
Practice, we are talking about practice!

EDIT: This page of comments from top to bottom is hilarious. Try scrolling thru all of it.

Old
06-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I think that's going to become one of my new favorite phrases.
That was my favorite line. I've heard it before, but it's hilarious that Homer would use it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
That was my favorite line. I've heard it before, but it's hilarious that Homer would use it.
Cat references are always fitting

'You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a J-Bo rumor'

'He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs'

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Cat references are always fitting

'You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a J-Bo rumor'

'He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs'
He is the cat's pajamas.

Old
06-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Jaymin

Send a message via Yahoo to Jaymin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
This interview was pretty interesting. I feel like it's got Holmgren knowing what's wrong but not really seeing those things as legitimate concerns written all over it.

I don't have any aspirations at all about next season. The entire organization right now-- team members, coaching staff, and front office-- completely lacks the ability to make and execute decisions that need to be made, and I think it's painfully obvious in every area.
I'm curious as to what you think needs to be done with the cap space that we have now and with the players we will need to sign in the future. I will be completely suprised, unless Holmer can pull off trades that get rid of Briere, Lupul, and Jones, that we pick of JBo.

Quite frankly, unless we get rid of Briere, Luple, and either Jones or Carle then I don't want us picking up any big named players at all unless they are willing to come here cheaper then they would other places. The cap as it is and as it is projected to look over the next year or so makes signing anyone to a big contract, other then our own guys, a big impossibility. The only things we can do right now is try to fill in holes with serviceable veterns and hope that our young core grows more this year.

I am not a fan of John Stevens but I hope that John Stevens and the other coaches grow up the most this off season. They NEED to have a coherient plan and system for this time to follow and we need to see it. A system that features better forchecking, much better back checking, and does not have us bottled up in our own zone 90% of the damn time(yes that is an exaduation).

I read a report where Holmer wants us to be more agressive, I can agree with that but our forwards need to backcheck and at least two forwards need to be available to help the defencemen get the puck out of the zone on a regular basis. No more of this throw the hail mary pass and hope it connects offense. It does not work in football at any level, why in the hell would it work in Hockey with any regularity anyway.

Heres to hopeing that the team does what it needs to do, the players do what they need to do, the coaches do what they need to do, and we have a great season next year.

Jaymin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He specifically mentioned showing up late for practice...who's been doing that?

Emery

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
In all fairness CG, Stevens never found it funny or made any jokes about it.

No, but he started Hartnell in overtime. He couldn't have found it that bad.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote