HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Soo...where do I play next next year?

Old
06-22-2009, 12:33 AM
eric71*

vCash: 500
Soo...where do I play next next year?

The double next wasnt a typo. I cant play hockey in this upcoming season due to school conflicts as well as legal and political reasons. This would be my last year in Midget. Where do people play after theyre done Midget? I used to play in the GTHL (AA) and some SHA (Small [and terribly ran] "A" League). Do I play pick-up some where? I dont even know my options :S :S :S

P.S This is Ice Hockey, and if you need to know Im a decent "AA" player. Defencemen.

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Heaters not lazt*

I suggest playing at the highest possible level.

And keep skating for the season you can't play.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
The double next wasnt a typo. I cant play hockey in this upcoming season due to school conflicts as well as legal and political reasons. This would be my last year in Midget. Where do people play after theyre done Midget? I used to play in the GTHL (AA) and some SHA (Small [and terribly ran] "A" League). Do I play pick-up some where? I dont even know my options :S :S :S

P.S This is Ice Hockey, and if you need to know Im a decent "AA" player. Defencemen.
Ohhh the SHA! The different clubs from the SHA have actually merged to become the SYHL

Their site is pretty broken right now, but you should be able to find a little information.

After midget comes juvenile. I played juvenile house league hockey last year and it wasn't all that great... we had four teams with eight skaters and a goalie aside... so we played 4 on 4. The officiating was absolutely horrendous though. Of course they're folding into that massive league now, and I don't think they're offering any juvenile hockey this year (I qualify for 1 more season).

My plan is to go play in the ASHL. If you're a decent AA player you should be able to fit in at C level. If you want something cheaper, I think that HockeyToronto runs a league in the west end... but it's pretty hit or miss. I've been playing pick up w/ them in the summer.

I took 2yrs off of league hockey when I started university b/c of some medical problems... I just played with some friends and his family once a week until I was physically well enough to get back to 3-4 days a week of hockey. The game really changes once you graduate from minor hockey...

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Pog Form

I play C at ASHL York. From everything I hear, it's by far the worst C division in any of the ASHL leagues in the GTA. I fit right in!

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:42 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
I play C at ASHL York. From everything I hear, it's by far the worst C division in any of the ASHL leagues in the GTA. I fit right in!
I know some people that play C level, and some people that play D level at Ice Sports Scarborough... it's really hit or miss. I've seen some guys in D level that could mop the floor with any of the C level guys I know, and then I've seen players in C level that look like absolute beginners.

Quote:
Division A: Very skilled adult hockey player, have played a serious competitive hockey level hockey in the past, from collegiate, university, semi pro or pro hockey.

Division B: Skilled hockey player, played at a reasonably competitive level of hockey in the past.

Division C: A good hockey player, plays the game for fun and enjoyment, probably has not played previously at a higher level of hockey.

Division D: Has played organized, competitive hockey previously but not at a significant level. Enjoys the game and understands the rules of playing hockey in a team setting.
From what I've seen, a lot of the C level guys range from former house league players to AAA players... B and A are more for more ex-Junior A, OHL, and college/university players.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Pog Form

Yeah, C level is especially hit or miss. The skill level has been different every season I've played (at multiple different ASHL rinks in the GTA). It must be tough to convene a level like that, though, where there is such potential for disparity.

In my C dividion, for example, there are nine teams. Eight of the teams have a winning percentage between .429 (3-4-0) and .563 (5-3-1), my team included. The other team is at .944 with an 8-0-1 record. In all honesty, they are too good for our division, but C is the highest level available that night, so there's nowhere for them to go without switching nights (or rinks).

Long story short: any ringers out there looking for a Monday night skate?

Last edited by Pog Form: 06-22-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typos and such
Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote