HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hudler and Samuelsson

Old
06-19-2009, 08:09 PM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Hudler and Samuelsson

Detroit will not be able to sign Hudler and Samuelsson if they re-sign Hossa. So what if we made a pitch for Hudler and looked to sign Sam as a UFA. It would round out our top 6 forwards, give us more scoring and winning experience probably for the same price that it would cost to retain Sullivan, Ward, Zanon and Fiddler.

Trade draft picks and/or prospect because they can't afford salary back...we have 12 picks this year for Hudler. one 2nd and a 3rd for a sure fire player who is only 25 years old vs two kids that might never play in the league.

Hudler...4M for 6 years....skilled forward and young, cup winner
Samuelsson...2M for 4 years......scoring forward, speed comparable to Arnott/Dumont

then add Kurtis Foster...1.5 for 3 years....big and lanky d, with a bomb like Weber...right shot

and Ward for 1M if possible for the third line....plays everywhere

Cap hit of 8.5M

Dumont4-Arnott4.5-Samuelsson2....10.5
Erat4.5-Legwand4.5-Hudler4...........13
Jones7k-Wilson9k-Ward1................2.6
Tootoo9k-Smithson7k-Hornqvist6k...2.2
Belak5.5k.......................................0. 55

Weber4.5-Suter3.5.......................8
Hamhuis2-Foster1.5......................3.5
Klein.65k-Sulzer.65k....................1.3

Ellis1.75
Rinne7k.....................................2.45

..................................total........44. 1M

and your team is complete below the "Preds Hard Cap" at the mid point. You could even give Ward an extra 500k to keep him around

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 07:58 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

The solution to the Hudler/Samuelsson problem for Detroit is to let Hossa walk. And besides, if the Dustin Penner situation taught me anything, it's that big, fat contracts like the one you want to give Hudler are a BIG mistake.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
echlfreak

Hudler has been in the league longer than Penner before he got his money in this deal. Penner was after a year or two.

Hulder is better than Erat and would make less

Old
06-20-2009, 11:37 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I'm a really big Hudler fan, would love to see him play for the Predators, if only we could get it done.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:27 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Hudler has been in the league longer than Penner before he got his money in this deal. Penner was after a year or two.

Hulder is better than Erat and would make less

Hudler might be a smidge better than Erat offensively but Erat is the superior all around player. Hudler isn't worth 4 mil.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I tend to agree. Erat is a far better player overall than Hudler, but there is no question that goal-scoring wise, Hudler knows what to do. Erat goes through periods of time where he is too selfish or too timid with his shot far too often at this point. He is still a quality top 6 winger, but he isn't the top line winger that we saw for stretches before his extension was signed. Lets hope last year's inconsistency was largely due to the inconsistency of his fellow linemates and the constant flux there. I suspect he will be better than last year going forward, but he will never reach the potential that his talent level allows.

06-20-2009, 09:34 PM
echlfreak

Well the two of them might be even better if they play together and this would in turn help Legwand too. Then Erat with his great all-round skills could help make up for Hudler's lack of.

Either way this team needs goals And Hudler and Samuelsson can do that. It is better than relying on Jones, Hornqvist, Ward, Santorelli, Tootoo, O'Reilly, Wilson...etc. They are proven and have the rings to show it.

And most importantly it would fit in our cap

Any better solutions???

Old
06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Well the two of them might be even better if they play together and this would in turn help Legwand too. Then Erat with his great all-round skills could help make up for Hudler's lack of.

Either way this team needs goals And Hudler and Samuelsson can do that. It is better than relying on Jones, Hornqvist, Ward, Santorelli, Tootoo, O'Reilly, Wilson...etc. They are proven and have the rings to show it.

And most importantly it would fit in our cap

Any better solutions???
No, No, I like both guys. I just think you overrate Hudler. I wouldn't sign him for 4 mil. Samuelson is defiantly a guy I think we should look at. He would be a very good offensive depth guy for us. If Ward was to leave he could easily replace him. I like Hudler too but there is no way we should be paying 3 good but not great players 4 million or more.

Also signing Hudler at 4 million for 6 years would be pure craziness!!! Giving Samuelson a 4 year contract would not be very smart either. Sure the money would work out this season but how about after the season when Pekka and hammer's contracts are up.Then you always have to look down the line when guys like Wilson, Weber, Suter, Blum, etc. will need new contracts. At that point a contract like Hudler's would be an albatross

Last edited by predfan24: 06-20-2009 at 10:49 PM.
predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

These guys wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd take them i suppose.

Everyone says we need snipers. Well, I kind of disagree. I think we need more creative play makers. We need a guy who will make our other guys better. Someone who can create space. Remember how good Legwand and Erat were with Kariya? Now, where can we find another Kariya... ;x

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 12:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'm all for hoping for these guys, but from the sounds of it, where we don't want to pay Ward 1.5 million and we're licking our chops at the idea of the salary cap(and thus floor) going down in a season or two, my expectations and hopes aren't that high. I expect to see us at the bare minimum this year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i'm all for hoping for these guys, but from the sounds of it, where we don't want to pay Ward 1.5 million and we're licking our chops at the idea of the salary cap(and thus floor) going down in a season or two, my expectations and hopes aren't that high. I expect to see us at the bare minimum this year.
This.

I'm still scratching my head as to how Poile finds a way to get us to the floor.

Jarnberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Personally I find Hudler overated, he is a player that would be in Trotz's doghouse constantly like he is always in Babcocks. Yes he can score better than several of our guys and would be an upgrade if we dont resign anyone, but there are much much better options out there for more responsible players.
Samuelsson is somebody I would target if we can't resign Joel Ward. Hes a good two way player but really not even that much of an upgrade over a Ward who could be had for cheaper.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:22 PM
dulzhok

Wasn't there speculation that we'd have to spends 48 million to get revenue sharing?

Regarding Samulesson, I think it'd be settling for mediocrity (or worse). He's just not that good. He had 11 goals 2 years ago. 19 this year, but had the benefit of playing with some of the most talented players in the league. He'd see a huge talent disparity coming on the Preds.

Hudler, I agree, wouldn't be a good fit here (or many places). He's playing in one of the best systems in the league, and is in the doghouse. I'd expect the same here. While he has some ability to put the puck in the net, I don't see him being a consistent offensive threat in the NHL.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 05:52 PM
AltDess

Hudler is not worth 4m a year, 2.5m is more like it.

AltDess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Wasn't there speculation that we'd have to spends 48 million to get revenue sharing?

Regarding Samulesson, I think it'd be settling for mediocrity (or worse). He's just not that good. He had 11 goals 2 years ago. 19 this year, but had the benefit of playing with some of the most talented players in the league. He'd see a huge talent disparity coming on the Preds.

Hudler, I agree, wouldn't be a good fit here (or many places). He's playing in one of the best systems in the league, and is in the doghouse. I'd expect the same here. While he has some ability to put the puck in the net, I don't see him being a consistent offensive threat in the NHL.
never heard anything like that with the revenue sharing, but I agree with your assessment on Hudler/Samuelsson

Old
06-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Hail Stannis

Hey guys, Pittsburgh native and Predators fan here. I understand the proposal you are trying to pitch for Hudler and Samuelsson but I fear it's not in the best interest of your team. I feel both of those players' outputs are greatly magnified by being in Detroit and you're going to be disappointed if they come play for the Preds. They work because of Detroits system, not because they are superior players. That's just my opinion.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Detroit will not be able to sign Hudler and Samuelsson if they re-sign Hossa. So what if we made a pitch for Hudler and looked to sign Sam as a UFA. It would round out our top 6 forwards, give us more scoring and winning experience probably for the same price that it would cost to retain Sullivan, Ward, Zanon and Fiddler.

Trade draft picks and/or prospect because they can't afford salary back...we have 12 picks this year for Hudler. one 2nd and a 3rd for a sure fire player who is only 25 years old vs two kids that might never play in the league.

Samuelsson...2M for 4 years......scoring forward, speed comparable to Arnott/Dumont

then add Kurtis Foster...1.5 for 3 years....big and lanky d, with a bomb like Weber...right shot

and Ward for 1M if possible for the third line....plays everywhere

Cap hit of 8.5M

Dumont4-Arnott4.5-Samuelsson2....10.5
Erat4.5-Legwand4.5-Hudler4...........13
Jones7k-Wilson9k-Ward1................2.6
Tootoo9k-Smithson7k-Hornqvist6k...2.2
Belak5.5k.......................................0. 55

Weber4.5-Suter3.5.......................8
Hamhuis2-Foster1.5......................3.5
Klein.65k-Sulzer.65k....................1.3

Ellis1.75
Rinne7k.....................................2.45

..................................total........44. 1M

and your team is complete below the "Preds Hard Cap" at the mid point. You could even give Ward an extra 500k to keep him around
Hudler and Foster would remove 2 thorns from our side. Seems as if those guys always have big games vs us. Just too much money and length of contract on all these.

I think our free agency signing period will end on June 30th.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:04 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
never heard anything like that with the revenue sharing, but I agree with your assessment on Hudler/Samuelsson
Can't remember where I saw it, but believe it is true. To qualify for full revenue sharing, you have spend at the at the cap midpoint, which is set at 48.7 million (I think).

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Can't remember where I saw it, but believe it is true. To qualify for full revenue sharing, you have spend at the at the cap midpoint, which is set at 48.7 million (I think).
hmm now that you mention it, something like that does sound familiar...

Old
06-22-2009, 12:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I believe $48.7M is the MOST a team can spend to qualify for full revenue sharing, because we qualified and did spent less than $47M.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

wfom is right. the salary midpoint is the maximum allowed to qualify, not the minimum.

http://ykoil.blogspot.com/2009/06/nh...alary-cap.html

Old
06-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

If I'm reading this right, that's Hudler at 4 million a season.

If I'm reading this right(http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm), that means that as compensation Nashville would send Detroit a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Hudler isn't worth that.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I don't want either of them.

I don't know what it is about Hudler, but I just can't stand him. I don't know why.

And I would rather pay Ward what he wants than pay for Samuelsson.

I don't see either of them fitting in on this team.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:44 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post

If I'm reading this right(http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm), that means that as compensation Nashville would send Detroit a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Hudler isn't worth that.
That makes this whole proposal even worse. There is no way in hell the Preds would ever send a 1st, 2nd, 3rd to Detroit(!) for Hudler.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post

Hudler isn't worth that.
I believe the OP is suggesting that we trade for Hudler