HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Scenario

Old
06-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Draft Scenario

Lets say Kadri, Schroeder & Josefson are still there when we draft @ 11, do we put our draft pick on the block to get more picks in next year's draft & trade down ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Soundgarden

It might depend on if we get an actual nhl player in addition to a pick next year, and if we sign Sully, Ward, etc. I think that we just stay at eleven, or trade up to get Schroeder, but that's just my two cents.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
It might depend on if we get an actual nhl player in addition to a pick next year, and if we sign Sully, Ward, etc. I think that we just stay at eleven, or trade up to get Schroeder, but that's just my two cents.
I believe he, Kadri & Josefson will all be there at 11

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Glennie at 11 or one of the above 3 would all be nice.

06-20-2009, 03:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Lets say Kadri, Schroeder & Josefson are still there when we draft @ 11, do we put our draft pick on the block to get more picks in next year's draft & trade down ?
I don't think we will. This is the draft that Poile has been talking about for a couple of years now as being exceptionally deep, and I think he wants to use this first round pick. He may flip a few lower picks to trade up, or trade for tangible assets, but he'll want to keep this first round pick or possibly move up.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 02:35 PM
dulzhok

Unless he's confident "his guy" is going to be available later, I'd be pissed if he trades down for more picks.

If we have any chance of being a good team in the future, we have to draft some real offensive talent. We are constantly preached this message of "building through the draft." While that has somewhat worked out on D, we've yet to draft anyone to score 30 goals, and only have one prospect with any hope of it (Wilson). Even with Wilson, he's not a sure thing.

I don't claim to know who we should draft. But it looks like there is some real offensive talent that may be available. I hope Poile, Fenton, and crew have done their homework.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
we've yet to draft anyone to score 30 goals.
Hartnell.

Old
06-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Webersmashpuck

Poile will play the values. If a team is willing to give up something outraguous for our first I can see us taking it, but if not many want to move up and values are cheap I can see Poile moving up.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
braindead

Well, I would be happy to trade down into the mid to late teens and add a 2nd if there are 5-6 forwards left that I think are similarly good bets. I assume though that Poile and staff actually know what they are doing and have (rightly or wrongly) a favored order among them. I think you can't go wrong with Schroeder, Glennie, Josefson (my least favorite), Ashton, Kadri or Kreider (my personal favorite).

The good news is that this seems to be a 45 or so deep draft to me, which means our two second rounders are big opportunities. We need to capitalize on both of them and on our 3rd rounders- this is a huge, huge draft for us.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I think you can't go wrong with Schroeder, Glennie, Josefson (my least favorite), Ashton, Kadri or Kreider (my personal favorite).
I haven't done any "scouting" on those prospects, but I can guarantee that atleast one of the guys will go wrong (and likely more). It just never turns out that good.

Regarding getting an extra 2nd round pick... Of the 11th drafts we've had, only 2 drafts have resulted in a getting an NHL player in the 2nd round: 2003- Weber, 1998- Hall. If Poile trades down for picks, he better be damn confident in the players he picks up.

RE: Hartnell
I didn't realize he hit 30 this year. Thankfully for him, he's playing with some of the top offensive players in the league, which is where he's at his best (as a complementary player). I will have to update my statement: We've never drafted anyone who has scored more than 30 goals.

Old
06-22-2009, 07:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If scoring more than 30 goals in a season is the only thing that makes you a great offensive player, where does that leave Forsberg? Also, Kevin Klein was drafted in the 2nd round too and to a lesser extent Andrew Hutchinson is up and down in the NHL. So 4 out of 11 and one being a superstar.

Anyway.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:07 AM
lugnut76

As long as we don't walk away with Kassian I'll be happy. I've noticed a few mock drafts that have the Preds selecting him, but I certainly hope they are wrong.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
braindead

Quote:
I haven't done any "scouting" on those prospects, but I can guarantee that atleast one of the guys will go wrong (and likely more). It just never turns out that good.
Yeah, I guess my wording was wrong. It's not that one of them won't turn out bad or that one won't be substantially better than the others in the end, I just don't see anything that can lead you to that prediction now. They seem like even bets at this point to me- hopefully the staff has an opinion and hopefully it is a correct opinion. If they don't, I'd rather have an extra pick along with one of them.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I got one of those mock draft spreadsheets from Beerfish (they're free to download- check the Draft forum). It's a pretty nifty tool. Here's what our draft class looked like when I went straight down the rankings:

11 - Jacob Josefson, C
41 - Mike Lee, G
42 - Chris Brown, C
70 - Anton Lander, F
72 - Collin Bowman, D
98 - Sergei Drozd, LW
102 - Anton Mylläri, D
110 - Ben Hanowski, LW
131 - Ryan Walters, C
147 - Justin Shugg, RW
191 - Joe Campanelli, RW
201 - Mike Cichy, C

I would be satisfied with that. I don't really care for the Drozd pick, though.

Old
06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I got one of those mock draft spreadsheets from Beerfish (they're free to download- check the Draft forum). It's a pretty nifty tool. Here's what our draft class looked like when I went straight down the rankings:

11 - Jacob Josefson, C
41 - Mike Lee, G
42 - Chris Brown, C
70 - Anton Lander, F
72 - Collin Bowman, D
98 - Sergei Drozd, LW
102 - Anton Mylläri, D
110 - Ben Hanowski, LW
131 - Ryan Walters, C
147 - Justin Shugg, RW
191 - Joe Campanelli, RW
201 - Mike Cichy, C

I would be satisfied with that. I don't really care for the Drozd pick, though.
I don't think we'd pick a Goalie that early, and I think we'll pick a few more D-men, but if those are the BPA I guess I wouldn't really mind.

Old
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
If scoring more than 30 goals in a season is the only thing that makes you a great offensive player, where does that leave Forsberg? Also, Kevin Klein was drafted in the 2nd round too and to a lesser extent Andrew Hutchinson is up and down in the NHL. So 4 out of 11 and one being a superstar.
If one of our draftees had the the vision of Forsberg, I may reconsider my statement that we've haven't drafted a 1st line player.

Klien was drafted same year as Weber. No, I didn't count Hutchison for obvious reasons. We've drafted full time NHLers in 2 of 11 years in the 2nd round. Just saying, it's not like 2nd round picks are gold or anything. Maybe a 1 in 10 chance they are gold (Weber). Probably more like 1 in 15-30.

Old
06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Jarnberg

I think we will draft Scott Glennie imo.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Yeah, I guess my wording was wrong. It's not that one of them won't turn out bad or that one won't be substantially better than the others in the end, I just don't see anything that can lead you to that prediction now. They seem like even bets at this point to me- hopefully the staff has an opinion and hopefully it is a correct opinion. If they don't, I'd rather have an extra pick along with one of them.
Since we are spending millions of dollars for their opinions, I'd hope that they have an opinion on the matter.

Getting a 2nd rd pick is of little consolation to me (see above). If we trade down, the only reason should be because Poile is 100% confident that the best offensive player will still be available.

Old
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I don't think we'd pick a Goalie that early, and I think we'll pick a few more D-men, but if those are the BPA I guess I wouldn't really mind.
I tend to agree, but I like what Lee did with Fargo this year. He's got a pretty impressive resume for an 18-year-old.

Old
06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think we will draft Scott Glennie imo.
if we don't trade up, i'd be more than happy with that.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Since we are spending millions of dollars for their opinions, I'd hope that they have an opinion on the matter.

Getting a 2nd rd pick is of little consolation to me (see above). If we trade down, the only reason should be because Poile is 100% confident that the best offensive player will still be available.
Well, maybe we're due.

this team has to build through the draft, picks are our foundations.'

BTW, 4 of those 11 drafts we didn't own a 2nd round pick. So now, we're at 2 of 7.

Old
06-22-2009, 07:42 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Well, maybe we're due.

this team has to build through the draft, picks are our foundations.'

BTW, 4 of those 11 drafts we didn't own a 2nd round pick. So now, we're at 2 of 7.
And some of those drafts we've had FIVE second rounds picks. So it all evens out.

A good GM builds through all avenues (draft, trades, FA).

Old
06-23-2009, 07:41 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

lol, and some of those haven't had a chance to make it yet. I know Spaling is one with a lot of promise along with Geoffrion and Josi.

And Poile turned 2 of those 2nd round picks into Steve Sullivan.