HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund: "Flyers working a deal with Kings"

Old
06-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think our even strength problems need to be aided from the coaching, rather than from any one player. I would also note that outside of size, Timonen and Bouwmeester have pretty similar games.

I actually think there is something to say for Phaneuf being a better acquisition for the Flyers, as he would complement someone like Timonen a bit better than Bouwmeester would (in being something "different"). Additionally, this Flyers D desperately needs some physicality added to it, and Phaneuf brings a LOT more of that than Bouwmeester.

Phaneuf would also come at a guaranteed 6.5M, as opposed to the unknown number for Bouwmeester.

I don't really have any interest in giving up Hartnell...however, a physical D does something a forward can't really do, he makes forwards on the rush keep their head up.
I'd give up Hartnell for one of those two, otherwise I'd rather keep him. He's a very good player for his role, but I think you'd have to give up your 2LW and a draft pick for a 1D any day of the week.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 08:48 PM
mercury

Quote:
I think our even strength problems need to be aided from the coaching, rather than from any one player. I would also note that outside of size, Timonen and Bouwmeester have pretty similar games.

I actually think there is something to say for Phaneuf being a better acquisition for the Flyers, as he would complement someone like Timonen a bit better than Bouwmeester would (in being something "different"). Additionally, this Flyers D desperately needs some physicality added to it, and Phaneuf brings a LOT more of that than Bouwmeester.

Phaneuf would also come at a guaranteed 6.5M, as opposed to the unknown number for Bouwmeester.

I don't really have any interest in giving up Hartnell...however, a physical D does something a forward can't really do, he makes forwards on the rush keep their head up.

I don't think that J-Bo gets much more than $6.5 million, and I think I'd rather have him. He is definitely better defensively than Phaneuf, and it's not completely necessary to have him paired with Timonen. Timonen and Parent or Coburn would be fine with Bouwmeester paired with the other of the younger guys. One of Carle or Jones would have to go, and we'd have to sign a cheap veteran 7th. I'd rather have two very good pairings and decent third than one excellent and two question marks. We don't want to run Timonen ragged.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
From another forum:

Sort of makes sense. Rumor is Kings like Hartnell a lot. I'd HATE to see him go.
God, I would LOVE to have Phaneuf on this team!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
ELab2

Quote:

That's a tough call. Obviously Phaneuf has some attributes that we could REALLY use on our blueline but he's not average defensively (at best) at this point and I don't find that anywhere close to acceptable at 6.5mil. If we get Bouwmeester we'll miss out on that physical presence but his defense is exceptional.

I'd probably rather have Komisarek at 5 than Phaneuf at 6.5 at this point, at least until Phaneuf proves he can play D

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'd have no problems with Phaneuf coming here. I think he was being asked to do too much in Calgary and that once he got here, his role would be clearly defined - add some much needed snarl and meanness to the blue line. To add to it, he brings another thing that this team can certainly use - his dislike of Sidney Crosby. I could see Phaneuf running him into the ground come playoff time and can do the same to Malkin.

The only thing is, to make that kind of move, more salary than just Hartnell would need to go. I know that this wouldn't be popular, but Gagne would be more ideal from this point simply because he makes a million bucks more than Hartnell does and with Nodl being added, it might come close to the salary that Phaneuf receives. Once again, that's just my $0.02 worth.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'd have no problems with Phaneuf coming here. I think he was being asked to do too much in Calgary and that once he got here, his role would be clearly defined - add some much needed snarl and meanness to the blue line. To add to it, he brings another thing that this team can certainly use - his dislike of Sidney Crosby. I could see Phaneuf running him into the ground come playoff time and can do the same to Malkin.

The only thing is, to make that kind of move, more salary than just Hartnell would need to go. I know that this wouldn't be popular, but Gagne would be more ideal from this point simply because he makes a million bucks more than Hartnell does and with Nodl being added, it might come close to the salary that Phaneuf receives. Once again, that's just my $0.02 worth.
Gagne is also much more redundant at this point IMO. If I had to choose between trading Hartnell and Gagne at this point it would be Gagne

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Someone should post the whole Phaneuf thing I posted in the Trade Rumors board. I can't. I'd like to see what other people have to say about it.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
BernieParent

Just catching up.
Quote:
I'm sure that was the thought process that prompted Homer to ink Lupul a year before he had to... It can benefit the team, but it can also hand over more money than is deserved. Had Homer waited, and Lupul had the same year he had, the extension surely would have come at a more Cap friendly and realistic cost.

With the Cap situation a bad one for the Flyers, and the uncertainty of the Cap numbers going forward, I'd rather wait and see what Coburn does in regards to regaining his upward arc and what the Cap numbers hold.
Cap uncertainty is an advantage that Holmgren could exploit. Propose something like 4 years @ ~$3 mil per, and see what the agent says. I'd be surprised if they agreed, but there's no harm keeping the communication line open.

Phaneuf, IMHO, is overrated and overpaid. For every bone-crushing hit he lays, he gets caught with his jockstrap around his ankles 3 times per game. And Phaneuf's offensive game went south this season. No thanks!

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I can't even imagine how small, soft and one-dimensional (as in streaky, non-physical) our forwards become if we trade Hartnell. Once again, clearing salary in the wrong place. I'm done with Homer if we lose Hartnell this off-season or at any point before his contract expires.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
I like both defenseman, but I would take Bouwmeester over Phaneuf.
he is younger, better and is exactly what this team needs.
dont get me wrong I would love to have Phaneuf as well, but not at the expense of losing Hartnell. losing Hartnell would make our group of forwards one of the softest groups in the league.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:40 AM
UseYourAllusion

Hartnell is the ****ing man. No to almost any situation that has him leaving.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I like both defenseman, but I would take Bouwmeester over Phaneuf.
he is younger, better and is exactly what this team needs.
dont get me wrong I would love to have Phaneuf as well, but not at the expense of losing Hartnell. losing Hartnell would make our group of forwards one of the softest groups in the league.
Bouwmeester is actually older than Phaneuf but he is definitely still better.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
Bouwmeester is actually older than Phaneuf but he is definitely still better.
oh right my bad.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Amateur Hour

Trading Hartnell just to clear cap space is ridiculous. He's hitting his peak as a power forward right now. If he develops into a consistent 60-70 point second-line winger, then his on-ice play and value to the team will exceed his cap figure. You find another way to make room under the cap.

My only real concern is that Lupul is Homer's guy (wasn't he a big fan of Lupul going into the 2002 draft?). I hope Homer's desire to see his faith in Lupul's talents justified -- even at an inflated cap figure -- doesn't override his responsibility and critical ability to be objective in assessing what's best for the team. That would really disappoint me, and I'd see him as unfit for the job of being this team's GM. That said, if Homer can find a way to keep Lupul and clear cap space another way, you know he'll do that. I wouldn't mind keeping Lupul, but he needs to come into this season in the best shape of his life and ready to work his ass off every shift if he wants to reach his full potential. He's being paid like a legitimate top-6 forward now. We know Lupul thrives on a line with Richards as his center, but I'm also confident Giroux can have that kind of effect on him. There are a lot of possible line combinations to play around with going into this season.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:00 AM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Well at least many here can agree on one thing--Hartnell stays, damnit. Trade someone else to make the room.

Geh this week is going to be infuriating. Friday and FA can't get here fast enough. Gotta say though, I'm still more in favor of Holmgren making a "moderate" move for guys like Beauchemin or Ohlund than blowing everything up to get Bouw at any cost.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote