Notices

Chistov = The Fish?

Old
06-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Chistov = The Fish?

I'm just finishing up Dave King's book, King of Russia. During the 2005-06 season, King coached Magnitogorsk Metallurg in the Russian Super League. Anyway, he ended up writing a book about the experience.
It's pretty interesting read. Metallurg was Malkin's team before he came over to North America and other players like Yushkevich, Korolev, Kaigorodov and Kulemin are also on the team, as is a familiar face, Stanislav Chistov.

Throughout the book, King refers to a troubled player on his roster as the Fish. The Fish was born in 1983, has played in the NHL before, is absurdly talented, but has trouble turning that talent into on-ice success (sound familiar?). Moreso, the Fish every now and then develops odd injuries (some of which King suspects are fake) and has a drinking/partying problem. His rights are still held by an NHL team who continues to enquire about bringing him back. As the playoffs begin (where I am in the book), King has already kicked the Fish off the team and the veteran players have convinced him to let him come back on the condition that he enters into rehab.

Anyway, as I already indicated in the title and as the description likely leads you to believe, I would suspect that the Fish is actually Chistov. As you may remember, Anaheim did entice him back to the NHL for the 2006-07 season, but soon shipped him to Boston. He spent last year playing for Metallurg again. I think this might shed a bit of light on the enigmatic Russian when he played for Anaheim.

I would really suggest the book, not just for the talk about Chistov (there's another great anecdote about when King was talking to Babcock about Chistov and Babcock's quote was "we don't think he wants to score as much as he just wants to make it look cute").

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Pepper

There were two -83 players in the team, Chistov and Kaigorodov. The description you gave actually fits both of them but the name "the fish" is closer to Chistov

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Except, at the time, Chistov was the only one with NHL experience. Kaigorodov did not come to North America until 2006-07.

Also of the 51 games that Metallurg played, Kaigorodov played in 50 of them. Chistov played in 47, which would be more of a fit for the injuries and discipline that he faced through the season.

Old
06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Chistov left me feeling pistoff.

Anyway, you could really see the potential in him but like it's said, never translated onto the ice.

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Tfighter

I've always had a soft spot for Chistov despite having a disappointing NHL career. The guy can fly and I always thought he was a for sure top six forward after his rookie year. Too bad to read about the "fake injuries" and the drinking/partying problems.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Ah I miss the debate going into the 06-07 season that claimed Chistov should be in the top-6 and Kunitz was barely a fourth line player. That one was fun.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 02:31 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I always forget that Chistov, Ian Moran, and Travis Green played on that 06-07 team for about one game.

I think Travis Green even scored a goal.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
I always forget that Chistov, Ian Moran, and Travis Green played on that 06-07 team for about one game.

I think Travis Green even scored a goal.
yea, it mightve even been in his first game in. i think he talked crap on the Ducks after they let him go.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Drikining problems too? Wow, didn't see that...

Back in 2003 he was my favourite player and I thought he could be an all-star. Damn if I was wrong

Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Apparently, I'm not the only one to make this assumption: http://coppernblue.blogspot.com/2008/04/caveat.html

Old
06-22-2009, 07:48 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
For some reason "fish" makes me think of this guy

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
For some reason "fish" makes me think of this guy
Why not?

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Apparently, I'm not the only one to make this assumption: http://coppernblue.blogspot.com/2008/04/caveat.html
What a shame, just think of the "would of, could of" potential of this kid. At least he could have been like Samsonov

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote