HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Should Luc Robitaille have a statue at STAPLES Center?

Old
06-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
To the people who say Luc before Wayne - did Wayne not build hockey in LA? Did he not turn LA into a somewhat legitimate hockey location?

There would be no Anaheim/San Jose/Phoenix etc. without the Wayne trade - relative to his importance, if Luc gets a life-size statue, Wayne should get a statue the size of the whole damn arena
I could do without Anaheim...

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 02:22 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I could do without Anaheim...
Touche.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The LA Kings existed before Wayne. I don't care what he did for the NHL, I care about what he did specifically for the Kings other than blessing us with his fame.

Luc is a true King. He is the #1 example of the guy with the tatoo on his... He holds the Kings goal-scoring record and is the most beloved King player of all-time. I don't care that he is the highest scoring left wing of all time as much as I care about he was the highest goal-scoring King of all time when it comes to this honor. He edged Gretzky in a King uniform and that is what gives him enough honor to have something like a statue erected at Staples.

Gretzky earned his through NHL achievements, this is our territory, Luc earns his through Kings achievements. He may not lead in every category, but it is the combination of his greatness both off the ice and on the ice that makes him worthy -- as well as his own personal fame amongst Kings fans specifically. While Gretzky and Blake are demanding trades, Luc did everything right and always did what was best for the organization combined with Hall of Fame excellence on the ice...

He is the greatest player drafted by the organization. He is our greatest son and deserves more than a banner on the roof. That is my take on the topic.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 06-22-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 02:45 AM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The LA Kings existed before Wayne. I don't care what he did for the NHL, I care about what he did specifically for the Kings other than blessing us with his fame.

Luc is a true King. He is the #1 example of the guy with the tatoo on his... He holds the Kings goal-scoring record and is the most beloved King player of all-time. I don't care that he is the highest scoring left wing of all time as much as I care about he was the highest goal-scoring King of all time when it comes to this honor. He edged Gretzky in a King uniform and that is what gives him enough honor to have something like a statue erected at Staples.

Gretzky earned his through NHL achievements, this is our territory, Luc earns his through Kings achievements. He may not lead in every category, but it is the combination of his greatness both off the ice and on the ice that makes him worthy -- as well as his own personal fame amongst Kings fans specifically. While Gretzky and Blake are demanding trades, Luc did everything right and always did what was best for the organization combined with Hall of Fame excellence on the ice...

He is the greatest player drafted by the organization. He is our greatest son and deserves more than a banner on the roof. That is my take on the topic.
Well if you want to talk about Kings' achievements, Wayne singlehandedly carried us to the Cup Finals. No King has ever come close to doing that

Old
06-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Well if you want to talk about Kings' achievements, Wayne singlehandedly carried us to the Cup Finals. No King has ever come close to doing that
Don't get me wrong, I am not pouring down hate on Wayne, just saying that, as a King, he is not the end all be all of the franchise. It was quite a feat for him to do what he did in the playoffs of '93, but Robitaille led the team in goals for both the 92-93 and 93-94 seasons. He had a big hand in the team's success during that time as well. Just because Wayne had one extremely good playoff run with us doesn't get him a statue in front of our arena. I still think Luc wins the battle in a King uniform and deserves the honor more. At least have it be a player that is drafted by and bleeds for the organization.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Johnny Rockstar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

"The Kings would reach new heights in the 1992–93 season, but the campaign started badly when it was learned that Gretzky had suffered a career-threatening herniated thoracic disk before the season began. The concern was not mainly whether Gretzky would be able to play that season, but if he would ever be able to play again. But even without their captain and leading scorer, the Kings got off to a blistering 20-8-3 start,[33] with left-winger Luc Robitaille, who won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the 1986–87's NHL Rookie of the Year, filling in as captain for the ailing Gretzky. Robitaille led the team until Gretzky returned after missing the first 39 games.[34] Robitaille would go on to retire at the end of the 2005–06 season as the highest-scoring left winger in National Hockey League history.[35]

Robitaille and Gretzky, along with former Oilers' winger Jari Kurri, forwards Tony Granato and Tomas Sandstrom, defensemen Rob Blake, Marty McSorley, and Alexei Zhitnik, and goalie Kelly Hrudey, guided the Kings through a rough middle portion of the season until they found their game once again in the last three months of the campaign to qualify for post-season action. Although Gretzky came back to score 16 goals and 49 assists (65 points) in just 45 games, it was Robitaille who was the Kings' impact player that season, leading the team in scoring with 63 goals and 62 assists (125 points) in 84 regular season games, setting new NHL all-time records for goals and points scored by a left winger in a single season.[33] The Kings finished with a 39-35-10 record (88 points), clinching third place in the Smythe Division."

06-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs 4 Vezina View Post

Luc DID go to the Red Wings to win a Cup.. Thats the only thing that keeps me from saying yes. I want somebody to win a Cup with us first before they get a statue.
Exactly.

The next Kings statue at Staples should be of Kopitar, after he leads the team to 5 or 6 Stanley Cups, and he's been retired for all of 5 minutes.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:

Rychel and Shuchuk helped

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Rychel and Shuchuk helped
Yeah, and Daryl Sydor says hello too!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am not pouring down hate on Wayne, just saying that, as a King, he is not the end all be all of the franchise. It was quite a feat for him to do what he did in the playoffs of '93, but Robitaille led the team in goals for both the 92-93 and 93-94 seasons. He had a big hand in the team's success during that time as well. Just because Wayne had one extremely good playoff run with us doesn't get him a statue in front of our arena. I still think Luc wins the battle in a King uniform and deserves the honor more. At least have it be a player that is drafted by and bleeds for the organization.
Well I believe that no regular season achievment comes close to actual playoff success

Old
06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Quote:
Absolutely. Greatest King to put on every single uniform we have had to date... #1 fan favorite and holds the most important Kings records... I think it would be a great gesture. Gretzky didn't get us a cup and he gets a statue...
Agree 100%.

He is one of the greatest Kings players of all time and he still continues to contribute to the organization even after his retirement. He eats, sleeps and bleeds los angeles kings and his loyalty to the organization should be rewarded.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
DaAnimal

no statue, end of story.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Well I believe that no regular season achievment comes close to actual playoff success
Fine. LA Kings playoff statistics:

Robitaille: 89 points and 41 goals

Gretzky: 94 points and 29 goals

Overall:

Robitaille: 557 goals

Gretzky: 246 goals

Who is the greatest goal-scorer in Kings history?

Or even, who is the greatest goal-scorer in Kings playoff history?

Answer: Luc Robitaille...

Old
06-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
The whole Gretzky v. Robitaille argument is ridiculous...

Gretzky HAS a statue already... AND he has his jersey retired...

To those who are saying no to a Robitaille statue... I simply ask this....

Where's the harm? Where's the harm in a franchise recognizing a player that has a tremendous impact? Where's the harm in honoring a player who has done so much both on AND OFF the ice for a team?

Where's the harm?

I know it's easy to be snide and curmudgeonly on the internet... and it's easy to look at the world as a giant role playing game and debate the merits... but I ask you...

WHERE'S THE HARM?

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:17 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Fine. LA Kings playoff statistics:

Robitaille: 89 points and 41 goals

Gretzky: 94 points and 29 goals

Overall:

Robitaille: 557 goals

Gretzky: 246 goals

Who is the greatest goal-scorer in Kings history?

Or even, who is the greatest goal-scorer in Kings playoff history?

Answer: Luc Robitaille...
Fair enough, I love Luc too, and he deserves a statue. But you can't even begin to compare offensive prowess - especially in the playoffs - Gretzky is just that much better than Luc.

Old
06-23-2009, 12:20 AM
neus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
What say you?
Jesus its not like luc was a roman emperor, or even gordy howe at least

neus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
Quote:
Originally Posted by neus View Post
Jesus its not like luc was a roman emperor, or even gordy howe at least
Fun fact.... the only people who to ever have statues of them... Roman Emperors and Gordie Howe.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:00 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

I havn't read through the entire thread, but if you give Luc a statue you need to do the same for Dionne. The guy symbolized everything that was LA King for a very long time and deserve just as much credit as Robitaille.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:10 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
I havn't read through the entire thread, but if you give Luc a statue you need to do the same for Dionne. The guy symbolized everything that was LA King for a very long time and deserve just as much credit as Robitaille.
Dionne was a favorite player of mine, so I have no problem with that either. But I'm puttingmy foot down: no statue for Daryl Sydor!

Old
06-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Dionne was a favorite player of mine, so I have no problem with that either. But I'm puttingmy foot down: no statue for Daryl Sydor!
How about Alex Zhitnik?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
LAX attack*

Montreal vs. LA is on classic series...

Kings win game 1... Hrudey was truly excellent, as was Wayne (other than tipping the goal in his own net though)

Old
06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Montreal vs. LA is on classic series...

Kings win game 1... Hrudey was truly excellent, as was Wayne (other than tipping the goal in his own net though)
I'd watch, but going through that misery once, in real time, was enough.
I don't want to ruin my whole day.

P.S.

Thanks McStick

Old
06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
How about Alex Zhitnik?
I liked Alexi, but a statue, No. A bottle of Stoli, You bet!

Old
06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I'd watch, but going through that misery once, in real time, was enough.
I don't want to ruin my whole day.

P.S.

Thanks McStick
It already has... I was barely alive during the time, but I am yelling at the TV...

We should have won. The Canadiens were simply lucky and benefited from Patrick Roy...

IN game 3, that should have been a penalty shot...

Hrudey was just playing out of his mind though

Old
06-24-2009, 10:07 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I think Luc's jersey retirement speech is still going....
Hmm, I guess I implied it wasn't done already.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote