HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Coburn had arthroscopic surgery (hip); 6-to-8 weeks rehab

Old
06-22-2009, 11:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 750
Coburn had arthroscopic surgery (hip); 6-to-8 weeks rehab

http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/news/bc...flyers-coburn/
Quote:

Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Braydon Coburn had a minor hip procedure done today in Nashville by Dr. Thomas Byrd.

Coburn is expected to be ready by training camp.

Byrd also performed hip surgery in recent weeks on Simon Gagne and Randy Jones, both of whom will be ready for camp.
Philly.com:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...p_surgery.html

Quote:
Flyers defenseman Braydon Coburn underwent arthroscopic surgery yesterday to remove a small, bony impingement in his left hip, general manager Paul Holmgren said.

Surgeon Thomas Byrd performed the procedure in Nashville. Coburn's rehabilitation is expected to take six to eight weeks, the Flyers said.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-23-2009 at 09:28 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Whaaaat? Kinda nuts. I never took the phrase "arthroscopic surgery" lightly, but if they say he'll be ready by camp I guess he'll be ready by camp.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 01:04 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Whaaaat? Kinda nuts. I never took the phrase "arthroscopic surgery" lightly, but if they say he'll be ready by camp I guess he'll be ready by camp.
Isn't that where they just make tiny cuts and go in there with robots and cameras and ****? So many surgeries happen these days that I don't even think anything of it anymore.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:20 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Isn't that where they just make tiny cuts and go in there with robots and cameras and ****? So many surgeries happen these days that I don't even think anything of it anymore.
I'm fairly sure that's what it is

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Opus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I'm fairly sure that's what it is
That's correct.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:38 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Yea, I had arthro on my knee... it really isn't that big of a deal, like a 1-2 week recovery period. They pretty much just go in and take out whatever is wrong.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Black Ice

It depends on what kind of surgery is done. I had a bit of torn meniscus cleaned up on my left knee; I only missed a few days of work and was back running in a few weeks. I had a tendon shortened on the right knee plus the meniscus trimming and I was in an immobilizer for one month and out of work for two months and I work a desk job. Both surgeries were arthroscopic.

I hope Coby gets better before training camp.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Ever since I was little I thought it was a bigger procedure because I remember it taking Mankind out of service for a while. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else...but I thought, wrong, it seems, that they basically went in there and scooped just about your whole knee in fixing it.

But yeah, it was Mankind who was injured years ago and I think had this procedure. Maybe the time period just seemed longer cause I was younger.

Old
06-23-2009, 11:02 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Ever since I was little I thought it was a bigger procedure because I remember it taking Mankind out of service for a while. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else...but I thought, wrong, it seems, that they basically went in there and scooped just about your whole knee in fixing it.

But yeah, it was Mankind who was injured years ago and I think had this procedure. Maybe the time period just seemed longer cause I was younger.
It was Bret Hart. They actually broadcasted the surgery on Monday Night RAW.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Esq.

Quote:

Scopes aren't really a distinct procedure. They are just a less invasive way of performing any given surgery. They use tiny little entry points rather than opening up a big hole. It is less taxing on your body and you don't end up with such large scars or healing time for the wound itself. If the procedure is rather simple, recovery may be short. You can still have a scope procedure that will come with a long recovery time. It depends more upon the nature of the injury and what part of your body is being operated on more than on whether it's a scope or open procedure.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
maybe thats why he was getting turned like a top for most of the season.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
I had a tendon shortened on the right knee plus the meniscus trimming and I was in an immobilizer for one month and out of work for two months and I work a desk job.
Good heavens.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:10 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
maybe thats why he was getting turned like a top for most of the season.
He definitely looked like he had taken a step backward. Maybe that was it.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
Scopes aren't really a distinct procedure. They are just a less invasive way of performing any given surgery. They use tiny little entry points rather than opening up a big hole. It is less taxing on your body and you don't end up with such large scars or healing time for the wound itself. If the procedure is rather simple, recovery may be short. You can still have a scope procedure that will come with a long recovery time. It depends more upon the nature of the injury and what part of your body is being operated on more than on whether it's a scope or open procedure.
this is corret. "scoping" is really just the new way of doing surgery where it's NOT necessary to open the entire area up. I had Arthroscopic surgery when they did my ACL replacement. I was off the knee for 6 weeks and then 8 weeks of rehab. They make one small cut so they can insert a small fiber optic camera into the area so they can see inside the knee/hip for the proceedure. They make other cuts as needed for the procedure including at least 1 for the small lazer knife to go in and "cut" away the trouble spots. For me I had a total of 4 small cuts, 2 were for where they puts the screws in, 1 for the "knife" and one for the camera. Thus, even something like an ACL replacement which is no small proceedure is usually do as an Arthroscopic proceedure now. I know people who had basically what Coburn just did and it's basically just a "scraping" of the bone and it's a minor proceedure. He'll probably have some selling and tenderness in this hip for a week or 2 and then he can begin working the muscles again. He probably has 2 or 3 small cuts, 1 for the camera, 1 for the lazer and they had to feed in a tube for suction too, sometimes they use the same cut that they feed the lazer through and sometimes they use one for the suction alone. It was most likely done as an out patient proceedure and he walked out of the facility (mr brother did when he had the cartiledge scoped on his knee 15 years ago).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
It depends on what kind of surgery is done. I had a bit of torn meniscus cleaned up on my left knee; I only missed a few days of work and was back running in a few weeks. I had a tendon shortened on the right knee plus the meniscus trimming and I was in an immobilizer for one month and out of work for two months and I work a desk job. Both surgeries were arthroscopic.

I hope Coby gets better before training camp.
Damn, I had my ACL replaced and only missed 1 day of work. Had it done on a friday, was out of the hospitol on Sunday and back at work on Monday. I was on crutches and a brace for 6 weeks and then 8 weeks of rehab but damn, I'd go crazy basically bedridden that long.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It was Bret Hart. They actually broadcasted the surgery on Monday Night RAW.
I don't doubt this happening, but I can only remember as far back to Mankind.

Old
06-23-2009, 08:07 PM
RoDu

Quote:
I don't doubt this happening, but I can only remember as far back to Mankind.
I remember HHH having some of his quad rebuilding surgery shown on TV

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
That's correct.
You would know.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote