HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slump Bustin' a goalie

Old
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 500
Curious, you didn't recently switch from playing at the same rink most of the time to a new one?

Hounsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
Curious, you didn't recently switch from playing at the same rink most of the time to a new one?
No, why?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
I did, and now I'm scoring more goals than John Tavares as a 16 year old. I needed one goal to break me out of a slump, and it worked wonderfully.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, i'm not sure if i sent this to you or not via PM, but just in case, here you go.

Back in the late 60's early 70's, the Russians were experimenting with the conscious and sub-conscious mind. They came up with very interesting conclusions. Here it is...

They found that there is no difference between the two except that you use your conscious mind while you are a wake and the sub-conscious mind while you are a sleep.

What make this so interesting is that they figured out how to preprogram the sub-conscious mind while you sleep so the mind thinks that when you are awake, you had already performed the task. Let me give you an example.

They took two basketball teams, one on the court doing actual practice and the other in a room on recliner chairs listening to music and every time they heard a base beat, they made the pass or took the shot. The shot need to be that kind of shot that didn't hit the rim, but would go through without hitting the rim. You follow me so far?

Then when it came time for game time, the team that did the meditation beat the practice team by a large margin.

Now, what does this mean for you?

Every night before you go to bed, you lie down on the bed with a pillow under your head and I want you to listen to your IPod, and very beat you hear, you picture in your mind the perfect save....each time. And I want you to make those stand on your head type of saves....two legged pad slides, out of the air grabbing puck saves, skate saves, split blocker saves...etc.

Now, I want you to do this every night for 30 days. If it improves your game, then you continue. If it doesn't help your game out after 30 days....stop! Now this doesn't mean listen one night and not the next...every night for 30 days...no excuses.

Now, don't listen to the radio when you go to sleep. Because every 30 mins, there is news and generally it's bad news. This is why you don't listen to the radio at night.

Now the Russians found out that if you do this every night before you go to bed and hit ream sleep, you body (mind) will work on the last 5 mins on what you were doing for the next 8 hours. It's like an 8 hr. practice while you sleep.

So, the next time you play, your mind will think you have done it in the past and you will make the save because as far as your mind is concerned...you have. Get it!

So, you try this for 30 days and then PM and let me know what you think. It has worked for every goalie I have taught and it has worked for me when I played.

After a couple of days...there will be no slump!

Good luck
Head coach
I would love to figure a way to work this into a wingers game. I need more practice.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Hounsy

I have found a few rinks that seem to throw me off my angles most times I play there. My assumption is that something in the sight lines/look compared to what I am used to throws my brain off. But in your case this would not be the issue.

Hounsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, let me know how it goes for you.

Head coach
That kind of positive visualization defintely works from my experience.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Badwolf

Send a message via MSN to Badwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
I would love to figure a way to work this into a wingers game. I need more practice.
Instead of saves, visualize scoring amazing goals. Like net-seeking laser beams to the top corner glove side and the like... that should work I think

Badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:07 PM
190Octane

See the puck, stop the puck. Don't complicate things.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Well, it should work the same way. The winger should picture him/herself as making the perfect pass, the perfect shot, the perfect deke, the perfect dangle...etc.

There is no difference in position when it comes time to programming the mind. It's just a matter of doing every night before you go to bed. And the play in your mind should be lighting fast.

Ever notice that when you watch NHL games during the regular season, the speed seem so slow compaired to the second round of the playoffs? When you get into the final four, the team are ungodly fast. This is what gets you to the big show!

Head coach

06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
MikeD

to add onto Headcoach...

goaing back into the 70's I had a swim coach who had been very versed in the Experimentations with mental visualization. In hte course of my training i had hit a wall in improving my times. A few sessions of the program described by HC broke down that wall, helping me again begin to reduce my times all around. Swimming IM and all four strokes in USA and AAU swimming, it was probably the single most influencial training I recieved, bring my times inline with the top 3% in the nation at that time.

The basic gist of the Russians was an experiment involving free throws. With two groups of evenly skilled players one was instructed to spend a specific amount of time on the court practicing free throws. The other group was to spend NO ON COURT TIME at this skill. They were to use a combination of PMR and mental visualization each evening. 20 minutes of trained PMR methodology and 30 minutes of mental visualization of free throws. After a period of two weeks both groups were brought on court with each player performing 10 free throw. The group who ONLY practiced with PMR and mental visualization made a much higher percentage of their shots than those who practiced on court.

It would go with out saying that the imagery that you use will be very critical. At the start of your program it is important to visualize with a slowed down perspective. "SEE" each step in your skill set using correct tech. Speed it up in your mind as you progress. Those of you who have stronger mental visualization skills will gain good benefit. How are you at reading? When you have a book your reading that you enjoy, do you see the story unfold in your minds eye as you read? If the answer is yes, you will gain much great results from this program. For those who do not you will need to spend more time with this to get the same results.

Prior to beggining your mental visualization it is KEY to get yourself in the correct frame of mind. PMR (progressive muscle relaxation) is the best way to get into that "zone". I dont want to make this a very long post so i will leave it at doing a search for PMR with google or your fav. search engine. Add 20-25 minutes of this prior to your mental visualization and you will see dramatic improvement. Particularly for those long stretches or times when you do not have access to ice. It is quite amazing how much "rust" you can prevent from sticking to you during an off-season.

on a side note...if your not feeling success with PRM or are unsure, further search methods of "self-hypnosis" and the methods used for preperation. PMR goes hand in hand with it. specific to slumping goaltenders....DO NOT START TINKERING WITH YOUR GAME. Return to the basic fundamentals of the position such as stance and your basic movement drills. The rest will fall back in line.

Last edited by MikeD: 06-26-2009 at 12:09 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
MikeD

for anyone who asks, I will make the effort to go into much detail on this subject but be prepared for a VERY long post of the details step by step.....

Just want to give a shout out/Credit to the Coach who introduced me to this method of training...Coach Ted Williams, Houston Texas

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
for anyone who asks, I will make the effort to go into much detail on this subject but be prepared for a VERY long post of the details step by step.....

Just want to give a shout out/Credit to the Coach who introduced me to this method of training...Coach Ted Williams, Houston Texas
Every interesting! I learned this back in Houston Texas in 1974.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote