HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

UFA Rob Scuderi

Old
06-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
mark eaton gets 2 mill and scuderi is better.
Mark Eaton is a much better hockey player than Rob Scuderi. Fact.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Scuderi is probably worth $1.5mil-$2mil.

With that in mind, Scuderi will probably make $2.5mil-$3mil next season, because someone will overpay to bring him in, expecting the world of him.

Fact is, Scuderi is a great defensive defenseman. He's great positionally, he is great at blocking shots and using his stick to get into passing lanes. He is a fly under the radar kind of guy who never gets mentioned often because he's doing his job so well. Another fact: Scuderi contributes next to NOTHING offensively. Bottom line: if you're a team with extra cap space and a good amount of offensive production out of your defense, Scuderi is your man. He's one of the best bottom pairing defensemen in the league, and he's also serviceable as a second pairing guy when put out there with someone who can add a bit to the scoresheet.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 02:04 AM
jdpitt05

The Pens have 8 million left in cap room to sign 1st and 2nd line right wingers, a 4th line center, a 6th defenseman, and a backup goalie.

RW - 2
RW - 2
C - .8
D - 2
G - 1

If we follow a scenario similar to these payouts we'd have like 200k in cap room left. Signing Scuds to 2.5-3.0 cripples our cap situation.
If Scuderi wants more than 2 mill/year I let him walk. I think he's as good as gone.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Concussed

Someone will overpay. Consider this:

Jay McKee - $4 million a year cap hit.

Barrett Jackman - $3.625 million a year cap hit.

Scuderi is probably better than both of them, so I'd expect someone to pay him at least $3.5 million a year. Granted, I think all three of them will be overpaid, but these owners and GM's just can't help themselves.

Concussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 11:04 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
$3m-$3.5m per year from Atlanta.

Scuderi showed quite a bit of defensive prowess in the finals, and Atlanta is looking to add a defensively minded player.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:28 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

It seems to happen every year where a team makes a playoff run and then it scrambles in the off-season to re-sign its UFAs at a premium because they believe they'll be needed to make another run.

Shero's a smart guy and rarely seems to overpay. Last summer he signed Orpik ($3.75M, LA was offering around $5M) at a discount while he let Malone walk.

Rob Scuderi's main talents are having a quick, accurate stick and shot blocking, which makes him a very good stay-at-home defenseman inside the Penguins defensive gameplan, which is to collapse in the slot and keep the puck to the outside. Otherwise, he's pretty average as far as speed, maneuverability and puck movement goes. He'll fit in well on a lot of teams.

If "my" Penguins can re-sign him for $2.25M, I'd be happy with that, but I'd almost rather see the Penguins only concentrate on extending Kris Letang to a long-term contract.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
KGpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Mark Eaton is a much better hockey player than Rob Scuderi. Fact.
Your opinion. Not a fact...

Eaton is a solid defensman however if you asked the pens if salary was the same who they would rather have, I'd bet they'd say Scuderi...

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
I think there are defensemen who are arguably just as good or even better that will go for less. Scuderi will get paid because he got a cup.
pretty sure zanon wants more than 2 mil. same type of player. i think the preds should sign him to 3 year 2mil per. i bet he is waiting to see what scuderi signs for.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Shaun_W_W

I am just glad Fletcher isn't the one giving out contracts anymore...

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:52 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Anyone thinking its less than $3 million is kidding themselves. Last year Commodore and Finger made $3.75 and $3.5 million per annually playing similar defensive first games and Scuderi is better than either of them.

I'm hoping we can get him to stick around for less than market price, but I'm not holding my breath.
Well, the cap is going down.

And offense is sexier from D-Men than just being able to play good defense (that's so ass-backwards though...)

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There are about 20 teams that would love to sign him for about $2M-$2.5M, a few teams that will go to $3M and term and probably a couple that will go higher. He just won a Cup and his financial security is still in question, so this looks like a guy who moves on for a best offer.

Good player, but veteran defensemen get paid, often over and above their true worth. This isn't necessarily someone's albatross contract in a year or two, but it's feasible.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Fire Julien

It depends if Mike Komisarek is signed before... let's say he gets 5-6 M like some people seem to think he will, then who knows how much Cooderi will get

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Ryan52

hes getting what finger got last year at least

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote