HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Agree to One-Year Contract with Ray Emery

Old
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
DickTony

vCash: 500
Judging by the fact that he called Emery a "****ing retard", I'd assume he isn't his biggest fan.

Also, I'm almost positive Emery isn't mentally retarded, and (without trying to be too PC here) you should probably not make yourself like a total jackass by writing stuff like that.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanFoley View Post
You can bet that he's being reminded of this at every turn by both Flyers management and his agent (Scott Boras, Wrangler of Retards). There will be bumps in the road, but I expect Emery will be on his best behavior this season.
Huh?
Ray Emery's agent is JP Barry, not Scott Boras.
In fact, I'm pretty certain Boras has no clients outside of baseball.

CarlRacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanFoley View Post
This is an email I sent out to a few of my softcore-hockey buddies. Figured I'd post it here for a proper skewering:

A few people have asked about the new goalie, Ray Emery.

Emery, for those of you who don't know, is a fiery and enigmatic 26-year-old goaltender whose most recent play in the NHL was with the Ottawa Senators. For those of you unfamiliar with the codewords:

fiery = prone to arguing with anyone around him,
enigmatic = less than 100% dedicated to his profession

Emery had one and a half good seasons on a very good Senators team prior to suffering a wrist injury and subsequent meltdown. He showed up at Ottawa's 2007 training camp out of shape and then embarked on a series of embarrassing public episodes before being dropped from the roster four months later. These episodes (allegedly) include:
  • showing up late to practice;
  • not following his prescribed rehab regimen (wrist injury);
  • use of controlled substances;
  • a road rage incident involving a senior citizen;
  • multiple moving violations, culminating in a suspended license for 'stunt driving';
  • various minor locker room infractions.
In short, Ray Emery is a ****ing retard. Pro sports are full of them, the Flyers already have a couple. Now we have one in goal.

Coming into the 2007-2008 season, no NHL team would sign Emery, so he signed with a KHL team. He kicked ass in Russia last season (while suffering yet another high-profile imbecilic episode), and now he returns to the NHL for a trial season.

The good news is this: Emery is a good goalie. He's no master technician, but he covers the bottom of the net extremely well and is one of the best scrum goalies in today's game. He picks up a lot of penalties, but his physical aggressiveness keeps some forwards out of the crease entirely. He's got good reflexes and a strong glove hand. He's 26, so his best years should be ahead of him. We get him for one year at $1.5m. That's a 70% discount on what Biron is going to command, and that's important because we're already up against the 09/10 cap.

The immediate benefit of signing Emery is this - we don't have to trade anyone. If they want, the Flyers could stand pat and enter this season with basically the same skating roster as last season. This would not have been possible with Biron.

In many ways, Biron and Emery are polar opposites. Biron is an average regular season goalie with an extremely calm demeanor. He isn't particularly talented (at least by NHL standards), but he has good technique and tends to play better in more important games. He is extremely thin and occasionally struggles with crashing muckers. I rank him around 20th in the league, and he'll certainly be a starter somewhere next season. He's currently in the prime of his career.

Emery, on the other hand, is a ****ing retard. We're simply getting him at such a steep discount that we waive that point. We do not press it. We look over it.

And here's the other thing - this truly is a trial contract, and very possibly Emery's last crack at the NHL. You can bet that he's being reminded of this at every turn by both Flyers management and his agent (Scott Boras, Wrangler of Retards). There will be bumps in the road, but I expect Emery will be on his best behavior this season.

That said, I foresee three potential problems:
  1. John Stevens is a player's coach (code for a non-disciplinarian, player-friendly coach). Stevens needs to find a way to focus Emery's intense energy in a positive manner. Stevens has previously failed to do this with a number of our current players;
  2. The leadership group on the Flyers has a fratty feel to it right now. I'm concerned that Emery is going to integrate readily with this group and that it could reinforce some of his unhealthy behaviors (do I sound like an old lady or what?);
  3. Some goalies catch magic in a bottle early and are never able to reproduce it. I put Brian Boucher in this category, along with Jim Carey, Jose Theodore, etc. Is Emery's name going to be added to that list? Who can say... but his neck was looking awfully puffy in that welcome-to-the-Flyers press conference.
Here's hoping he plays well enough to earn a long term contact after this season.

Nathan
Who gives a .... It looks like you have nothing better to do. Your a hater dude. I hope he comes in and gives this team a needed spark. He is a Flyer now and for that you have to hope he does well. If not we just move on. This is sports not life or death.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
CantSeeColors

Didn't we cover all of this stuff at least a dozen times when the rumors first broke a month ago?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 05:01 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
What is the point of this? To blast on Emery for everything he has done wrong and hate on him? Why the hell did you make this thread? We know all of this. It's been discussed to death since the Dreger first broke the rumor.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 06:49 PM
NathanFoley

Quote:
Also, I'm almost positive Emery isn't mentally retarded, and (without trying to be too PC here) you should probably not make yourself like a total jackass by writing stuff like that.
I hope it's obvious I'm using the term facetiously. There’s really no indication that Emery has intelligence issues – however he HAS made a number of bad decisions. I was on the fence about using the term, but I liked the way "f-ing retard" lands after those opening paragraphs. I initially used a less juvenile phrase and thought it came off sounding PC and toothless (no offense to toothless people).

In retrospect, “thundering idiot” or “goddamn cretin” would have worked just as well.

Quote:
Ray Emery's agent is JP Barry, not Scott Boras.
Doh, typed the wrong name.

Quote:
Who gives a .... It looks like you have nothing better to do. Your a hater dude.
Like I said, it was an email I did for some friends who don’t follow hockey very closely. I don’t think I’m a hater. I’m basically arguing that Emery is a high risk signing. I hope he kicks ass for us like he did in the KHL.

Quote:
What is the point of this? To blast on Emery for everything he has done wrong and hate on him? Why the hell did you make this thread?
Is it 'hating' to predict that Emery's off-ice shenanigans will continue in Philadelphia?

I feel like my post was pretty balanced. He’s talented, he’s young, he has acted like an idiot and now he’s getting a second chance with the Flyers. I’d be surprised if there weren’t one or two incidents where Emery comes off looking like a smacked ass this season, but I’m hopeful he’ll play well enough (and keep his **** together long enough) to do a good job here. I felt the same way when the Flyers acquired Daigle, Falloon, Boulerice, Gratton, Downie, etc. You hope for the best, but these kinds of behavioral issues don't fix themselves overnight.

Nathan

NathanFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Blah Blah Blah If you feel so strongly about your post why are you spending all this time defending it? Do not take this personal, but by the looks of your grammar you have to be fairly young..15 maybe? I hope that is the case because if it is not, where ever you went to school I would ask for my money back.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

My question is why you would put so much effort and 'research' into a letter for fans that don't follow hockey closely?

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:16 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
My question is why you would put so much effort and 'research' into a letter for fans that don't follow hockey closely?
That's my question as well, I mean, I just laugh at my friends who aren't hockey fans and then continue on with my life.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:24 AM
pelts35.com

As I have had more time to thing about this signing I think a level head has prevailed and if Homer brings in a high quality backup bringing Emery in might work out.

While Emery has baggage there's no question that when he keeps a level head that he's a very good goaltender capable of stealing games. This issue becomes when he loses his head and/or is suspended for a period of time, will the Flyers have a backup that can play in consecutive games. If they do, then maybe this could work.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
While Emery has baggage there's no question that when he keeps a level head that he's a very good goaltender capable of stealing games. This issue becomes when he loses his head and/or is suspended for a period of time, will the Flyers have a backup that can play in consecutive games. If they do, then maybe this could work.
What Emery brings is what Biron doesn't, a supreme will to win. He's not laid back and jovial. He's feisty and angry. I always hated when the Flyers played against him, which is why I was happy to hear they were talking to him.

Three options for backup: Niitty, a young prospect a la Harding, or wily vet like Legace.

This is really the least of our worries now, Backlund could be forced into duty if necessary. A lot will depend on the cap.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
What Emery brings is what Biron doesn't, a supreme will to win. He's not laid back and jovial. He's feisty and angry. I always hated when the Flyers played against him, which is why I was happy to hear they were talking to him.

Three options for backup: Niitty, a young prospect a la Harding, or wily vet like Legace.

This is really the least of our worries now, Backlund could be forced into duty if necessary. A lot will depend on the cap.
That's my fear. Because of Emery's volatility I'd like to see them have an backup that can be counted on. I'd really like to see Backlund spend a full season in Glens Falls getting used to the smaller rink.

That said I don't see any of the 3 you mentioned wearing orange and black next season.

Old
06-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

Your options as follows.

1) A guy who has proven incapable of "carrying the load."

2) Unproven.

3) Did you see what happened in St Louis?

Does it seem like a primary concern in June? No, probably not. However, if Emery doesn't work out and you don't have a backup that can actually play the season is effectively OVER.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Your options as follows.

1) A guy who has proven incapable of "carrying the load."

2) Unproven.

3) Did you see what happened in St Louis?

Does it seem like a primary concern in June? No, probably not. However, if Emery doesn't work out and you don't have a backup that can actually play the season is effectively OVER.
No doubt we need a plan in place, but that's a job for our pro scouts.

Legace was an example, as was Harding. I have more faith in Niittymaki than that, and I think he's still the most likely option.

There are lots of other guys in both categories, e.g. Clemmenson, Anderson. I don't have the list here but we can find someone who can play at least 20 games until a deal can be done, should Emery get hurt or flame out completely.

It remains to be seen what Homer will do, but, given all the other issues, it really isn't a primary concern right now.

If Homer really does go on a dealing spree to get JBo, and multi-player deals are involved, there is a chance we can get a goalie back that way. There is also a good chance that a decent UFA goalie will be left unsigned by training camp too, e.g. Khabi or Fernandez - or even Biron.

They have played their hand, it's Emery. We'll see who the other guy is later.

Old
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
pelts35.com

Where we can agree to disagree is whether the backup goalie is priority right now. IMO, given who they signed to be their starter, it is a priority sooner than later.

I would much rather get a Clemmensen/Anderson signed early on rather than seeing those types being signed by others and the Flyers end up signing whoever is left.

Old
06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Where we can agree to disagree is whether the backup goalie is priority right now. IMO, given who they signed to be their starter, it is a priority sooner than later.

I would much rather get a Clemmensen/Anderson signed early on rather than seeing those types being signed by others and the Flyers end up signing whoever is left.
My point as well.

Backup goalie is always important, because goalies get hurt and you need someone capable of holding the fort. If we had a reliable starting goalie then I'd be less concerned about who was backing up our starter, but given the fact that our starter has already shown the mental makeup to go AWOL on his team, you NEED to have someone that can fill the gap if he does that again.

This isn't like the Devs last year...who had a reliable starter when not injured...and notice how important having guys in their system was.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
My point as well.

Backup goalie is always important, because goalies get hurt and you need someone capable of holding the fort. If we had a reliable starting goalie then I'd be less concerned about who was backing up our starter, but given the fact that our starter has already shown the mental makeup to go AWOL on his team, you NEED to have someone that can fill the gap if he does that again.

This isn't like the Devs last year...who had a reliable starter when not injured...and notice how important having guys in their system was.
All true, my gut feeling is that Holmgren has already decided to re-sign Niittymaki, unless something else comes up during the draft dealings. If not, we'll have a back up, whether Niitty or someone else, by July 2nd.

Old
06-24-2009, 04:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
You also need to have a backup goalie who are happy in the role. Just like you need 4th liners who know they're 4th liners.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You also need to have a backup goalie who are happy in the role. Just like you need 4th liners who know they're 4th liners.
But one who plays like he wants to unseat the #1... and dreams of doing so, all the while satisfied to come in when and where needed... prepared to play a long stretch or finish out the season, if need be... all at a backup's contract.

IMO, Nitty fills the bill except for the finishing out the season part. But who knows, if healthy maybe Nitty could go the long route if he knew he had to.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Kaktus*

back up..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flyers goalie.jpg‎ (34.6 KB, 8 views)

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I kinda cant wait to see what Mr Emery does. Not like we broke the bank on him

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
As I have had more time to thing about this signing I think a level head has prevailed and if Homer brings in a high quality backup bringing Emery in might work out.

He was capable of stealing games with a suffocating Ottawa defense in front of him....It remains to be seen whether he can do that here.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote