HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Albany Rookies

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Albany Rookies

Just wondering what your expectations aer for the Albany rookies this year. I will start with some of my own.

Zach Parise - He hasn't been quite as dominant as I thought he would be in preseason. I am beginning to wonder if his offense won't dip off alot from college to the pro ranks. I still expect solid rookie numbers in the range of 50 points in 70 games. His linemates aren't really helping him either though.

Ivan Khomutov - He will surprise us all post respectable numbers playing with Suglobov. Khomutov played his best hockey with Ovechkin at the under 18 championships. Suglobov plays a similar game and should help pad Khomutovs stats. Khomuotv will post around 35 points in his rookie year.

Aaron Voros - He has proved late last season and this preseason that his he is forged for the pro game. His mean, physical style will open up space for teamates to create offense. Hopefully he will protect his centerman Foster also. Voros will get 20 goal in his first AHL season and end around 30 points.

Cam Janssen - He should suit up for a good amount of games and get in alot of scraps. He is a good 4th line energy enforcer in the mold of Domi.He will only get around 5 points but put up over 200 PIM easy.

Teemu Kesa - I think many will realize why redline liked this kid so much during his draft year. They raved about his physical allround game. Kesa has a nice shot and should see some PP time on the point. I think the AHL isn't that big a step from the SMLiga. I expect 15 points and a nice +- comparable to other defensmen.

Old
10-12-2004, 01:47 AM
NJDraft

No idea really what to expect in terms of points with Zach [depends on his 'mates]but I think the Morrison total of 35-49-84 sounds reachable [if the team is improved over last year]. I just hope he gets through his first pro season without inj.
Kesa will be interesting. At his size he has to have a rushing and passing ability and I assume they saw some good things or they wouldn't have signed him after 3y.

Old
10-12-2004, 04:02 PM
JimEIV

Also Don't forget when you compare his(Parise) number to past players; This year there will a significant number of NHL players in the AHL.

So the competition is a bit better than When Morrison scored 80+ and Madden scored 90+

Old
10-12-2004, 05:30 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise = The Future
I feel those lofty Morrison numbers will present a pretty difficult challenge for Zach considering all the top goal scorers and point scorers for the Rats last season have left outside of Suglobov and Pihlman. Not sure who is going to step up and collectively replace all the lost offense from the likes of Darby, Kariya, Hulbig, Bicek,and Giroux. Don't think we can realistically count on the likes of Clouthier, Cole, DeMarchi, Janssen, Skrlac, Hale, Brooks, Nittel etc... for exceptional consistent help in the form of timely regular goals and assists and thats eight regular players alone before you even factor in what injuries could do to the teams more rounded/better players. If Suglobov or Pihlman go down for long stretches on the IR, its going to be a tough uphill battle for Parise in terms of putting up some serious offensive numbers imo without having to bring in more offensive-minded players from elsewhere.
Like McAmmond? Rheaume? Both were more than point-a-game players the last time they had regular AHL jobs.

Old
10-12-2004, 07:07 PM
tbr

Parise has been the Rats best player every game this preseason, it may not show on the scoresheet, but you can see it in his play at both ends of the ice. It is amazing to watch and see how smart, and how hard this kid works. Look for Zach to find his scoring touch as he settles in during the season.

Old
10-12-2004, 07:19 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbr
Parise has been the Rats best player every game this preseason, it may not show on the scoresheet, but you can see it in his play at both ends of the ice. It is amazing to watch and see how smart, and how hard this kid works. Look for Zach to find his scoring touch as he settles in during the season.
you actually watched every pre-season game?

Old
10-12-2004, 08:52 PM
tbr

yes

Old
10-12-2004, 11:22 PM
vadvlfan

I'm psyched about seeing them in Norfolk in a couple of weeks. I'll give everyone as good a scouting report as I can.
I think Parise will do better with a voros type (big winger) & a speed demon (suglobov) to balence that line. Ftorek has to tell him expectations are high ,butm he's not the messiah to the Rats. I hope our blueline is better than it was last year. Hard to predict individual stats. I hope Pihlman has no sophomore "jinx" a lot is expected of him & everyone with a more talented team.
There hasn't been a final "cut" just yet either.
vince

Old
10-13-2004, 03:47 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadvlfan
I'm psyched about seeing them in Norfolk in a couple of weeks. I'll give everyone as good a scouting report as I can.
vince
Thanks Vince.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the team after you see them.

Old
10-13-2004, 10:23 PM
sliveD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Just wondering what your expectations aer for the Albany rookies this year. I will start with some of my own.

Zach Parise - He hasn't been quite as dominant as I thought he would be in preseason. I am beginning to wonder if his offense won't dip off alot from college to the pro ranks. I still expect solid rookie numbers in the range of 50 points in 70 games. His linemates aren't really helping him either though.
I always look at a prospect's 1st AHL season as a MAJOR measuring stick because if they can't score consistently in the AHL they won't do it in the NHL! I checked 34 past Devs prospects points in their 1st AHL year.

The top 11 (based on Total NHL Pts) scored at least .85 PPG (Elias .85)
The only players of note below that were:
Dowd .74
Semak .71
Madden .76
Rheaume .64
Gionta .68

Ironically it doesn't work in reverse as the best seasons were:
Zelepukin 1.32 (Including 20 Goals in 22 Games)
Morris 1.31
Pellerin 1.22

But....historically scoring is definitely down (maybe as much as .2 PPG, so.....I think your projections are dead nuts
70 (.88, Top 10 based on last season is what I want to see, Heck Darby had 69)
50 (.63, This is the minimum threshhold in my eyes, Slugo did this last year)
Anything below .6 has to be considered a disappointment

Closed Thread