HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

3rd, 4th, or 5th overall pick to Montreal

Old
06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Jwm1986

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan100 View Post
No one has laughed at 3th yet?
trust me, alot of us have gotten a kick out of it..

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
amnesiac*

My general response,

Understand Montreal hasnt had a FRANCHISE forward since Guy Lafleur, let a lone a superstar centre.

As for trading Carey Price...... I wouldnt have said his name if the Habs didnt already have a decent backup in Halak. ANd why is Carey Price the next saviour anyways? Based on what exactly? One playoff run in the AHL and one WJC tourny? Really? Trevor Kidd and Marc Denis say hi.

I understand hes young and all, but all he showed us this year is that he can get rattled and not get over it. Its gonna take at least 3 years before he'll even start to have the maturity to deal with the pressure in Montreal, AT LEAST. Theres no reason to think Carey Price will be the next Patrick Roy MORE than he could be the next Trevor Kidd.

Goalies are the most unpredictable of all positions, only Brodeur and Luongo have really panned out as great goalies so far (as 1st round picks). If Colorado are willing go give up a franchise centre in Matt Duchene for him, Id do it. Montreal need offense, and theyre nowhere CLOSE to having anyone of Duchene's potential. Price on the other hand, they do have someone.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Nah, it's you who is crazy. Price was a top 5 pick in a strong draft as well, or have you forgotten that? Also he is a goaltender with franchise player potential, who was excellent during his rookie season posting some of the best stats in history for a young goaltender, and during the first half of his sophomore year he was in the top 4 rankings before he got hurt. If people want to trade for him using picks no. 3-5 they have to ADD something, not us. But I would do Price straight up for Hedman or Tavares.

Oh way to change your story there. People can "read" between the lines..
Sorry NBT, gotta call you on this...I don't even put Price in the top five as rookies in the history of MONTREAL!

Catch:

Top 10: Best rookie goalie seasons
The Hockey News
December 03, 2008

By John Grigg

Columbus goalie Steve Mason was named the NHL’s rookie of the month for November. The 2008 world junior championship MVP is a former London Knight and (briefly) Kitchener Ranger in the Ontario League. He started eight games in the month, posting a 5-2-1 record with two shutouts, a 2.09 goals-against average and .919 save percentage for the suddenly deep-between-the-pipes Blue Jackets.

Great numbers to be sure, but Mason’s month of work got us thinking about the best-ever seasons for rookie goalies. So we hit the books and ranked them. Without further ado, here’s THN’s Top 10 seasons from rookie goalies in the NHL:

10. Glenn Resch, New York Islanders 1975-76
• ‘Chico’ may have won the Calder Trophy in 1976 if it wasn’t for his teammate, Bryan Trottier. Nevertheless, Resch finished second in GAA, second in shutouts by one (despite playing 18 fewer games), cracked the top 10 in wins even though he was splitting time and was named to the second all-star team.

9. Ken Dryden, Montreal Canadiens 1971-72
• Dryden won a Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1971 after playing just six NHL games prior to the playoffs. As a rookie, he led the league in wins, was fourth in GAA, second in shutouts and was named a second team all-star.

8. Glenn Hall, Detroit Red Wings 1955-56
• Hall took over for Terry Sawchuk in Detroit and didn’t disappoint. He played every minute of every game, finished second to Jacques Plante in GAA, third in wins, first in shutouts, was named a second team all-star and won the Calder Trophy.

7. Roger Crozier, Detroit Red Wings 1964-65
• The last time a goalie played every game for his team it was Crozier during his rookie season. Crozier also took over for – an older – Sawchuk and flourished. He led the league in wins by 14 and shutouts by two, finished second in GAA, was named a first team all-star and won the Calder Trophy.

6. Ron Hextall, Philadelphia Flyers 1986-87
• Hextall took the NHL by storm as a rookie with the second-overall Flyers. He led the league in games played, wins and save percentage. He also recorded six assists and 104 penalty minutes. Despite losing the Cup final in seven games to Edmonton, Hextall was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy. He was later named to the first all-star team and won the Vezina Trophy.

5. Bill Durnan, Montreal Canadiens 1943-44
• Durnan was the only NHL goalie to play every minute of every game in 1943-44. His league-leading goals-against average was .82 better than second place and he had 21 more wins than any other goalie that season. For his efforts, Durnan was named a first all-star and won the Vezina Trophy. Oh, he also won the Stanley Cup.

4. Terry Sawchuk, Detroit Red Wings 1950-51
• Sawchuk entered the NHL as the starting goalie for the defending Cup-champion Wings and played every minute of every game, compiling a 44-13-13 record. Sawchuk led the league in shutouts with 11, finished second with a 1.99 GAA and first in victories. He was named a first team all-star and rookie of the year. He missed out on the Vezina Trophy – originally awarded to the goalie allowing the fewest goals against – by a single goal.

3. Tom Barrasso, Buffalo Sabres 1983-84
• Barrasso entered the NHL right out of high school as an 18-year-old and supplanted Bob Sauve as Buffalo’s No. 1 netminder. In 42 games he went 26-12-3 with two shutouts, a 2.84 GAA and an .893 save percentage. That may not seem like a great stat line, but this was the offense-driven NHL of the early 1980s – Wayne Gretzky tallied 205 points that season. Barrasso’s GAA was second in the league, his save percentage third. He was named to the all-rookie and first all-star teams, and won the Calder and Vezina trophies.

2. Ed Belfour, Chicago Blackhawks 1990-91
• Belfour didn’t pick up the moniker ‘Eddie the Eagle’ until later in his career, but he was certainly a high flyer during his rookie season. Belfour saw action in 74 games, compiling a 43-19-7 record with four shutouts, a league-leading .910 save percentage and a 2.47 GAA. He won the Jennings, Calder and Vezina trophies, was named to the NHL’s first all-star team and the all-rookie team.

1. Tony Esposito, Chicago Black Hawks 1969-70
• What is it about Chicago rookie puck stoppers? Tony ‘O’ not only had the best rookie goaltender season the NHL has ever seen, he may have had the best rookie season in NHL history. Period. Esposito went 38-17-8 to lead the league in victories, finished with a 2.17 GAA and set a modern record that still stands with 15 shutouts. For his efforts, he won the Calder and Vezina trophies and was named a first all-star.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Sorry NBT, gotta call you on this...I don't even put Price in the top five as rookies in the history of MONTREAL!
Oh no problem, but call me on what exactly? Did I say he was top 10 or better ..in history? Maybe you could stretch out that list a little and you would see his name pop up somewhere soon, but I distinctively remember reading a bunch of articles that back me up on this, so this is not coming from me personally.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Oh no problem, but call me on what exactly? Did I say he was top 10 or better ..in history? Maybe you could stretch out that list a little and you would see his name pop up somewhere soon, but I distinctively remember reading a bunch of articles that back me up on this, so this is not coming from me personally.
It was just the implication that his numbers were 'some of the best stats in history for a young goaltender'. Although I agree that he is going to have a great year this year and rebound well, his numbers didn't put him even in the top 25 All-time for rookie goalies. We are too quick to annoint the next great goalie, but you always have to remember those Raycrofts, Careys (Jim), Theadores, Masons, Dafoes, Backstroms, Kolzigs, Turcos, Potvins, etc that had that great first year. It seems every year we have another young goalie who steals the spotlight and puts up great numbers which is great for the game, but the fact that Price wasn't even in the running for Calder and was out after the second round pushes him out of the top 25 all time.

Having said that, there is no way Montreal should ever move him for a pick this year unless it is for number 1 or 2. Prospects have proven nothing (Stefan, Daigle, Falloon anyone?) and Price has proven that he can play a substantial role as a number one goalie in the NHL.

Cheers!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If I had to guess, I'd wager the Canadiens are already hoping to send Markov to Tampa Bay at the draft in a package involving Lecavalier going the other way, while the team has not wavered in its belief that Carey Price is the team's goaltender of the future — not to mention the present.

The players available in these slots may be prospects, but they are very good ones. The bust quotient is probably not that high. Yet they will require development time, and the Canadiens are not a rebuilding club.

Where this proposal is concerned, the fit is a poor one. The Habs are probably not prepared to take the step back in the present that is inherent in giving up the pieces necessary to acquire one of these picks.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:15 AM
evilstanley

all those trade proposals are on crack

and crack kills

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If I had to guess, I'd wager the Canadiens are already hoping to send Markov to Tampa Bay at the draft in a package involving Lecavalier going the other way, while the team has not wavered in its belief that Carey Price is the team's goaltender of the future — not to mention the present.

The players available in these slots may be prospects, but they are very good ones. The bust quotient is probably not that high. Yet they will require development time, and the Canadiens are not a rebuilding club.

Where this proposal is concerned, the fit is a poor one. The Habs are probably not prepared to take the step back in the present that is inherent in giving up the pieces necessary to acquire one of these picks.
Markov is untouchable. If the Habs trade him, then they are major fools.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
MathMan

Quote:
I don't think Montreal plans on dealing Markov at all, let alone "hope to". A Markov-for-Lecavalier trade would be a net loss for Montreal anyway.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:40 AM
LeMAD

The Habs are not interested in moving up in the draft. They didn't even interview the players that should be picked in the top-10.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
blueberry

Ya ...right.

blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:14 PM
mytor4*

Quote:

Vinny for Markov + .We wouldn't trade Markov straight up for Vinny let alone add more.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Sheky Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan100 View Post
No one has laughed at 3th yet?
What in the name of Pete is a 3th?

Sheky Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
i would go for the fifth overall where we could give LA patches+18th along with a young forward
but you don't have any interesting stuff.........

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote