HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Has anyone suffered a career ending injury?

Old
06-23-2009, 10:28 PM
PuckNomad

vCash: 500
Has anyone suffered a career ending injury?

Just wondering if anyone here was an athlete, in any sport, at a pretty high level and had your career ended by an injury? If so, how did you deal with it?

10 years ago I was playing for the US Jr. National Women's hockey team and shattered my wrist. I lost multiple D-1 scholarships etc. Since I've played a bit recreationally, but nothing as intense. I was recently planning a "comeback" and planning to go up to Canada and play for the Sr. Women's league up there (I'm only 27 the term Sr. seems funny), and started having a lot of trouble with my wrist again. Went to the doctor only to find out I have torn cartilage and the break before didn't heal properly so I'm going to have to have surgery to fix it that will end any chance I have of playing again. I'm pretty bummed right now and looking for advice as to how some other people dealt with the news. I know that it's not like any of us were NHL players or anything, but it's still tough news to swallow.

PuckNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:50 PM
ekof232

vCash: 1195
I played ice hockey in Midget AAA with the Montreal Maroons, and suffered a serious case of ''unhappy triad'' while being checked by another player; lost too much strength in my left knee to continue playing.

ekof232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
I got as far as being drafted by the Oshawa Generals, few knee surgeries later and Im here talking hockey while many of my friends are in the NHL or at school on full rides.

It was crushing ending my hockey career. As long as I had ever remembered I'd described myself as a hockey player and suddenly that part of my life was over. Took me a year or so to figure out who I was and what I wanted to do in life. That was years ago now though, I'm completely over it and love where my life is at. For awhile I couldnt cheer on my friends in the WJCs or NHL out of pure envy, but now I'm their biggest fans. My draft year would have been the 03 draft, so needless to say I know an unusual amount of guys doing quite well in their careers.

All that's left now is pride for what I accomplished. I'll probably end up coaching someday because the love of the game never went away.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
I got as far as being drafted by the Oshawa Generals, few knee surgeries later and Im here talking hockey while many of my friends are in the NHL or at school on full rides.

It was crushing ending my hockey career. As long as I had ever remembered I'd described myself as a hockey player and suddenly that part of my life was over. Took me a year or so to figure out who I was and what I wanted to do in life. That was years ago now though, I'm completely over it and love where my life is at. For awhile I couldnt cheer on my friends in the WJCs or NHL out of pure envy, but now I'm their biggest fans. My draft year would have been the 03 draft, so needless to say I know an unusual amount of guys doing quite well in their careers.

All that's left now is pride for what I accomplished. I'll probably end up coaching someday because the love of the game never went away.
I feel your pain. Never felt so passionate about a game before. Who all do you know in the show?

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:35 PM
PuckNomad

Quote:

I completely understand where you're coming from. A lot of the girls I played with are enjoying successful careers with the US and Canadian National Teams, have won Gold medals etc. I also played with a lot of current NHL'ers when I was like peewee age. It was hard for me for a while when everyone was going off to their first year of college or seeing the guys I played with get drafted. Now it's kind of like reliving the situation all over again. I want to coach as well, but I think it's too fresh right now to consider coaching in the next year or two.

PuckNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydevs9 View Post
I feel your pain. Never felt so passionate about a game before. Who all do you know in the show?
Off the top of my head

Mike Richards
Corey Perry
Jeff Carter
Nathan Horton
Brent Burns
Ben Eager
Paul Ranger
Brian McGrattan
Brian Elliot
B.J. Crombeen
Daniel Carcillo
Zack Stortini
Paul Szczechura
Mark Mancari
Anthony Stewart

I'm sure there are others, but I've never really sat down and wrote them all out before. I played AAA in all three leagues around the GTA and on many stacked prospects teams, so I ended up playing with and against alot of high quality players.

Last edited by Leafidelity: 06-23-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I was born with a club foot and it didn't heal right, so my right ankle/ leg are pretty week. I can turn left on a dime, same with stopping, but if I try to turn right, especially hard, I'll fall, or it will be a huge turn, like a ****in' school bus turn.

On top of that, I was still good enough for double A hockey, but because my family wasn't rich, I was never given the opportunity to make the team, even though I tried out for it. I was the first cut, but other people who I was better than the year before and the year after made the team...

It really does suck, as I have confidence and no doubt in my mind, I could have been at least a Talbot, Upshall, Lapierre, you know, about 6'0 somewhat tough, willing to do what it takes and a bit of a **** disturber.

Oh well, now I just play road hockey and own at that ****.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Pog Form

Quote:

That's tough, man, but good on you for taking your time to find other things in life that make you happy.

Do you not play at all anymore? Are your knee(s) in such bad shape that it's simply too dangerous to play, or would it just be too deflating having to play at a lower level than where you belong?

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

I'm very sorry to hear about that honestly. That makes me feel badly about what happened to you.

If it makes you feel any better a serious knee infection from a playground scrape almost cost me my leg and I have a weaker knee to this day from it as some cartilege is just gone.

This happened when i was 10 or 11 years old and really cost me any chance of playing past highschool hockey.

hey **** happens right? take care of yourself and life is what it is. I feel badly for you though sincerely.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote