HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hindsight 20/20 Which Defenseman?

View Poll Results: Which Contracts do you Wish Montreal Signed?
Ron Hainsey - Next 5 Years / $4,500,000 3 2.68%
Francois Beauchemin - Last 5 Years / $1,650,000 71 63.39%
Sheldon Souray - Next 4 Years / $5,400,000 26 23.21%
Mark Streit - Next 4 Years / $4,100,000 55 49.11%
Craig Rivet - Next 3 years / $3,500,000 4 3.57%
None. 9 8.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

vCash: 500
Hindsight 20/20 Which Defenseman?

Hey Habs fans!

After looking around and defensemen in the league and the talk surrounding Komisarek and his upcoming UFA status, I was intrigued to see the amount of ex-Canadiens defensemen around the league with dominant roles on their teams.

Considering the amount of UFA's this year and the rebuild process taking place in Montreal, I decided to ask the faithful to vote on which contracts you would currently look back and sign to keep in Montreal? Which are the defense that you think should have stayed in Montreal?

Just a different topic to pass the time until Friday...

Cheers!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Do any of these guys replace Hamrlik for you and his $5,500,000? Do you think Komisarek will be on this list next year?

Old
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Heaters not lazt*

I think Streit, seeing the season he had in NY, easily.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Tray4Adams

Beauchemin, Souray

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
TheCH*

Streit, especially since Gainey could have signed him for 2.5M/year and didn't do it. Yeah for as much praise as the gm gets, he has made his fair share of blunders.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
redmachine54

Streit and Souray for me, though the latter is based on the general opinion of Souray (that his defensive game has improved); admittedly, I haven't followed him much since his departure.

Beauchemin would've been nice to have around, as well. A solid second pairing d-man is always nice to have; especially if he isn't getting paid $5.5 million.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Streit.

Beauchemin only became good during the cup run and win by Anaheim.

Would be nice to get him back in Montréal, but I'm not holding my breath for him, Hossa, Gaborik, Lecavalier, any big name player.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post
Streit and Souray for me, though the latter is based on the general opinion of Souray (that his defensive game has improved); admittedly, I haven't followed him much since his departure.

Beauchemin would've been nice to have around, as well. A solid second pairing d-man is always nice to have; especially if he isn't getting paid $5.5 million.
Yeah that defensive unit in Montreal would have been one of the best in the NHL:

Markov - Streit
Souray - Beauchemin
Komisarek - Hamrlik
Bouillon

Although Hamrlik would have been probably moved and Schneider would not have been brought in so replace Hamrlik with Georges and the money is the same as this year. Hamrlik and Schneider for Souray and Streit. Beauchemin instead of Dandy or Brisebois.

Old
06-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Selanne08*

Streit and Beau

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
snakeye

Streit. /thread.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
I went with Souray.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM
HockeyF3ind

Streit was ready to take 2.5 or so million for 3-5 years in the middle of his last season.....if Gainey had jumped on that instead of no negotiating he would have made a huge steal.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hate it or love it, Souray was a real leader. Maybe he didn't get along with Kovalev (who knows?), but I definitely would've wanted him to mentor our youth.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Hate it or love it, Souray was a real leader. Maybe he didn't get along with Kovalev (who knows?), but I definitely would've wanted him to mentor our youth.
Well I'm pretty sure O'Byrne has nothing to learn from Souray. He performs the cone to perfection, even better than Souray did when he was a hab.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Streit would not have been worth 4 mil playing 3rd line and PP here. You know damn well that Carbo didn't like him on defense and Markov is already playing the role that Streit had in NYI.

No way in hell Souray is worth that money. Too poor at moving the puck, struggles too much 1 on 1 defensively.

Beauchemin would not have gotten himself in order had he stayed in Hamilton. Only a trade from Comulbus was the kick in the rump he needed. If he stayed here, he's be playing in Europe or Semi pro by now.

Rivet, we could have used a guy like that last year after O'byrne struggled. But we made out like bandits on that trade.

Hainsey, much like Beauchemin, he needed a kick in the rump. He still is not worth anything close to his current pay.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Quagmier

Streit and Beauchemin for me.

Streit I would only have kept for the 2.5 he was rumored to have been asking for in December.

With his current deal there's no way he'd be a fit in Montreal.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Ginoro

Streit made this comment on his own and said that MAYBE he would have agreed to sign a 2-3 years contract @ 2 millions per season because he didn't expect to get this much money during the summer but seriously, there is not a single agent out there that would have agreed to let him sign a 2-3 years contract @ 2 millions per season in the middle of the regular season with the stats he has had the past season, unless a) His agent is ******** or b) He has no agent and he is ********...

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I'll admit I was one of the people who was glad to see Streit gone at that salary before this season started, and would now take him back in an instant for that contract.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Souray! Man, he was a fierce leader and an amazing shooter. I'd trade Hamrlik + Fischer for Souray any day of the week.

At least Souray doesn't float!

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Marksman

I smell a poll built for a purpose here.

Beauchemin will be making much more than that next year, those were his RFA years.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I voted for everything.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Miller Time

Beauchemin, assuming he's able to develop as much as he did with the Ducks, would have been a HUGE asset for us the past few seasons.

Beauchemin added to the last few years means:
playoffs in 2006
moving past the 2nd round in 2007
ability to manage the injuries to Komi/Markov much better last season, so better than 8th and a first round sweep in 2008

ok, obviously there is no way to know what impact he would have had... but there is no doubt that if he plays at a top 4 level, our d depth is much improved and goes from being somewhat of a liability to a strength.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:47 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Souray! Man, he was a fierce leader and an amazing shooter. I'd trade Hamrlik + Fischer for Souray any day of the week.

no but he does kinda spin in place a bit when forwards undress him. See Spezza, Jason.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post

No...he just stands in his own end and watches everybody skate around him and score nice goals.

Souray is a statue....or at least he was when he played in Montreal. He was a rotten defencemen and thats why we didn't overpay him to re-sign.....smart move on Gainey's part and I'm glad he's gone. We got Hamrlik instead who can give us 30 points a season and play solid defence in his own end. Great move by Gainey and anyone who disagrees with that, doesn't know what playing defence means!!!!

Streit and Beauchemin are the only 2 guys that I think we made a mistake by not re-signing them.

In Beauchemin's situation....he was lost on waivers. He wasn't ready to play in Montreal yet so we were sending him back to the AHL and Doug MacLean picked him up on waivers. Not much we could do about that.

Streit was a different issue. He didn't play much defence for the Habs in his last season, he was mostly playing upfront because he was weak on defence. He was great on the blueline on the powerplay, but 5 on 5 he wasn't strong enough to fit into our top 6 guys. I guess we should have gave him a better chance to prove himself and maybe then we would still have him scoring 50 points for us.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't really think hindsight is sensible in most of these cases...

Hainsey... I wouldn't want him back, especially not at that salary, he doesn't impress me.

Streit... on the fence there... he couldn't prove to us that he could play D, and his salary looks too high, but maybe I'm underestimating what he's doing for the Isles now

Souray... would take him back at that price, but the only problem is we basically offered that to him and he walked anyway, so what's the point in lamenting it?

Beauchemin... no regrets... out of our control, he left here and he left Columbus too as a guy who couldn't yet cut it, and good for him that he found his way as a late bloomer in Anaheim, but this isn't a case where hindsight can be applied.

Rivet... a favourite of mine in his good years, but the return we got on him in the trade is turning out to be a steal, definitely no regrets there.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote