HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Qualifying Offers

Old
06-23-2009, 11:47 PM
AdmiralsShortShifts

vCash: 500
Qualifying Offers

According to John Glennon:

"The Preds have made qualifying offers to seven of their eight potential restricted free agents -- Ryan Jones, Ryan Maki, Cal O'Reilly, Antti Pihlstrom, Kelsey Wilson, Matt Ellison and Denis Platonov."

Ellison and Platonov have both been playing in Russia. Does anyone know why they would need qualifying offers? I thought their contracts would be "frozen" if they were playing in Russia.

I assume this is strictly a procedural move just in case the players come back and sign with some other NHL team...but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

AdmiralsShortShifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
smsgtkvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsShortShifts View Post
According to John Glennon:

"The Preds have made qualifying offers to seven of their eight potential restricted free agents -- Ryan Jones, Ryan Maki, Cal O'Reilly, Antti Pihlstrom, Kelsey Wilson, Matt Ellison and Denis Platonov."

Ellison and Platonov have both been playing in Russia. Does anyone know why they would need qualifying offers? I thought their contracts would be "frozen" if they were playing in Russia.

I assume this is strictly a procedural move just in case the players come back and sign with some other NHL team...but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
Matt Ellison (2008) and Denis Platonov (2006) are Group II (restricted) free agents regardless of where they are playing. Platonov turned 27 last year so he will become a Group III (unrestricted) free agent on July 1. Ellison will turn 27 in late 2010 so he won't become an unrestricted free agent until July 1, 2011. I didn't know that teams have to give qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

smsgtkvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:26 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsgtkvv View Post
Matt Ellison (2008) and Denis Platonov (2006) are Group II (restricted) free agents regardless of where they are playing. Platonov turned 27 last year so he will become a Group III (unrestricted) free agent on July 1. Ellison will turn 27 in late 2010 so he won't become an unrestricted free agent until July 1, 2011. I didn't know that teams have to give qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
Yes, that's how teams can decide which RFAs they want to keep or release. Aaron Johnson, for example, was not tendered a QO by Columbus and was free to sign with the Islanders.

I would assume that, by qualifying Platonov, they retain his rights beyond July 1st. I know they can't do this sort of thing indefinitely, but what would be the point of qualifying him if he's just going to walk anyway?

I'd like to see Denis give NA a second chance. We don't have Arkhipov to give him a nervous breakdown this time.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 02:28 AM
caley

I guess that means Nashville is cutting ties with Tim Ramholt (the only RFA I don't see mentioned here) amidst reports he's close to signing overseas for next year?

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 02:35 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I guess that means Nashville is cutting ties with Tim Ramholt (the only RFA I don't see mentioned here) amidst reports he's close to signing overseas for next year?
Allow me to summarize our feelings about Tim Ramholt:

This is a guy who couldn't even land a steady job in the AHL. He will not be missed.

Old
06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
cjerina

Caught the blog comment this morning and was confused on the comment of "Preds didn't offer Ian McKenzie a contract"... isn't Ian still signed for 2 more years? (Or at least NHLcap is thinking the same as I am: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NAS )

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
AdmiralsShortShifts

Thanks for the correction, Chris!

That's a great spreadsheet to have. None of my research last year turned up any terms of McKenzie's deal...or even that is was an ELC. I guess I assumed a one year deal.....which was dumb.

AdmiralsShortShifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsShortShifts View Post
Thanks for the correction, Chris!

That's a great spreadsheet to have. None of my research last year turned up any terms of McKenzie's deal...or even that is was an ELC. I guess I assumed a one year deal.....which was dumb.
Yes... yes it was.