HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ushl,nahl,ejhl?

Old
10-27-2007, 04:01 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Ushl,nahl,ejhl?

I'd like to know in what order all these leagues are, talent, speed, competiton wise! I was thinking sth like this; ushl then nahl then ejhl but what leagues are inbetween. Could somebody make a ranking, that would be awesome!
Thanks

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 01:27 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
USHL is Tier I
NAHL is Tier II
EJHL is Tier III

USHL is the best out of the three. The EJHL is closing the gap on the NAHL. The EJHL and the NAHL usually have a showcase where teams from both leagues play against each other.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 11:39 AM
5mn Major

IMO...would like feedback though:

USHL/NTDP U18 (The USHL has gained on the U18 team)
BCHL/Shattuck St Mary and best midget teams
AJHL/MN High School Elite League
NAHL/NTDP U17/MJHL/OPJHL/Best US high school teams
EJHL/good high school teams

5mn Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mn Major View Post

I dunno how do you really compare?
USHL has players up to 20, is there a quota?
High School, at least in NB limits the age at 19 but some move onto CIS and Major and Jr A. MJAHL has a limit of 8-20's and 2-16's
CHL allows 3-20's and Senior Hockey Leagues (amateur) have an 18 birth year as the minimum age.
NB Junior C hockey league has no limits on 20's. But some still move onto CIS and JrA
EJHL and AJHL have a good record of moving players to NCAA is it low end hockey or do players just want to stay close to home?
I know all of that adds nothing to how you rank leagues. But my point is it's too varied and age rules are different.
I follow MJAHL which most will say is low end. But every year there's more than 2 dozen grads playing CIS and a half dozen in NCAA. Plus those that move onto the Q and 19 , 20 year olds from the Q who've decided pro isn't for them and now attend University or College full-time. In one AUS game this year my local Beavers had 4 guys from the 2006-07 team on the ice at the same time. During a UdeM/St Thomas game.
What is the standard used to rate leagues?
How do we say "my league" is better than yours?
I think USHL is the top in the States and the rest you can just bunch together.
Also the systems are too different to compare Canadian Major Jr, Jr A, B, C to US TIER ONE, TWO, THREE

Last edited by Alpine: 10-28-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 10:50 AM
ShowmeHawks

I think the first ranking had it right.

USHL
NAHL
EJHL

The Central States League isn't bad either.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
5mn Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I dunno how do you really compare?
How does one compare prospects? Its just done.

And frankly, understanding relative league strengths is both easier than comparing prospects (if done less frequently) and extremely useful for evaluating prospects themselves.

For starters, one can begin to compare the USHL, NAHL and EJHL...and along with them the NTDP U18 and U17 teams who play them frequently. Next, many frequently compare the BCHL, AJHL, MJHL, OPJHL and the likes. For comparable leagues like those in Canada, you can use Heisenberg's recruitment guide...showing what the top experts in terms of NCAA recruiters think.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...LEtZ3kFg&gid=0

Lastly, you can compare SSM, other midget teams, the high school elite league and high school teams as they play each other frequently enough.

Old
10-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Alpine

Quote:
How does one compare prospects? Its just done.

And frankly, understanding relative league strengths is both easier than comparing prospects (if done less frequently) and extremely useful for evaluating prospects themselves.

For starters, one can begin to compare the USHL, NAHL and EJHL...and along with them the NTDP U18 and U17 teams who play them frequently. Next, many frequently compare the BCHL, AJHL, MJHL, OPJHL and the likes. For comparable leagues like those in Canada, you can use Heisenberg's recruitment guide...showing what the top experts in terms of NCAA recruiters think.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...LEtZ3kFg&gid=0

Lastly, you can compare SSM, other midget teams, the high school elite league and high school teams as they play each other frequently enough.
Okay, then why do you ask?
I think outside of USHL and CHL it's a hodge podge.
EJHL and AJHL are severely under-rated.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 04:25 PM
5mn Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Okay, then why do you ask?
I think outside of USHL and CHL it's a hodge podge.
EJHL and AJHL are severely under-rated.
Because, I was giving my opinion and looking for others opinions. Frankly, I think the topic is extremely important in determining prospects but that gets very little ink on this board.

Old
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
njcoach

here we go..

The USHL is tops....

The top NAHL teams and the top EJHL teams are very close. I think NAHL is deeper overall.

EJHL is catching the NAHL league by taking kids who would normally go to New England prep schools.

your top Midget programs go right here.....and can compete with the mid-tier NAHL and EJHL teams.....

Empire and central leagues follow

Atlantic so called jr.a league(ajhl)

njcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 09:52 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoach View Post
The USHL is tops....

The top NAHL teams and the top EJHL teams are very close. I think NAHL is deeper overall.

EJHL is catching the NAHL league by taking kids who would normally go to New England prep schools.

your top Midget programs go right here.....and can compete with the mid-tier NAHL and EJHL teams.....

Empire and central leagues follow

Atlantic so called jr.a league(ajhl)
You really think the Empire League is better then the Atlantic? I know the Atlantic isn't as strong the EJHL but the Portland Junior Pirates defeated the Junior Bruins this past weekend.

Atlantic has had some decent players the past few years. TJ Brennan (St. John's QMJHL), Tony Romano (Cornell University/London Knights OHL), Kelen Corkum (NDTP), Mark Anthoine (Chicago Steel USHL), Nick Bonino (BU), Stephen Schultz (Colorado College), James Marcou (U-Mass Amherst), and Patrick Cullen (Indian Ice USHL).

Old
11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Honu

Bonino was a split-season player in the AJHL, and Kelen Corkum only played in the MET (The AJ's B League).

If you're talking as far as college commitments go: USHL (huge gap) NAHL (small gap, sometimes rotates) EJHL (astronomical gap) AJHL.

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
5mn Major

Quote:

Thanks for the discussion. My AJHL was of the Alberta version...not Atlantic.

Old
11-16-2007, 02:20 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Bonino was a split-season player in the AJHL, and Kelen Corkum only played in the MET (The AJ's B League).

If you're talking as far as college commitments go: USHL (huge gap) NAHL (small gap, sometimes rotates) EJHL (astronomical gap) AJHL.
I didn't think Corkum played in the Atlantic league but I checked the college commitment page on the AJHL website and it listed him on there so I thought he played in the A. But after u mentioned it I think it by college commitments in the individual organizations.

Old
11-16-2007, 03:44 PM
njcoach

hmmm

Just because one team beats another doesn't mean the whole league is better---I think for young players the empire league is better then the ajhl....the ajhl had it's run 2 years ago with good players---they don't have that firepower this year--then again the ejhl is down this year also..

njcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 11:50 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoach View Post
Just because one team beats another doesn't mean the whole league is better---I think for young players the empire league is better then the ajhl....the ajhl had it's run 2 years ago with good players---they don't have that firepower this year--then again the ejhl is down this year also..
I never said the AJHL was better then the EJHL... Sure the Empire probably has the better long term prospects but I believe the AJHL would defeat the Empire.

Old
11-17-2007, 09:50 AM
VOB

Caught my first NAHL game a week ago and every year I am shocked to see how far the talent in that league has fallen.

Ten years ago there was very little difference between the top two lines and top 4 Dmen in the NAHL and USHL. The USHL advantage lay soley with depth as they had the better 12 through 20 players. A good NAHL team could easily knock off an average USHL team, however.

Today, while there are still good players in the NAHL, few if any teams could match up to the USHL. The NAHL's top players could certainly play in the USHL but those players are few and far between.

The gap between the two leagues is very wide right now.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 01:26 PM
pavel12345

ok im confused. when u guys say ajhl do u mean alberta or atlantic? and when u say ejhl do u mean eastern or empire? if u guys mean empire and atlantic, why are u comparing a junior a league to a junior b league?

pavel12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

ajhl means atlantic

Old
11-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Honu

In the US, AJHL means "Atlantic." EJHL means "Eastern." The Empire Junior Hockey League is either referred to as "EmJHL" or "Empire."

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:41 AM
devsfan4life

Whats the age limit to play in the ejhl? 20?

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Redfox77

Top Met league teams are stronger then top Empire

Redfox77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 04:56 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan4life View Post
Whats the age limit to play in the ejhl? 20?
Wow, you certainly bumped this thread out of obscurity! The age limit isn't actually built around an "age", it's built around a birthyear. Anybody born in 1989 or later is eligible to play next season.

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Another thing being missed here in regards to the USHL and especially the NTDP - these kids have to come from somewhere. Case and point, many of the top MN HS programs, including Shattuck's, have had many of their top players move on to either the USHL or the NTDP (both now meshed under the USHL umbrella).

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Redfox77

Check this out...2009 ANNUAL CONGRESS REPORT Break down of junior teams is as follows: Tier- I, 12 Teams, Tier- I I, 19 Teams, Tier- III A, 72 Teams, Tier- III B, 59 (increase)Teams, Tier- III C, 23 Teams and Tier- III D, (Independent) six Teams and Major Junior (Canadian Hockey League) nine Teams for a grand total of 189 USA Hockey Registered Teams.

NCAA Placements2008-09 D-III Placements: EJHL-65, AJHL-62, MetJHL-57, NAHL-46, CSHL-31, EmJHL-28, WSHL-23, MnJHL-20, CHA-12, USHL-12.

2008-09 D-I Placements: USHL-134, EJHL-56, NAHL-47, MetJHL-12, CSHL-9, AJHL-8, EmJHL-6, MnJHL-3

NHL: 2008 NHL Drafts ; USHL-27, EmJHL-4, NAHL-2, EJHL-1, AJHL-12008 NHL Player Signings; USHL-27, EJHL-5, CSHL-1, AJHL-1, EmJHL-1

Redfox77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

1)ushl
2)nahl
3)ejhl

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote