HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brisebois signed in Switzerland

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Trudel

vCash: 500
Brisebois signed in Switzerland

Brisebois signed a contract with Kloten of the swiss league.

Old
10-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudel
Brisebois signed a contract with Kloten of the swiss league.

if they want they can have him for the full season or even have him retire there

Old
10-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Firthbird
#Drivefor25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
if they want they can have him for the full season or even have him retire there
Actually, I want him back. He had a very good year last year, and played well. The reason for it of course was that the pressure was off of him to be the #1 D-man.

Old
10-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Good news i guess. Not a big breezy fan either, but atleast he will stay in game shape for next season, if thier is a next season that is.........

Old
10-13-2004, 11:33 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
:mad:

Old
10-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
No way, I want him back in the league so we can play against him next year. It would be great to see him letting Higgins walk all around the net unimpeded, to see him hand the puck over constantly to Kostitsyn, to see Koivu walk around him, etc. Hopefully he makes friends with Joe Thornton over there, and comes back and signs with Boston after we cut him loose.

Old
10-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird
Actually, I want him back. He had a very good year last year, and played well. The reason for it of course was that the pressure was off of him to be the #1 D-man.
He really hasn't had the pressure of number one dman in about 2 years. 2 years ago it was Markov and Rivet, last year it was Souray or Markov. He played like crap for one year and okay/good last year which is very similiar to his career. IMO his track record suggest it has little to do with whether he is a number one or number six, he has been good one year horrible the next for the majority of his career no matter how he was used.

Old
10-13-2004, 12:12 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Good news is the flights from Switzerland to Paris are quite short, so he can go there for weekend breaks. Heard he liked to do that at times during the season.

Kidding aside, good to see him keeping busy. It will be interesting to see what Bob does with that fat contract next season once the $1M buyout clause kicks in.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:12 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I feel sorry for the poor plug who has to give up his spot on the team so another overpaid NHLer can play.

Old
10-13-2004, 01:21 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Am I the only one that finds these snide remarks not the least bit comical.

yeah yeah, we get it, some people still hate him, no matter if he gives the puck away or rescues a drowning baby from a creek...

For the love of god, give him a break already.

Old
10-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Fan

Hopefully he does not find it too stressfull playing in the Swiss Cheese league.

Maybe the bum will retire there,here's to hoping.

Old
10-13-2004, 02:34 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
Am I the only one that finds these snide remarks not the least bit comical.

yeah yeah, we get it, some people still hate him, no matter if he gives the puck away or rescues a drowning baby from a creek...

For the love of god, give him a break already.
It's not so much about hating him, because I personally have no grounds on which to hate Patrice as a person, or even as a player. In fact, all reports indicate he is a very nice person. He is a player on my favourite team; therefore, I will always cheer for his best success. After all, his success should naturally translate into the team's success. Kudos for Patrice finding a competitive league in which to keep in shape and keep his game at a top level.

The fact still remains that he is a 33 year old on the downward slope of his career who is earning $4M/year on a team in transition. I look at that $4M contract in terms of opportunity cost as well as what it currently costs the team versus the team's return. Here is a player that seems to underperform in the spotlight or in the top defensive pairing, yet he is paid at the level of a defenceman who is expected to do just that.

Can management do anything about that fact right now? NO. Can management do anything about that once his buy-out option kicks in after this season (or non-season)? Absolutely, and that will be interesting to see how they approach next season. The net savings after buy-out clause is $3M, so it will be an interesting time in a likely much more fiscally prudent and conservative environment (either ends of the salary cap-revenue sharing spectrum will drive that home) in which management may be tempted to cut a CH lifer like Breezer loose to invest in a, or some, younger talent(s) that will pay bigger dividends down the road...or to invest in a free agent who will plug an important gap in the lineup.

Old
10-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
It's not so much about hating him, because I personally have no grounds on which to hate Patrice as a person, or even as a player. In fact, all reports indicate he is a very nice person. He is a player on my favourite team; therefore, I will always cheer for his best success. After all, his success should naturally translate into the team's success. Kudos for Patrice finding a competitive league in which to keep in shape and keep his game at a top level.

The fact still remains that he is a 33 year old on the downward slope of his career who is earning $4M/year on a team in transition. I look at that $4M contract in terms of opportunity cost as well as what it currently costs the team versus the team's return. Here is a player that seems to underperform in the spotlight or in the top defensive pairing, yet he is paid at the level of a defenceman who is expected to do just that.

Can management do anything about that fact right now? NO. Can management do anything about that once his buy-out option kicks in after this season (or non-season)? Absolutely, and that will be interesting to see how they approach next season. The net savings after buy-out clause is $3M, so it will be an interesting time in a likely much more fiscally prudent and conservative environment (either ends of the salary cap-revenue sharing spectrum will drive that home) in which management may be tempted to cut a CH lifer like Breezer loose to invest in a, or some, younger talent(s) that will pay bigger dividends down the road...or to invest in a free agent who will plug an important gap in the lineup.

Or even to re-sign Patrice to a more "reasonable" contract.

Good post, NWT Habs fan, that's pretty much how I feel about Brisebois too. And it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old
10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Or even to re-sign Patrice to a more "reasonable" contract.
Good point. A few years ago I wouldn't even have considered this option as being possible, but now with current management's track record on the Kilger, Sundstrom and Hainsey re-signings, it is clearly a very viable option.

Old
10-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

To be honest, I don't think there is any possible contract reasonable enough to make me want to re-sign him. If there is hockey next year with NHL players, the financial landscape will be totally changed. Practically half the league will be free agents. However, Markov, Rivet, Komi, Souray, and Hainsey won't be free agents. So if we have 5 D already, I'm willing to bet that with half the league scrambling for a new contract under some tight economic restrictions, we can definitely, definitely find a better player than Brisebois to add. And that holds whether you like Brisebois as a decent puck-moving softish #2 guy or a shaky #5 or anything in between. I take it as a given that Brisebois is a goner, and if he isn't, then it's going to be a sadly missed opportunity for us as Habs fans, whether we're Brisebois supporters or not.

Old
10-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan

The fact still remains that he is a 33 year old on the downward slope of his career who is earning $4M/year on a team in transition. I look at that $4M contract in
I don;t know if he's on a downward slope yet. Defense is a funny position to predict whether a player is on a downward slope just on age alone.

No doubt that Bribebois makes more money than he should but he isn't going anywhere with that salary.

I actually liked brisebois last year and I thought he was an asset more than a detriment to the club.

I think Bob Gainey's support last year helped patrice out a great deal as previous managers have never stood up for him as boldly as Gainey did.

Or maybe this is just a pattern of his good year/bad year career. I hope not.

And besides all that, I just like patrice for the fact that he is the only member left from the 93 habs.... so I have some persoanl bias..... I know that doesn't mean anything but still....

Old
10-13-2004, 11:33 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I don;t know if he's on a downward slope yet. Defense is a funny position to predict whether a player is on a downward slope just on age alone.

No doubt that Bribebois makes more money than he should but he isn't going anywhere with that salary.

I actually liked brisebois last year and I thought he was an asset more than a detriment to the club.

I think Bob Gainey's support last year helped patrice out a great deal as previous managers have never stood up for him as boldly as Gainey did.

Or maybe this is just a pattern of his good year/bad year career. I hope not.

And besides all that, I just like patrice for the fact that he is the only member left from the 93 habs.... so I have some persoanl bias..... I know that doesn't mean anything but still....
I agree, I still remember exactly where I was watching the '93 cup win (and I have watched a few over the days, but that one was special for lots of reasons).

I like what Breezer did for us last season and much of the credit goes to the GM for taking a strong stance and really re-establishing Breezer's confidence in his game (he knew management supported him and he played up to that standard once again). I just wonder if that price tag on his value and return to the team is going to wash given what should be a much more fiscally conservative league post-CBA resolution. Is a 34 year old Breezer worth $4M is or he worth the net $3M in the new free agency market...whatever that means under the new CBA? I am not slagging the guy, but just wondering if management is also at least asking the same questions.

Until then, he is one of the few that has worn no other NHL jersey other than the CH...love him or hate him, you have to respect that!!

Closed Thread