HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton S5

Old
06-24-2009, 07:50 AM
NYR89

vCash: 500
Easton S5

I was thinking about picking one up. It'll end up being around 90$ with tax. I only play once a week so do you guys think it's worth it for me? It's 100 flex and I'm about 5'6 180 so I'll need to cut it down quite a bit...

Thanks for the help!

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:31 AM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Cutting down the stick will only make the flex higher. (Or is that what you want?) It's a nice stick for the price, and it should do you fine for only playing once a week. However, there have been some durability complaints with Easton sticks in the blade.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:49 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

You should not be using a 100 flex stick. By the time you cut that sucker, you're looking at around 120 flex.

You should probalby be looking at a 75 flex senior, which will be around an 85 flex by the time you cut it down.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
dirtydevs9

Depends on if hes on the stronger side or not. If you're muscular, go with an 87 flex senior and cut it from there. It also depends on how much you want to cut off..

Old
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
NYR89

I cut the sticks to below my chin, so I chop off a couple of inches. In all honesty I've never really learned how the flexes work, and I always bought 100 flex because I used to way about 230. I've slimmed down since then to 180 but I still have 100 flex sticks because that's what I used to use. So yall think I'd be better off trying a 75-85 flex instead of a 100?

Old
06-24-2009, 03:07 PM
dirtydevs9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
I cut the sticks to below my chin, so I chop off a couple of inches. In all honesty I've never really learned how the flexes work, and I always bought 100 flex because I used to way about 230. I've slimmed down since then to 180 but I still have 100 flex sticks because that's what I used to use. So yall think I'd be better off trying a 75-85 flex instead of a 100?
1. What type of player are you?
2. Do you take more wristshots than anything or do you have a good control of all shots?
3. From a standard 60" senior stick, how much do you cut off?

The general rule of thumb about flex is that it should be about half your body weight, give or take some.

Old
06-24-2009, 03:17 PM
NYR89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydevs9 View Post
1. What type of player are you?
2. Do you take more wristshots than anything or do you have a good control of all shots?
3. From a standard 60" senior stick, how much do you cut off?

The general rule of thumb about flex is that it should be about half your body weight, give or take some.
1. I'd say a grinder type with a little bit of dangles, playmaking ability
2. I ONLY use wristers, with an occasional snap shot. I never use a big slapper. Ever.
3. I cut off about 2-4 inches

Old
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
dirtydevs9

Quote:
1. I'd say a grinder type with a little bit of dangles, playmaking ability
2. I ONLY use wristers, with an occasional snap shot. I never use a big slapper. Ever.
3. I cut off about 2-4 inches
Well then I suggest an 87 flex on a count of you only take wristers and your bodyweight...you should get a 75 flex and cut it from there. You will probably end up with higher than the 87...but it should be fine.
Good Luck

Old
06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
You lost 50 lbs? Damn man, what diet were you on?

I agree with everyone else. At your height and weight you should buy less than 100 flex and cut it down.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZherdev View Post
You lost 50 lbs? Damn man, what diet were you on?

I agree with everyone else. At your height and weight you should buy less than 100 flex and cut it down.
I lost 40 lbs it literally wasn't overly very difficult. Some sacrifice was all that was needed. I cut out almost all beef and pork and replaced it with chicken usually baked. I cut out pasta but kept eating other carb stuff like some rice once in a while maybe some mashed potatoes etc with less butter or margarine than I used to eat.

No cookies, no chips, no more of one of my faves which was salsa on nacho chips with melted cheese on top. I cut out any soda and drink just juice with no sugar added. No more ice cream by the half gallon lolz. I used to eat a whole half gallon while watching a movie sometimes, that was just lame assed stupidity on my part.

lets see ... I also drink one slimfast shake for breakfast and it holds me until lunch time. I did not reduce how much I ate for the most part (I did stop eating breakfast and have the slimfast shake instead) I just replaced the garbage with better foods like apples and bananas instead of cookies and milk or chips. The slimfast shake is very high in vitamin content.

Keep in mind it takes a long time to get fat and it takes a long time to lose it. I started my diet change around Thanksgiving (USA Thanksgiving) and balanced my weight off at the end of March or half way through April I forget now.

But basically I eat the same way all the time and after a while I stopped losing weight when I got to my natural weight I should be which is 230-232lbs.

I obviously started playing ice hockey more as well during this period going from playing once a week to 3 times a week or more sometimes.

I feel better than I have in years and also my bloodpressure which runs high in my family is a normal 120 over 70 most of the time when I check it. Being 40+ years old that is very important to me as it was borderline high before I lost the weight and got more exercise.

So basically losing weight isn't a free ride, you have to make changes to do it and not buy diet pills. people who buy weight loss pills are dopes following false for short span results and promises that won't last.

There is no magic way to lose weight other than smartening the frig up and doing what needs to be done the right way. It took me about 4 months to lose 40 lbs.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
NYR89

I lost it all once I graduated High School . Mostly I just stopped being lazy and tried to watch what I ate. I cut out fast food and soda completely. Also I stopped eating late and night and ate 3 regular meals. I didn't necessarily eat less, but I ate less of unhealthy food. I would let myself cheat a little if I felt I got enough exercise that day.