Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2009, 12:49 AM
teme

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
Havlat would work in this system
Yes. Other cheaper, more realistic signing: Kovalev. It was years ago, but I've seen him play with Kovy (national team) and it worked really well.

Old
06-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Yes. Other cheaper, more realistic signing: Kovalev. It was years ago, but I've seen him play with Kovy (national team) and it worked really well.
It seems like he'll be getting over 5 million from the Habs.

Havlat and Kovy are both longshots, unless you overpay to the point where it makes no sense.

Kovalchuk doesn't need star players surrounding him. Just players who make room for him to play his game and let him get the job done. In a way he's like Jagr - not the ********* primadonna way, but the large-ego-acting-as-a-motivator-way. Jagr could destroy anyone if he's the "it-guy" on the team. Same with Kovalchuk. Only difference is that Kovalchuk is far more loyal to his team and far less selfish. All the star players he needs to compliment him are gonna come from within.

Old
06-09-2009, 05:41 AM
jbreiner

I wonder if Sergei Zinovjev (sp) could be had. He would most likely still have some chemistry with Kovalchuk. Camalleri is also someone I would look at. I wouldnt mind us taking a chance on a player now over in Europe to try and bring them back. Someone like Chistov is who I have in mind. A player like that would take attention off Kovalchuk somewhat.

Old
06-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Kovalchuk is one of those players who can develop chemistry with a nobody or be burdened by an all star on the same line.
Interestingly enough, people have been saying that since before Savard was in Atlanta. Until the second half of this past year it's never been true. And he's been played with every scrub and tweener DW could muster. I have strong reservations about Peverly playing as well next year as he did this past season.

It's interesting that you say that Cammy has "turned Iginla into a setup man". First of all Iginla's numbers aren't much different than his usual numbers other than the fact that he got more assists than goals for the 3rd time this century. Whereas Cammalleri seems to have been able to eke out more assists than goals every year of his career. Maybe Iginla has become a more complete player when all the weight wasn't on his shoulders to score every time he got the puck. I bet he loved having someone on his line that could score more than 20 goals.

Old
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Boognish

Quote:
And that's how you sell your soul to Cap Hell Devil.

If Cammalleri is signed by Atlanta for 7 million+ to fill a more or less phantom need, do you really expect to be able to sign Kovalchuk for under 10 million a year?
Scoring and a guy who can play W or C on the top scoring line is a phantom need? Do you even watch this team? Kovalchuck needs someone who can create space. Someone who will draw attention fromt he fact that he is the only guy on the ice for the Thrashers who can score from anywhere on the ice. When did "Atlanta Thrashers" and "Too much scoring" or "solid first line combination" last get mentioned in the same sentence?

And don't worry about Kovalchuck becoming a perimeter guy and squandering his talent. He's done ok on the PP over the last 3 or 4 years.

Old
06-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Interestingly enough, people have been saying that since before Savard was in Atlanta. Until the second half of this past year it's never been true. And he's been played with every scrub and tweener DW could muster. I have strong reservations about Peverly playing as well next year as he did this past season.

It's interesting that you say that Cammy has "turned Iginla into a setup man". First of all Iginla's numbers aren't much different than his usual numbers other than the fact that he got more assists than goals for the 3rd time this century. Whereas Cammalleri seems to have been able to eke out more assists than goals every year of his career. Maybe Iginla has become a more complete player when all the weight wasn't on his shoulders to score every time he got the puck. I bet he loved having someone on his line that could score more than 20 goals.
Did you watch the Flames this year? Iginla's play all around regressed, much of it due to their breakout putting him in the role of a perimeter player to accomodate for Cammalleri. There's no way anyone watching could mistake that for him becoming a complete player.

Atlanta needs defense much more than in needs scoring. Kovalchuk is good for 45-50 goals, Little for 30 goals, Kozlov + White for 45 goals (each for 20 or more), Armstrong for 20 goals. Not the best offense in the league but hardly anemic. Yeah, obviously they need to upgrade his line, but blindly overpaying for someone coming off a career year isn't the way to do it.

Last edited by Alex28*: 06-10-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Scoring and a guy who can play W or C on the top scoring line is a phantom need? Do you even watch this team? Kovalchuck needs someone who can create space. Someone who will draw attention fromt he fact that he is the only guy on the ice for the Thrashers who can score from anywhere on the ice. When did "Atlanta Thrashers" and "Too much scoring" or "solid first line combination" last get mentioned in the same sentence?

And don't worry about Kovalchuck becoming a perimeter guy and squandering his talent. He's done ok on the PP over the last 3 or 4 years.
Solid 1st line doesn't mean they have to go after every high-profile guy on the market. Obviously they need to do better than Thorburn and Reasoner. There's more to creating space than just putting another all star on a line. Look at how Kunitz creates space for Crosby or Talbot creates space for Malkin, or Burrows creates space for the Sedins. You can put someone like Kotalik on the wing and it would already be a huge upgrade. Yeah, he'd probably average out to 10 goals/20 points less than Cammalleri, but he'd also come about 3 million cheaper. And if that money is spent on someone like Beauchemin or Komisarek, the team gets much better than with just Cammalleri, who's as one dimensional as they come and would most likely be a burden at over 5 million.

Kovalchuk has always been able to create, at a more or less consistent pace, with anyone. Just put him with solid top 6 players who can play a disciplined game that accounts for his style and he's set.

How can you even argue that it's a bigger need than defense?

If you overpay for marginal players coming off of career years you'll end up like the Rangers. Only without Lundqvist to bail them out.

Old
06-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Selanne08*

i was thinking Havlat for the second line.

Kinda like Ovie - Semin on wash.

Old
06-11-2009, 07:09 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
The only thing I do not like about this idea, we would have a pretty soft Top 6. I would be surprised if Montreal lets him get to UFA status though.

Old
06-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Did you watch the Flames this year? Iginla's play all around regressed, much of it due to their breakout putting him in the role of a perimeter player to accomodate for Cammalleri. There's no way anyone watching could mistake that for him becoming a complete player.
Iginla is what, 32? He's not going to play like he's 25 all his life. And to claim that the Flames altered the play of their best player to suit a transient bum like Cammalleri is a little extreme, don't you think?

Quote:
Atlanta needs defense much more than in needs scoring. Kovalchuk is good for 45-50 goals, Little for 30 goals, Kozlov + White for 45 goals (each for 20 or more), Armstrong for 20 goals. Not the best offense in the league but hardly anemic. Yeah, obviously they need to upgrade his line, but blindly overpaying for someone coming off a career year isn't the way to do it.
That's a pretty optimistic outlook. I'd love for those players to get those numbers again, but I'm not seeing it with the team they are on now.

Old
06-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Savard.

Unfortunately, Boston will not give him up.

Old
06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
ArVeeDee

I just don't see Gaborik, Havlat, Cammalleri happening. Nik Antropov seems realistic to me. Provided we overpay a tad.

Old
06-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Stevoinga

Would Ian Laperriere help?

He is not going to re-sign with the Avs

Old
06-14-2009, 09:26 AM
fatschoonerrat

I like the Kotalik argument if we could still have enough $$ left for a good solid D.

Old
06-14-2009, 09:52 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
I just don't see Gaborik, Havlat, Cammalleri happening. Nik Antropov seems realistic to me. Provided we overpay a tad.
I wouldn't mind overpaying a little for Antropov. I think Gaborik is more realistic than people think, but having said that, I somehow don't think he'll appear in Thrashers Blue™ this coming season.

Old
06-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
The problem with Gomez AND Kovalchuk is that it eats too much of the salary budget.
Do they not have tons of cap space?

what salary could come back for Gomez

would Kozlov waive his No Trade?. White and Exelby Perhaps?

Old
06-14-2009, 01:07 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Do they not have tons of cap space?

what salary could come back for Gomez

would Kozlov waive his No Trade?. White and Exelby Perhaps?
Yes, but they also have an internal budget. We're likely to spend 46M again this year.

We don't particularly have a lot of salary to send in return. White and Exelby could work, but White has already shown he can work well for this team and in particular, Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk doesn't work with everybody, and I think Gomez is the one the guys that wouldn't work out.

Kozlov is unwilling to waive his NTC. He's already said it multiple times.

Last edited by blankspace6: 06-14-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old
06-16-2009, 01:55 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Havlat will not play for the Thrashers he wants to be in a top hockey market and will re-sign with Chicago.

Kotalik is horrible we dont need anymore 3rd/4th liners.

Antropov is a 2nd liner at best and yet on our team he would be a 3rd liner because White and Peverley are both better.

Old
06-24-2009, 02:03 PM
odgersfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Havlat will not play for the Thrashers he wants to be in a top hockey market and will re-sign with Chicago.

Kotalik is horrible we dont need anymore 3rd/4th liners.

Antropov is a 2nd liner at best and yet on our team he would be a 3rd liner because White and Peverley are both better.
All we need is a 2nd liner. I think Antropov would be a great fit playing opposite of Kozlov. Kozzy has an underrated shot, and I think a large, gritty player like Antropov or Knuble would work great on his line.

I would be very comfortable with a top 6 of

Kovalchuk-White-Little
Kozlov-Pevely-Knuble/Antropov

Keep in mind, the Thrash were in the top 10 in the league in scoring last year. A big $ free agent who will score 30+ goals is not necessarily a good fit.

Old
06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Sabreality

i'm a big Steve Sullivan fan, he successfully came back from his back issues and ened up being a PPG player for the Preds....again. A 2yr/$6mil deal could work out great, not only is he a great PP/PK guy, but he doesnt disappear 5 on 5.

not the biggest splash, buyt the guy puts up points, provides character and leadership and wouldnt break the bank

Old
06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
i'm a big Steve Sullivan fan, he successfully came back from his back issues and ened up being a PPG player for the Preds....again. A 2yr/$6mil deal could work out great, not only is he a great PP/PK guy, but he doesnt disappear 5 on 5.

not the biggest splash, buyt the guy puts up points, provides character and leadership and wouldnt break the bank
This is exactly what they need. ATL can't afford to throw ridiculous money at the biggest names on the market.

Old
06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
odgersfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
This is exactly what they need. ATL can't afford to throw ridiculous money at the biggest names on the market.
I like the thought, but personally I don't think Sullivan is a good fit on this team. Steve is not really the type of player that would work well playing opposite of Kovalchuk or Kozlov.

While I would love Sullivan's speed and play-making ability, he simply doesn't have the size.

A potential Kozlov-White-Sullivan line would be GREATLY undersized.

Old
06-26-2009, 08:32 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by odgersfan83 View Post
I like the thought, but personally I don't think Sullivan is a good fit on this team. Steve is not really the type of player that would work well playing opposite of Kovalchuk or Kozlov.

While I would love Sullivan's speed and play-making ability, he simply doesn't have the size.

A potential Kozlov-White-Sullivan line would be GREATLY undersized.
I'm not specifically endorsing the signing of steve sullivan (granted, I do like him as a player), but more endorsing the idea of signing players who have less name recognition, but by all means are respected and good players. We don't need a bunch of big names to win, we need a solid group of guys who can be coached to work together in a system.

Closed Thread