HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi on HNIC Radio (6/23/09)

Old
06-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't know. I get the feeling that Drewiske has a job that is his to lose, at least as the #7.
I can see that too.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
funky

I would rather keep Johnson. He may just break out, and his stock cant fall much farther then it is now.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:38 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't know. I get the feeling that Drewiske has a job that is his to lose, at least as the #7.
Based upon what DL said to Dancing Boy, I think you are correct.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
KGpens

I know you guys bust DL's chops at times, but I think he is a great GM. Sure he is rather high on himself, but the dude knows what he's doing..You're in good hands. As we say in Pens land "In Shero we trust." IN DL YOU SHOULD TRUST = )

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Pretty much a carbon copy of every other Dean Lombardi interview.....blah blah...fiscal responsibility....blah blah....we are building for the future.....blah blah....is anyone listening to me anymore?
Yes.

I love all these King fans that just want him to spend to get a player or two yet they don't look to the future when there won't be enough money to sign the young kids.

DL is doing something that has never happened in LA. He's building a team so it will be good for years and years. Just look at what Detroit was like before Holland took over. You have to have a foundation or you will fall right on you ass.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Dean Lombardi: "Character is not what you say, its what you do."

Put that quote up on the board and keep it for a few years, and if we don't see some playoff success by then, pull it down and ask him about it.
I didn't even catch that......awesome powers of observation there DIEHARD.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
Yes.

I love all these King fans that just want him to spend to get a player or two yet they don't look to the future when there won't be enough money to sign the young kids.

DL is doing something that has never happened in LA. He's building a team so it will be good for years and years. Just look at what Detroit was like before Holland took over. You have to have a foundation or you will fall right on you ass.
Yet all of the successful teams spend the money on players now and still manage to find the money to pay their young players later as well.....How do they do that?

Old
06-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Yet all of the successful teams spend the money on players now and still manage to find the money to pay their young players later as well.....How do they do that?
I don't know about that. You saw the transition Pittsburgh went through from 2008 to 2009. They kept their core intact but on paper it appeared as though they downgraded their wingers when they went from Hossa, Malone and Ruutu to Satan, Fedotenko and Cooke.

They couldn't afford to retain Malone, and Malone did want to remain in Pittsburgh but the contract offers he was to get priced him out. That is a big piece they lost for nothing, but Pittsburgh had the depth to move on.

Satan turned out to be a bust and hardly made a contribution. Fedotenko turned out to pay off. So Pittsburgh hardly made a big splash in free agency and their biggest acquisition was Bill Guerin, a 38 year old winger who had a reputation of not stepping up in the playoffs.

What made the Penguins better was Malkin, Talbot, Kennedy and Staal stepping up their game. That's what we need to see from the Kings' core group.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:21 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGpens View Post
I know you guys bust DL's chops at times, but I think he is a great GM. Sure he is rather high on himself, but the dude knows what he's doing..You're in good hands. As we say in Pens land "In Shero we trust." IN DL YOU SHOULD TRUST = )

im a firm believer in DL's vision, so you're not alone

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'm very curious to see how Chicago is going to overhaul when its time for Kane and Toews to get their BIG raises.

I'm confident they will retain both, but there will most likely have to be some massive turnover that year I imagine. Kind of what Pittsburgh had to do this last year. A big change in the roster can go either way though and will really test the strength of what Chicago has built and give us a better idea of how to manage that day when it comes for the Kings.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I don't know about that. You saw the transition Pittsburgh went through from 2008 to 2009. They kept their core intact but on paper it appeared as though they downgraded their wingers when they went from Hossa, Malone and Ruutu to Satan, Fedotenko and Cooke.

They couldn't afford to retain Malone, and Malone did want to remain in Pittsburgh but the contract offers he was to get priced him out. That is a big piece they lost for nothing, but Pittsburgh had the depth to move on.

Satan turned out to be a bust and hardly made a contribution. Fedotenko turned out to pay off. So Pittsburgh hardly made a big splash in free agency and their biggest acquisition was Bill Guerin, a 38 year old winger who had a reputation of not stepping up in the playoffs.

What made the Penguins better was Malkin, Talbot, Kennedy and Staal stepping up their game. That's what we need to see from the Kings' core group.
First of all the Penguins could have kept Hossa...but he chose Detroit because he thought they had a better chance to win it all.

They could have matched what Malone made in Tampa....but they felt he was not a vital piece of the team and did not want to commit on a 7 year deal.

As for Jarkko Ruutu.....he is easily replaceable....devoting $1.3 million to him was a matter of choice not because Shero was forced to let him go.

Old
06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
DL is doing something that has never happened in LA. He's building a team so it will be good for years and years. Just look at what Detroit was like before Holland took over.
I just want the "be good" part to start in 09-10, not in 11-12.

How long did it take Holland to turn Detroit around?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I just want the "be good" part to start in 09-10, not in 11-12.

How long did it take Holland to turn Detroit around?
Holland wasn't the actual GM of the Red wings until 1997. He was the Asst GM before that

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Just to put things into perspective of how even championship teams go through a subtle overhaul. Observe the 2002 Red Wings Cup winning team vs. the 2009 Red Wings roster:

Quote:
Shanahan-Yzerman-Hull
Robitaille-Fedorov-Holmstrom
Datsyuk-Larionov-McCarty
Williams/Devereaux-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Olausson
Duchesne-Chelios
Fischer-Dandenault

Hasek-Legace
Quote:
Cleary-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Zetterberg-Hossa
Hudler-Filppula-Samuelsson
Kopecky/Helm-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Ericsson-Rafalski
Lebda-Stuart/Chelios/Lilja

Osgood-Conklin
Most of the new faces that were brought in were through the draft. Cleary and Samuelsson (and Lilja) were scrubs when the Wings brought them in. Look how they turned out when put into a position to succeed. I'd say the improvement of their prospects into stars is what has helped the Wings carry on their dynasty, and we are seeing the same transition with Pittsburgh from Crosby's first season, when they missed the playoffs, to today.

Old
06-24-2009, 07:43 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are saying that Holland built the foundation or inherited a strong foundation, but in the 3 seasons before Holland became General Manager in July 1997, the Wings had 2 President's trophies and then a Stanley Cup championship

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Just to put things into perspective of how even championship teams go through a subtle overhaul. Observe the 2002 Red Wings Cup winning team vs. the 2009 Red Wings roster:

Most of the new faces that were brought in were through the draft. Cleary and Samuelsson (and Lilja) were scrubs when the Wings brought them in. Look how they turned out when put into a position to succeed. I'd say the improvement of their prospects into stars is what has helped the Wings carry on their dynasty, and we are seeing the same transition with Pittsburgh from Crosby's first season, when they missed the playoffs, to today.

The thing about the Red Wings is they did not throw their young players to the wolves...they were all brought along slowly learning from future hall of fame players Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Hasek, Robitaille, Federov, Larionov, Lidstrom and Chelios.....what future hall of fame players have the Kings gotten to learn from?

Old
06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
The thing about the Red Wings is they did not throw their young players to the wolves...they were all brought along slowly learning from future hall of fame players Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Hasek, Robitaille, Federov, Larionov, Lidstrom and Chelios.....what future hall of fame players have the Kings gotten to learn from?
Problem is the team Lombardi inherited didn't have that strength, but he has surrounded the organization with veterans who have that experience and have had some success in the league. Having Robitaille, Hextall, Ranford, Hardy, Emerson, etc. providing their input and being accessible for the young players to communicate with is integral.

Lombardi did make an attempt to bring in veterans, but as he stated, they were more like mercenaries who were looking to win now and had no interest, ties or connection with the Kings. Different situation in Detroit with Yzerman and Lidstrom being there since they were rookies. Unfortunately the Kings didn't have the luxury of having their veterans stick around.

Old
06-24-2009, 08:26 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Yes.

To directly contradict your own opinion Pittsburgh signed Sergei Gonchar to a lucrative free agent deal after the lockout and Detroit signed Hossa to a nice 1 year deal last summer. Is it the foundation or is it a combination of foundation, free agents and trades? Right now I'm not even sure the Kings have a good foundation since the big guns are all 60 point vanilla ice cream players. Where is the Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Sid, Malkin, Lidstrom, Gonchar comparables on the Kings? They don't exist.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
No, it was Yzerman who was thrown to the wolves and eventually taught others. That is the base DL is attempting to build, hence Brownie's C.

In no way am I saying Brownie is the same caliber player btw.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:

That's some quality analysis right there. I agree the Kings will have to lose a guy equivalent to Malone in a year or two. Think about Anaheim, losing guys like McDonald, Lupul, Kunitz, Moen, Bryz, and still making a run this year. Keeping everyone together is just unrealistic.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Problem is the team Lombardi inherited didn't have that strength, but he has surrounded the organization with veterans who have that experience and have had some success in the league. Having Robitaille, Hextall, Ranford, Hardy, Emerson, etc. providing their input and being accessible for the young players to communicate with is integral.

Lombardi did make an attempt to bring in veterans, but as he stated, they were more like mercenaries who were looking to win now and had no interest, ties or connection with the Kings. Different situation in Detroit with Yzerman and Lidstrom being there since they were rookies. Unfortunately the Kings didn't have the luxury of having their veterans stick around.
Which is one of the big reasons I do not like when people say they want the Kings to be the next Red Wings......The Red Wings acquired many of those Hall of Fame players through free agency and trades.....but many Kings fans do not want to give up assets or pay too much to get those types of players.....so the Kings are no where near the Detroit Red Wings model.

Old
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Which is one of the big reasons I do not like when people say they want the Kings to be the next Red Wings......The Red Wings acquired many of those Hall of Fame players through free agency and trades.....but many Kings fans do not want to give up assets or pay too much to get those types of players.....so the Kings are no where near the Detroit Red Wings model.
You also have to remember that the Red Wings have a winning culture where veterans want to go, whereas veterans in LA want to bolt, that's why they're considered mercenaries. Do you want the kids to be around players who have no interest sticking around? Most likely not. So again, tough situation for Lombardi if he can't find veterans who want to be here.

When Detroit brings in veterans, they were being added to what is already a solid core, not building around those free agents. That is the right way to add to your team, whereas the Rangers who attempt to build through free agency. There is the right way and the wrong way of signing free agents. When you add to what you already have like Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago have done, then you are doing it the right way. Even though Philly got immediate results from their free agent signings, that Briere contract is going to bite them in the butt.

Old
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
No, it was Yzerman who was thrown to the wolves and eventually taught others. That is the base DL is attempting to build, hence Brownie's C.

Building with future hall of fame players is one thing, building with 60 point guys like Frolov, Brown and Kopitar is another. No players in the NHL are clamoring to play with those 3. Based on the comparisons to Pittsburgh and Detroit the Kings are building with the wrong players.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post

Yzerman had Ivan Boldirev, Ron Duguay and John Ogrodnick for a couple of years. Once he turned 21 Yzerman took over and the Red Wings traded off many of their vets. But Yzerman was a lot more mature than any Kings player at the time.

Old
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
You also have to remember that the Red Wings have a winning culture where veterans want to go, whereas veterans in LA want to bolt, that's why they're considered mercenaries. Do you want the kids to be around players who have no interest sticking around? Most likely not. So again, tough situation for Lombardi if he can't find veterans who want to be here.

When Detroit brings in veterans, they were being added to what is already a solid core, not building around those free agents. That is the right way to add to your team, whereas the Rangers who attempt to build through free agency. There is the right way and the wrong way of signing free agents. When you add to what you already have like Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago have done, then you are doing it the right way. Even though Philly got immediate results from their free agent signings, that Briere contract is going to bite them in the butt.
You make some very good points Ziggy...but don't you think that trading for a big name player would go a long way towards showing potential free agents that the Kings are no longer in a "wait and see" mode and are trying to win?

I cannot see players like Gaborik or Hossa choosing to sign with LA until they perceive the team has turned the corner....trading for Lecavalier or Gagne could be the thing that makes a Gaborik or Hossa put LA at the top of their list.

To clarify my thoughts I will repeat an earlier statement where I believe the Kings need to make a serious push before all of their young players have reached their second contracts.