HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

vapor x:60 skates

Old
04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
true, but there must have been something wrong with them cause i dont see any of the new models using them
There are plenty of new models using them, just not Bauer. RBK and Easton both have a perforated runner.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
There are plenty of new models using them, just not Bauer. RBK and Easton both have a perforated runner.
yea ive noticed that but why would bauer get rid of them? i have ls2 perforated runner(s), do they even stock them anymore? i havent found any

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 11:47 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea ive noticed that but why would bauer get rid of them? i have ls2 perforated runner(s), do they even stock them anymore? i havent found any
Simple, breakage. It depends on the grade of steel they are using. My RBK's with the perf runner hold an edge way way better than my Graf 703's. I'm gonna guess RBK uses a better grade steel than Graf. Probably also why they can use a perf runner.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Placebo Effect

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/Merchan...ates_Player_Sr

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 06:13 PM
hkyplayer03

How is the x60 footbed? They claim to feel like superfeet. can anyone back up this claim? Anyone who owns this skate change the insole to superfeet (yellow)?

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
bluumax

just bumpin this thread to see if anybody has a pair of these yet? thinkin of getting some and just wondered how they are compared to the 40's or one95's

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluumax View Post
just bumpin this thread to see if anybody has a pair of these yet? thinkin of getting some and just wondered how they are compared to the 40's or one95's
I saw a pair of these in the pro shop that does my skates and that pair had a warped blade. I made a thread about warped blades ... anyhew the point was that i thought the skate looked like it was made out of chrome metal. They were literally shiny with chrome trim stuff.

Honestly if I could afford them I would get them and not for status symbol of having pricey skates but because at my age of soon to be 41 lighter is better.

I just do not trust the heel on composite skates yet from breaking or getting loose from the blade holder. I do know the less expensive models give big guys trouble in the heels and have only heard that top of the lines won't give that trouble but i do not trust them yet to fork over that much money.

I'll wait a while and see if I see a few angry posts in here about them. This forum rules ... if for anything else just knowing what sucks and what doesn't.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I saw a pair of these in the pro shop that does my skates and that pair had a warped blade. I made a thread about warped blades ... anyhew the point was that i thought the skate looked like it was made out of chrome metal. They were literally shiny with chrome trim stuff.

Honestly if I could afford them I would get them and not for status symbol of having pricey skates but because at my age of soon to be 41 lighter is better.

I just do not trust the heel on composite skates yet from breaking or getting loose from the blade holder. I do know the less expensive models give big guys trouble in the heels and have only heard that top of the lines won't give that trouble but i do not trust them yet to fork over that much money.

I'll wait a while and see if I see a few angry posts in here about them. This forum rules ... if for anything else just knowing what sucks and what doesn't.
Honestly, I've never heard that complaint about any skates before. What skates have you had it on, and how has it manifested? Has it just been popping rivets (cheap fix BTW) or has it been something else? I'm honestly curious...

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Honestly, I've never heard that complaint about any skates before. What skates have you had it on, and how has it manifested? Has it just been popping rivets (cheap fix BTW) or has it been something else? I'm honestly curious...
Two guys on my team both have the RBK intermediate 5k skate. They both had heel seperating from the skate issues. Not the rivets but the part that the holder is riveted to coming apart from the boot.

One guy is about 6ft 8in and weighs 280lbs and the other guy is about 6ft 3in maybe and weighs about what I do which is 230-235lbs.

I should add that I have also had issues with the classic skate my whole life until recently. After about 5 years or so the heel unglues and seperates from the boot. I had a pair of Bauer Supreme 3000s do this as well as a couple of pair of CCM Tacks.

It is a heavy guy thing and have heard other people have the same problems. The composite skates seem to have an issue in their mid priced lines for big guys who are heavy with the part the holkder is attached to seperating from the boot.

I heard that the top end composite skates won't have this issue but like I said I do not trust that enough to buy such an expensive pair of skates yet.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-24-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old
06-25-2009, 01:34 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Two guys on my team both have the RBK intermediate 5k skate. They both had heel seperating from the skate issues. Not the rivets but the part that the holder is riveted to coming apart from the boot.

One guy is about 6ft 8in and weighs 280lbs and the other guy is about 6ft 3in maybe and weighs about what I do which is 230-235lbs.

I should add that I have also had issues with the classic skate my whole life until recently. After about 5 years or so the heel unglues and seperates from the boot. I had a pair of Bauer Supreme 3000s do this as well as a couple of pair of CCM Tacks.

It is a heavy guy thing and have heard other people have the same problems. The composite skates seem to have an issue in their mid priced lines for big guys who are heavy with the part the holkder is attached to seperating from the boot.

I heard that the top end composite skates won't have this issue but like I said I do not trust that enough to buy such an expensive pair of skates yet.
It's not an issue at all. Big guys put a beating on skates, and when the best possible materials aren't used (i.e. mid range) that just compounds the problem. I won't go as far to say the top of the line skates won't break down, but they support and last better and longer then a mid range. The top of the line stuff is the best bet, but I'm not here to persuade, just inform.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Also, those mid range skates are not composite skates. No RBK skate is, they're all conventional material. The cheapest composite skate is an Easton, the SE10 is the cheapest one piece composite boot you can get. It's glass fiber, not carbon or tellaxium like nicer skates are using though. Not as light because they have to use more of it to make it as strong as nicer composites. Easton also makes as low as the S7 with composites, that uses composite quarters instead of a one piece boot though.

Any rbk, any bauer below their top two models in each line, and any CCM but the pro models will not be a composite boot.

I would recommend a higher end boot. Something like the One95 that's known to be an absolute tank.

Old
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Also, those mid range skates are not composite skates. No RBK skate is, they're all conventional material. The cheapest composite skate is an Easton, the SE10 is the cheapest one piece composite boot you can get. It's glass fiber, not carbon or tellaxium like nicer skates are using though. Not as light because they have to use more of it to make it as strong as nicer composites. Easton also makes as low as the S7 with composites, that uses composite quarters instead of a one piece boot though.

Any rbk, any bauer below their top two models in each line, and any CCM but the pro models will not be a composite boot.

I would recommend a higher end boot. Something like the One95 that's known to be an absolute tank.
So the One95 is known to be durable for big guys. That is good to know ...

Yeah these guys like myself play in a men's league and I doubt they have any plans on spending $600 for a pair of skates. I know I won't ... I am using older closeout skates made more traditionally so if they give out in a couple of years or 5 years i don't care because I didn't spend a whole lot.

I researched the RBK5 and it uses a fiberglass portion where the holder is riveted instead of the composite good stuff like you said.

My new pair (Bauer Vapor 6 ... I own 2 pair now), these replace ones I had already, were in the $300 range in 2002 and I got them for $99 recently online. They are the stiffest skate I have ever owned, I got them heat molded and they fit wonderfly.

I would like to find a pair of Vapor 10s from 2002-03 at a closeout price. I am going to look around soon for some. Probably could find some for $150 or so someplace.

I really would love a $600 skate just for the light weightness of them, I picked up a top end pair of CCM skates and ONE skate weighed LESS than a pair of my new Easton Stealth hockey gloves.

I was very impressed to say the least ... I also spoke with an older guy of around 50 who was wearing some top end CCM skates and he said the weightlessness was truly amazing and they helped his game out being older and all with foot speed.

I wish I could get that from a $300 these days because I won't spend more than that. On top of all of this it would not deter me from buying something comfy but today's skates look stupid. I like the traditional look of hockey skates but that is a preference.

I liken it to guys who like Harley motorcycles and other who like the rice rockets. I want Harley skates.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-25-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
bluumax

thanks for the help, are the one95's a quite wide fitting skate then? i heard the x60's and xxxx are, which is definately a usefull thing, i got paddlefeet

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Johnny Law

Quote:
thanks for the help, are the one95's a quite wide fitting skate then? i heard the x60's and xxxx are, which is definately a usefull thing, i got paddlefeet
The X60's have more of a volume fit than the xxxx's, the xxxx's are actually kind of narrow.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:57 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
One 95 is pretty wide, X60s are narrow but the depth was increased over the XXXX, but a pretty similar fit to those.

Oh, and hockeyfan, a lot of skates are using composite outsoles these days. It's lighter and it's stiffer, and it's pretty easy to manufacture a composite outsole. The thing is is thatit still has to be joined ot the rest of the boot, which is where if sounds like you're having problems. With something like a One95, it's all one piece there, there's not a join that's going to come apart.
Compare the joins on this: http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/hockeymonkey_2061_471645400
to this:
http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/hockeymonkey_2061_181483952

Last edited by cptjeff: 06-26-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old
06-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Saved*

Quote:
So the One95 is known to be durable for big guys. That is good to know ...

Yeah these guys like myself play in a men's league and I doubt they have any plans on spending $600 for a pair of skates. I know I won't ... I am using older closeout skates made more traditionally so if they give out in a couple of years or 5 years i don't care because I didn't spend a whole lot.

I researched the RBK5 and it uses a fiberglass portion where the holder is riveted instead of the composite good stuff like you said.

My new pair (Bauer Vapor 6 ... I own 2 pair now), these replace ones I had already, were in the $300 range in 2002 and I got them for $99 recently online. They are the stiffest skate I have ever owned, I got them heat molded and they fit wonderfly.

I would like to find a pair of Vapor 10s from 2002-03 at a closeout price. I am going to look around soon for some. Probably could find some for $150 or so someplace.

I really would love a $600 skate just for the light weightness of them, I picked up a top end pair of CCM skates and ONE skate weighed LESS than a pair of my new Easton Stealth hockey gloves.

I was very impressed to say the least ... I also spoke with an older guy of around 50 who was wearing some top end CCM skates and he said the weightlessness was truly amazing and they helped his game out being older and all with foot speed.

I wish I could get that from a $300 these days because I won't spend more than that. On top of all of this it would not deter me from buying something comfy but today's skates look stupid. I like the traditional look of hockey skates but that is a preference.

I liken it to guys who like Harley motorcycles and other who like the rice rockets. I want Harley skates.
If you're looking for a great skate in the Vapor line, grab the XXIX SMU. It's the exact same as the Vapor XXX except it has a more modernized look, and updated materials etc. This is going by what I was told and what I read.. but still.

You can get it for around 300. It is originally a $500 skate.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:10 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

You can get XXXXs for around 300 US these days too.

Old
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
If you're looking for a great skate in the Vapor line, grab the XXIX SMU. It's the exact same as the Vapor XXX except it has a more modernized look, and updated materials etc. This is going by what I was told and what I read.. but still.

You can get it for around 300. It is originally a $500 skate.

Thanks for the info guys seriously, I will be snooping around for something.

Old
06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
It's a great skate. The fit is medium. It reminds me of the CCM Vector line but wider in the ankle area.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
It's a great skate. The fit is medium. It reminds me of the CCM Vector line but wider in the ankle area.
My current Bauer skate size on the Vapor 6 from 2002-03 is 11.5EE .... I have an issue with every new pair of skate throughout my life and that is the left foot toe cap is touching my big toe. I knock the cap out with a tool I use for that using a hammer. I've done this for years and I do not know how these fancy new skates would react to that.

I have a longer than normal left big toe I guess

My right foot always fits nicely ... I should add that I also use a home made tool to make a new ankle pocket on the left skate. Is the ankle socket in these new skates something easy to alter?

I make mine about an 8th inch higher in the boot than the one set there at the factory because my ankle is weird I guess to go along with my weird longer big toe. I have to do this with any skate I buy. Will they heat mold that well where this won't be an issue?

Old
06-26-2009, 05:58 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
My current Bauer skate size on the Vapor 6 from 2002-03 is 11.5EE .... I have an issue with every new pair of skate throughout my life and that is the left foot toe cap is touching my big toe. I knock the cap out with a tool I use for that using a hammer. I've done this for years and I do not know how these fancy new skates would react to that.

I have a longer than normal left big toe I guess

My right foot always fits nicely ... I should add that I also use a home made tool to make a new ankle pocket on the left skate. Is the ankle socket in these new skates something easy to alter?

I make mine about an 8th inch higher in the boot than the one set there at the factory because my ankle is weird I guess to go along with my weird longer big toe. I have to do this with any skate I buy. Will they heat mold that well where this won't be an issue?
The heat molding may take care of the ankle issue for you, but the toecap fix would probalby still work, The vapor toecap is still plastic. I've also heard of people using a heat gun then reaching in and gently punching out a spot on those, don't know how that compares to what you've been doing.

The Ankle pocket, if it is screwy, will be nearly impossible to change. You'll want to try on a pair of vapors from the same generation first.

Old
06-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
The heat molding may take care of the ankle issue for you, but the toecap fix would probalby still work, The vapor toecap is still plastic. I've also heard of people using a heat gun then reaching in and gently punching out a spot on those, don't know how that compares to what you've been doing.

The Ankle pocket, if it is screwy, will be nearly impossible to change. You'll want to try on a pair of vapors from the same generation first.
I would know right in the store if the ankle fits properly before they are heated. This also causes me to be afraid to buy online if a skate is a closeout because they may not accept a return.

I am going to talk to my friend who owns a pro shop here, the guy who does my skates and ask him about it. he is the one I talk about in here who does custom skate work for the QMJHL MAINEiacs Junior team here. He is the one who recently showed me a Vapor X60 $600 skate that came out of the box with a warped blade runner when I was talking about warped blade runners in that thread I made.

To answer your question about what I do with the toe cap I do not heat it up and just bang it out from inside with a metal tool that is rounded at the bottom as to not make any sharp impressions or scar marks inside the skate. I then use a small piece of sandpaper to smooth out my monkey business in there.

I have not heated anything up but that would speed things up for sure. Hadn't thought of it honestly.

I had thought about just getting one skate a half size different than the other one but the rest of the foot fits perfectly and it would not work. After I get everything just soo things are perfect and very comfy. it just takes a little tweaking, I think if the insides of the new composite skate boots have padding for ankles I could just redo that with the thing I made because I only need an 8th of an inch or a little more. An 8th doesn't seem like much until you need it to stop ankle pain because the socket isn't lined up with your ankle bone.

The thing I made is just a piece of plywood with a hole cut out in the middle, the hole is then beveled and rounded so it won't damage the skate material when it is used. I then tape with white hockey tape a metal plate to cover the hole from the outside as the C-clamp will be on that over the hole.

Then on the inside I place a half of a ball bearing where I need my ankle bone to be and then the C-clamp on the inside of the boot goes on the half of a ball bearing. Tighten everything up and leave it there for a half hour or whatever and new ankle pocket is made rather easily. I would think I could heat up the boot in that area with a hair dryer and do this and it would work on the new skates these days.

What do you think? I mean if you can picture what I am talking about, I am trying to avoid taking a photograph and posting it because I hate digging out the usb cable for that and stuff. I know ... I suck.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:36 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
I would know right in the store if the ankle fits properly before they are heated. This also causes me to be afraid to buy online if a skate is a closeout because they may not accept a return.

I am going to talk to my friend who owns a pro shop here, the guy who does my skates and ask him about it. he is the one I talk about in here who does custom skate work for the QMJHL MAINEiacs Junior team here. He is the one who recently showed me a Vapor X60 $600 skate that came out of the box with a warped blade runner when I was talking about warped blade runners in that thread I made.

To answer your question about what I do with the toe cap I do not heat it up and just bang it out from inside with a metal tool that is rounded at the bottom as to not make any sharp impressions or scar marks inside the skate. I then use a small piece of sandpaper to smooth out my monkey business in there.

I have not heated anything up but that would speed things up for sure. Hadn't thought of it honestly.

I had thought about just getting one skate a half size different than the other one but the rest of the foot fits perfectly and it would not work. After I get everything just soo things are perfect and very comfy. it just takes a little tweaking, I think if the insides of the new composite skate boots have padding for ankles I could just redo that with the thing I made because I only need an 8th of an inch or a little more. An 8th doesn't seem like much until you need it to stop ankle pain because the socket isn't lined up with your ankle bone.

The thing I made is just a piece of plywood with a hole cut out in the middle, the hole is then beveled and rounded so it won't damage the skate material when it is used. I then tape with white hockey tape a metal plate to cover the hole from the outside as the C-clamp will be on that over the hole.

Then on the inside I place a half of a ball bearing where I need my ankle bone to be and then the C-clamp on the inside of the boot goes on the half of a ball bearing. Tighten everything up and leave it there for a half hour or whatever and new ankle pocket is made rather easily. I would think I could heat up the boot in that area with a hair dryer and do this and it would work on the new skates these days.

What do you think? I mean if you can picture what I am talking about, I am trying to avoid taking a photograph and posting it because I hate digging out the usb cable for that and stuff. I know ... I suck.
I can envision what you're talking about, and I would say that it's a pretty safe bet to screwing up a composite boot. It might work with the new thermo formability of the new moldable composites like the One95 or X60 have, but I would be afraid to try it.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Hockeyfan68

Well damn cptjeff that means I can't buy a closeout online unless they will accept returns for them. Thanks for the info.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:07 PM
hkyplayer03

Well I'm an adult went on a splurge and bought the x60's but I paid 399 cause of my jr footsize. The skates are definitely one of the best. At first I was a bit apprehensive about the tight fit even though I'm a EE size, but after the baking and skating for 1hr the tightness loosened up a bit into a comfortable fit. The major differences from my bauer vapor XXII's which were 3 sizes larger than what I should have been was better acceleration, and easier turning.

QUESTION: Is it necessary or recommended to change the stock rivets on the jr skates x60's skates ? I'm 5'5 and about 130 pounds. Would it cost extra?

Last edited by hkyplayer03: 07-03-2009 at 11:55 AM.
hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote