HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi on HNIC Radio (6/23/09)

Old
06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Wings are a bunch of sissies...I love that they lost...softer than a bag of marshmellows...They better revamp that checking line....Maltby looks like an ECHL'er...might as well put Aaron Downey or a guy like Chris Neil with Draper and Helm.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Wings are a bunch of sissies...I love that they lost...softer than a bag of marshmellows...They better revamp that checking line....Maltby looks like an ECHL'er...might as well put Aaron Downey or a guy like Chris Neil with Draper and Helm.
I actually though both the Red Wings and Penguins looked soft....there were almost no good hits or fights to speak of in the finals......I found it rather boring.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
You make some very good points Ziggy...but don't you think that trading for a big name player would go a long way towards showing potential free agents that the Kings are no longer in a "wait and see" mode and are trying to win?

I cannot see players like Gaborik or Hossa choosing to sign with LA until they perceive the team has turned the corner....trading for Lecavalier or Gagne could be the thing that makes a Gaborik or Hossa put LA at the top of their list.

To clarify my thoughts I will repeat an earlier statement where I believe the Kings need to make a serious push before all of their young players have reached their second contracts.
Of course I want to see the Kings bring in a big name player, but not at the cost of not being able to retain Doughty, Quick, Simmonds, Moller, Hickey, Teubert, Voinov, Loktionov, etc. whenever their entry level contracts expire (and should they establish themselves as legit NHL players).

If Gaborik or Hossa or Havlat would sign in LA on reasonable terms, I'm all for it. I want to see the team take the next step much like Chicago did, but I also don't want to see them give out Brian Campbell-like contracts that will stifle them in the future.

It's all coming together and I think smart, calculated moves is the right method. Lombardi has a plan that he isn't going to deviate from.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I actually though both the Red Wings and Penguins looked soft....there were almost no good hits or fights to speak of in the finals......I found it rather boring.
I don't know about that. Kronwall was destroying people. Datsyuk and Malkin threw some big hits. It was a pretty physical battle, but it did look like most players were gassed towards the end of the series. The Chicago/Detroit series was a battle.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Of course I want to see the Kings bring in a big name player, but not at the cost of not being able to retain Doughty, Quick, Simmonds, Moller, Hickey, Teubert, Voinov, Loktionov, etc. whenever their entry level contracts expire (and should they establish themselves as legit NHL players).

If Gaborik or Hossa or Havlat would sign in LA on reasonable terms, I'm all for it. I want to see the team take the next step much like Chicago did, but I also don't want to see them give out Brian Campbell-like contracts that will stifle them in the future.

It's all coming together and I think smart, calculated moves is the right method. Lombardi has a plan that he isn't going to deviate from.
I see your concerns....but I do not think they are legitimate....for a few reasons...

1st....All of the Kings prospects are not going to reach their potential....that is just reality.

2nd......The players that do reach their potential are the ones that will be retained...it will be the secondary players that will worry about being offered extensions.

3rd....If the Kings show they are committed to winning they will be more likely to encounter a situation where players like Doughty, Quick, Simmonds, Moller, Hickey, Teubert, Voinov, Loktionov, etc. will be willing to sign cheaper deals in order to keep a winning team intact (Detroit and New Jersey both are examples of this over the last 3 seasons). If they are not willing to sign for less does that not put them in the same category as Cammalleri....a player that many on this board were glad to see go bacuase he valued money more than winning?

Old
06-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I don't know about that. Kronwall was destroying people. Datsyuk and Malkin threw some big hits. It was a pretty physical battle, but it did look like most players were gassed towards the end of the series. The Chicago/Detroit series was a battle.
I must have blinked during those hits...because I do not remember seeing anything more than a moderately physical regular season game...I expected more from a Stanley Cup finals series.

Last edited by Captain Ron: 06-24-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old
06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

On the other hand would the Hawks have developed into the young, powerhouse they appear to be without the over payment to Campbell? Campbell is surely over paid but he is a very skilled defensemen who logs a lot of quality minutes. Can you put a price tag on him or Gonchar? Where would Pittsburgh be without Gonchar in the lineup? And there is a strong probability that the Kings will keep their core together and continue to miss the playoffs. It seems to me there has been a set pattern to winning post lockout and they all have signed at least 1 big name free agent.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
2nd......The players that do reach their potential are the ones that will be retained...it will be the secondary players that will worry about being offered extensions.
In order to do that we need to hang on to them AND have roster spots for them to see how they turn out. We can't KNOW which to retain until we've had time to qualify them or write them off. Hence why I think so many scream "PATIENCE!" a little too loudly.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
I must have blinked during those hits...because I do not remember seeing anything more than a moderately physical regular season game...I expected more from a Stanley Cup finals series.
Expected more from a Stanley Cup Final series!? Are you honestly being serious!? The physicality steps up each series this year. Rewatch just the highlights and you'll see EVERY check finished in the finals. Then watch some highlights of a random regular season game ... any two teams. The differences are stark. I honestly think you just want to disagree with people right now because I watched every second of the finals and was amazed at how anyone who went below the goal line was absolutely crushed against the boards. What about Crosby getting his knee wrecked in game seven? Jesus! Just watch the highlights of any game on the Redwings or Penguins website.

I know your intelligent but when you make statements like this you come off as ridiculous.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
Expected more from a Stanley Cup Final series!? Are you honestly being serious!? The physicality steps up each series this year. Rewatch just the highlights and you'll see EVERY check finished in the finals. Then watch some highlights of a random regular season game ... any two teams. The differences are stark. I honestly think you just want to disagree with people right now because I watched every second of the finals and was amazed at how anyone who went below the goal line was absolutely crushed against the boards. What about Crosby getting his knee wrecked in game seven? Jesus! Just watch the highlights of any game on the Redwings or Penguins website.

I know your intelligent but when you make statements like this you come off as ridiculous.

Sorry....but I have watched almost every fianls series for the past 20 years....and this years was extremely tame.....I am accustomed to seeing guys with stitches, black eyes and face shields playing in the finals because they have been beat to hell over the past 6 weeks....I did not see any of this from either of these two teams....

My standards for two teams fighting for the ultimate trophy in sports is more than bumping each other up and down the ice.

I even talked it up to my wife saying "Watch how ohysical the finals become"....and she did not see it....this coming from someone who rarely watched hockey....let alone playoff hockey.

Old
06-25-2009, 09:43 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Sorry....but I have watched almost every fianls series for the past 20 years....and this years was extremely tame.....I am accustomed to seeing guys with stitches, black eyes and face shields playing in the finals because they have been beat to hell over the past 6 weeks....I did not see any of this from either of these two teams....

My standards for two teams fighting for the ultimate trophy in sports is more than bumping each other up and down the ice.

I even talked it up to my wife saying "Watch how ohysical the finals become"....and she did not see it....this coming from someone who rarely watched hockey....let alone playoff hockey.
i'm gunna have to agree with you on this one. i didn't see all the drama and baggage and nastiness that you so oft see in the finals. sure there was some great hockey being played with the puck but it was sorely lacking any defining moments. i guess the best part was how the home/away wins went and the upset in detroit.

finishing checks? big deal, that's what you're supposed to do in the regular season. crosby getting his leg smashed? that just looked like a bad angle into the boards more than anything.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote