HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nj/tb

Old
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
The Rochester Rocket

vCash: 500
Nj/tb

Devils get: Vincent Lecavalier and 2nd round pick

Lightning get: Brian Rolston, Dainius Zubrus, and Paul Martin

IMO Devils get a legit center for Elias and cap room to sign either Gionta or Havlat. Lightning get two very good forwards, Rolston could definitely teach Stamkos a lot, and Paul Martin the most underrated defenseman in the league paired with Meszaros would be sick.

Last edited by The Rochester Rocket: 06-25-2009 at 01:12 AM.
The Rochester Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:11 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

I thought the Devils wanted to improve the D so why are they trading away their best defenseman?

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Rolston was a waste of space last year and Zubrus has some retarded ass contract for a mediocre 3rd liner.

Paul Martin is awesome, but you aren't getting Lecavalier plus a pick for him and borderline value-less pieces like Rolston and Zubrus.

Take out Zubrus and add in Zajac and add in a 1st round pick to offset the value of the 2nd coming back (which would just downgrade the Devils pick a bit) and it's a much better looking deal.

And one that could actually work.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Devils don't need Lecavlier...lol.

Why would the Devils trade Zajac so early into his career?

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:24 AM
kiwidevil

So we lose our best D-man and still only have one good, although vastly better center?

kiwidevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:25 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I find that Devils fans call Paul Martin "underrated" or "unheralded" so often, that he has actually become overrated.

Martin is essentially the center piece from this deal from the Devils side, as if you look at it logically Rolston, a 36 year old forward who put up 15G-32pts and is signed for 3 more years at a 5M cap hit hold little to no value, possibly negative in this cap world. And Danius Zubrus is an odd forward. He is a very low-end 2nd line player, only put up 40pts this year and is signed for too many years(4more) above market value at 3.4M.

The fact your asking for Tampa Bay to add a high 2nd to this deal makes it even worse. I am sure Tampa would be looking for something more like..

Zajac, 1st + +

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
Devils don't need Lecavlier...lol.

Why would the Devils trade Zajac so early into his career?
Because Zajac will never, ever be as good as Lecavalier and because he or someone of his caliber (IE young and good) would be absolutely required in a deal?

Why the flying hell would TB accept a proposal of two value-less guys and a good defenseman for Vinny? AND throw in a pick?

Doesn't add up.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:32 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because Zajac will never, ever be as good as Lecavalier and because he or someone of his caliber (IE young and good) would be absolutely required in a deal?

Why the flying hell would TB accept a proposal of two value-less guys and a good defenseman for Vinny? AND throw in a pick?

Doesn't add up.
Exactly. There is no conceivable way to explain how this trade does not heavily favour the Devils.

They lose 8.4M in very badly spent cap space for next 3/4 years, and a good but not great defenseman for a 29yr old franchise center, who has hit 50-50, has a Cup ring and is signed long term and the 32nd pick in a very deep draft.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Rolston was a waste of space last year and Zubrus has some retarded ass contract for a mediocre 3rd liner.

Paul Martin is awesome, but you aren't getting Lecavalier plus a pick for him and borderline value-less pieces like Rolston and Zubrus.

Take out Zubrus and add in Zajac and add in a 1st round pick to offset the value of the 2nd coming back (which would just downgrade the Devils pick a bit) and it's a much better looking deal.

And one that could actually work.
Contrary to popular belief, Rolston wasn't a waste of space last year. He may have had a rough time after he immediately came back from injury, but he was still a legitimate scoring threat on the third line. Plus he was a valueable asset on the power play. Don't be surprised if he bounces back next year.

Although I agree with you, this proposal is bad. Not only would it not net Lecavalier, it wouldn't make sense from a Devils stand point. The Devils depth is awful and they give up their best defenseman in the deal? The Devils probably don't have the assets to acquire him. Besides, I would think Tampa's management is salavating at the idea of having Stamkos, Lecavalier, and Hedman for the next 10 years.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Rschmitz

This thread doesn't even deserve a response

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
We need Martin more than we need Lecavalier. And i doubt Tampa has interest in our bad contracts (Zubrus and Rolston).

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:36 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

We went after Rolston once, doubtful he wants to be here.

It'd be nice to have Martin, but i'd be very reluctant to give up ANY picks. We really need to fill up on prospects this year.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:56 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Look, Lecavalier is awesome, but this trade does not get him, and nor does it help the Devils if we add the pieces required (Zajac). We upgrade our #1 center, yes, but what good does the improved offense do us without a defense? (See: Tampa Bay)

It's not a good enough proposal AND it doesn't actually help the Devils, in my opinion.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Tampa Bay isn't really looking to add $12.2M in salary, ~$4.5M if you subtract for Lecavalier, so that's a non-starter already. The Devils can't trade Martin either.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote