HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Luc Robitaille have a statue at STAPLES Center?

Old
06-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Defgarden

vCash: 500
Luc certainly deserves a statue. As long as we don't see it as some curse, I'm cool.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am not pouring down hate on Wayne, just saying that, as a King, he is not the end all be all of the franchise. It was quite a feat for him to do what he did in the playoffs of '93, but Robitaille led the team in goals for both the 92-93 and 93-94 seasons. He had a big hand in the team's success during that time as well. Just because Wayne had one extremely good playoff run with us doesn't get him a statue in front of our arena. I still think Luc wins the battle in a King uniform and deserves the honor more. At least have it be a player that is drafted by and bleeds for the organization.
Gretzky came here to win a Cup (and almost succeeded).

Luc realized he had to go elsewhere to win the Cup. I was so ****** when Luc came back to L.A. with the Cup in tow.... - like I need to see him carry it while wearing a redwings jersey! Sorry, don't really need to see that in L.A. - leave that in Detroit.

I love Luc and all, but between the two, I go with Gretzky every time.

Without Gretzky, they don't even get close in '93.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Gretzky came here to win a Cup (and almost succeeded).

Luc realized he had to go elsewhere to win the Cup. I was so ****** when Luc came back to L.A. with the Cup in tow.... - like I need to see him carry it while wearing a redwings jersey! Sorry, don't really need to see that in L.A. - leave that in Detroit.

I love Luc and all, but between the two, I go with Gretzky every time.

Without Gretzky, they don't even get close in '93.
Gretzky is the better player obviously, but I have no doubts that Robitaille is the best player with the best career in a King uniform, then Dionne, and then Gretzky in my book. Just because he was vital for making the finals in '93 doesn't mean he deserves a statue.

It is not like Robitaille was sitting there not wanting to win a cup in LA. Even Gretzky left to try and win a cup again... Hell, everyone did/does! Blake did it too... They are loyal to us until they realize that LA is incapable of winning it and move on, but Robitaille did it correctly, he explained everything, didn't juke us out or anything, went to Detroit, won his cup, and came back indefinitely with the intentions of retiring and devoting himself to the organization. Can't fault the guy for wanting to win the greatest prize in sports... He brought it back to fans in LA could see it and have some exposure to it, it was with good intentions and he wanted to share his joy with the fanbase he loved most. You didn't have to pay attention to it or see it.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 06-24-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 01:29 PM
The Judge

To even ask this question IMO is absurd. The most prolific left wing scorer in NHL history... and will be inducted to the Hall of Fame?

DUH!

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Apparently Gretzky single-handedly lead the team to the Cup Finals in a year when he missed half the season? Yes, the playoffs was the Gretzky show, but how are you guys forgetting the entire first half of that season?

We should tear down Staples and rebuild it as a huge Luc head. Seriously, a statue would be cool, I suppose, I think he would deserve it.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post

We should tear down Staples and rebuild it as a huge Luc head.
Best idea ever!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Apparently Gretzky single-handedly lead the team to the Cup Finals in a year when he missed half the season? Yes, the playoffs was the Gretzky show, but how are you guys forgetting the entire first half of that season?
Are you refering to the 1992-93 Los Angeles Kings that finished the season with 39 Wins / 35 Losses / 10 Ties with 88 points?

The team that was 6th place in the Western Conference and only 6 points away from finishing out of the playoffs?

Yes that team had an awesome first half of the season.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:48 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Are you refering to the 1992-93 Los Angeles Kings that finished the season with 39 Wins / 35 Losses / 10 Ties with 88 points?

The team that was 6th place in the Western Conference and only 6 points away from finishing out of the playoffs?

Yes that team had an awesome first half of the season.
The Kings started 20-8-3 in 92-93 with Gretzky out, Ron, so yeah, I am referring to that season. Thanks for the clarification on how the team was average after Luc carried the team the first half of that season. You pretty much just proved my point, thanks.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Johnny Rockstar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Kings started 20-8-3 in 92-93 with Gretzky out, Ron, so yeah, I am referring to that season. Thanks for the clarification on how the team was average after Luc carried the team the first half of that season. You pretty much just proved my point, thanks.

06-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Luc was very good that season....but he definitely did not carry the team. I seem to remember a certain Tomas Sandstrom (scoring 25 goals in 39 games) and Tony Granato (scoring 37 goals in 81 games), not to mention Kurri and his 27 goals, Donnelley with his 29 goals and Millen with his 23 goals. That team pulled together at the beginning of the season to make up for the loss of their beloved Gretzky.....I like Luc as much as the next Kings fan....but he was not the reason for the wins in 1992.

Oh...and just for clarification the Kings record for the 1st half of that season was 21-16-5 (42 games played).

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
http://lifeinhockeywood.com/2009/06/...ys-statue.aspx

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post

That thing looks like an ice swan from a wedding

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

That thing looks like an ice swan from a wedding

I'll tell Mateo he's got a future in photoshopping Ice Swans for weddings.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote