HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(Goalie coach) Reggie Lemelin fired!

Old
06-25-2009, 10:36 AM
flyguy
PetSoundsAvatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
I understand that he was THE goalie advisor on all organizational levels -- although I can't back that up right now -- and he had a hand in goalie decisions and farm development... Neil Little took over or eased his burden on some of that.
I was thinking of mainly the grooming of Pelletier and Ouellet. They could have just been busts, but from what I remember they were both thought to be something special potential wise.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
It does make one wonder, I mean Biron was hardly the worst goalie of his tenure, so why now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
maybe someone finally realized that their goalies always had issues that a goalie coach would be able to help with
I can't imagine Emery's acquisition had much to do with this. And Biron wasn't the worst, but again...after 15 yrs of mediocracy..maybe enough was enough?

I'm happy about the change. Maybe shootouts won't be an after thought now.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I was thinking of mainly the grooming of Pelletier and Ouellet. They could have just been busts, but from what I remember they were both thought to be something special potential wise.

They were.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I can't imagine Emery's acquisition had much to do with this. And Biron wasn't the worst, but again...after 15 yrs of mediocracy..maybe enough was enough?
Neither can I. But I just think it's weird that they stuck with him through much more terrible. Absolutely about ****ing time though.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Hopefully Reese is a more successful goalie coach than he was a goalie....

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
If he had his hand in the decision to draft that -- rating them at least -- he has no clean hands in any of it, IMO.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post

I'm happy about the change. Maybe shootouts won't be an after thought now.
Marty's decision making while here was horrendous... In fact, the goalie puck handling post Hextall has been well below acceptable standards in my mind... And they always seem to think they have more skill with it than they do.

I could see where Biron's out of crease repeated escapades may have had a hand in Homer finally deciding not to renew Reggie's contract again... Time to go another direction.

Old
06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Neither can I. But I just think it's weird that they stuck with him through much more terrible. Absolutely about ****ing time though.
I don't know how long Reggie's contract was... This could have been the first renewal period under Homer. As hard as Clarke was in some areas on and off the ice, he was a softy in others... And overly loyal at times.

Old
06-25-2009, 11:49 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
What information did you have back then, and now, to back up the statement on when the decision was decided on? I saw no hint, but many reasons why it should have been.
No information other than word of mouth, but the fact that I heard it back then and it's starting to be substantiated now is enough for me to believe it.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
kicksave27

finally

Maybe now I'll finally get to see a flyers goalie figure out and overcome an obvious hole in there game.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
This was actually decided right after the season, long before Emery came around. I mentioned it in some other thread weeks ago but nobody seemed to notice.
Maybe I noticed, because I thought Reggie was already outta here. Maybe its in my unsubstantiated notes at work, too. I don't know.
Reese's ties to Barber probably did have a role in this (says the Barber fan).

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
finally

Maybe now I'll finally get to see a flyers goalie figure out and overcome an obvious hole in there game.

I thought this news would make you happy.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
"Reggie Lemelin is out as Flyers Goalie coach. replaced by Jeff Reese. I really liked Reggie. Quality person."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-today/1/21713

I'm trying to find an official statement, but it may be to early in the AM.
How much extra cap space does this give us?

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
How much extra cap space does this give us?
When you figure in bang for the buck in goal... plenty.

Old
06-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Hopefully he's a more successful goalie coach than he was a goalie coach in TB.

While everyone is getting excited, some numbers to ponder:

23rd, 30th, 30th, 26th.

What are those numbers? TBs team SVPCT since the lockout. Last year was the first year they've managed a .900 SVPCT since the lockout. They have had simply atrocious goaltending since Khabi left that squad, and its one of the primary reasons they went from SC Champs to suck so quickly.

Now, you can say Reese didn't have that much to work with, but we've seen pretty good goaltending here by comparison and never, ever had an elite level goaltender between the pipes as far as talent.

As ever, careful what you wish for...you might just get it.

Note: I have no idea when exactly he left TB...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Love it, love it, love it!!!!! This move was FAR too long in the making. 18 different goaltenders in 15 years. 18. At some point, someone needed to be held accountable for the play of the goaltenders here in Philadelphia and I'm glad that they finally decided it was time to move in another direction.

I really like Jeff Reese and he's done some real good work with some mediocre goaltenders. I think it's a real positive move and a move in the right direction to correct the carousel of goaltenders that have come through Philadelphia.
Surely you jest, they've had the worst goaltending in the league since the lockout. Can argue it's just the personnel, but bad is bad no matter how you frame it.

Old
06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Heh. True enough, though they have had some pretty horrible 'tenders between Khabibulin and Smith.

As for why Reese left Tampa, I believe Mike Vernon was added to the Bolts' staff last summer. Perhaps he's been pegged to take over the goaltending coach duties.

Old
06-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

While everyone is getting excited, some numbers to ponder:

23rd, 30th, 30th, 26th.

What are those numbers? TBs team SVPCT since the lockout. Last year was the first year they've managed a .900 SVPCT since the lockout. They have had simply atrocious goaltending since Khabi left that squad, and its one of the primary reasons they went from SC Champs to suck so quickly.

Now, you can say Reese didn't have that much to work with, but we've seen pretty good goaltending here by comparison and never, ever had an elite level goaltender between the pipes as far as talent.

As ever, careful what you wish for...you might just get it.

I believe the main cause for joy, and relief, is from the fact that there has been a changing of the guard... If this stand past goalie coach hasn't done the job over the last 15 years, can another one having a chance really be a bad thing?

I trust the due diligence by Homer & Co., and hope that any future goalie coaches would not have as long a leash as Reggie had... Let's discuss this next year at this time.

Old
06-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Heh. True enough, though they have had some pretty horrible 'tenders between Khabibulin and Smith.

As for why Reese left Tampa, I believe Mike Vernon was added to the Bolts' staff last summer. Perhaps he's been pegged to take over the goaltending coach duties.
Well, if Reese wasn't coaching last year (possible given that would make sense with the new Melrose staff coming in), then that means he wasn't even there the one year they started to be respectable. I mean, they were abysmal in goaltending after Khabi left...and certainly talent explains some of that (talent explains a lot of Lemelin's supposed troubles, too), but I'm not too excited to have a goalie coach that coached the back-to-back worst goaltending in the league.

Old
06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
I believe the main cause for joy, and relief, is from the fact that there has been a changing of the guard... If this stand past goalie coach hasn't done the job over the last 15 years, can another one having a chance really be a bad thing?

I trust the due diligence by Homer & Co., and hope that any future goalie coaches would not have as long a leash as Reggie had... Let's discuss this next year at this time.
See, but I'm baffled why Lemelin has taken such a beating...our goaltending, despite never really investing in the position, has been pretty damn good over the years. Elite? No, but we weren't paying for elite goaltending. Biron did BETTER here than his career numbers suggested he would. It's true, you can look it up.

Now we've let Lemelin go, and fine, bring in new eyes and ears...but we've replaced him with a guy who has a simply horrendous track record since the lockout.

Yay...?

Old
06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Viller

Quote:
Well, if Reese wasn't coaching last year (possible given that would make sense with the new Melrose staff coming in), then that means he wasn't even there the one year they started to be respectable. I mean, they were abysmal in goaltending after Khabi left...and certainly talent explains some of that (talent explains a lot of Lemelin's supposed troubles, too), but I'm not too excited to have a goalie coach that coached the back-to-back worst goaltending in the league.
Flyers have had questionnable goalies in the past little 10-15 years, but worst in the league? What the **** are you smoking, seriously. You need to look around the league alot more, we've had better than average and they always ended up sucking after a year or 2, wonder why... my simple explanation is coaching.

Hopefully they let McCrossin go to soon enough. They need to try someone else, different training regiments and stuff. This is injury bug can't be blamed on him 100% but he certainly deserves some of the blame since its his job to keep the guys in the best shape possible.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:28 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Flyers have had questionnable goalies in the past little 10-15 years, but worst in the league? What the **** are you smoking, seriously. You need to look around the league alot more, we've had better than average and they always ended up sucking after a year or 2, wonder why... my simple explanation is coaching.

Hopefully they let McCrossin go to soon enough. They need to try someone else, different training regiments and stuff. This is injury bug can't be blamed on him 100% but he certainly deserves some of the blame since its his job to keep the guys in the best shape possible.
Jester was talking about the goaltending situation in Tampa Bay.

Old
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
PF

Viller, he's calling the Tampa goaltending numbers the worst in the league.

I think it was time for a change and I won't damn Reese before he begins based on Tampa's records, they were some poor teams as well as the goalies being mediocre in general the last few years, he has a clean slate and Emery and whoever we bring in to work with I'll judge him on those results (as best as I can I should say since judging the effect of a goalie coach is a pretty difficult proposition).

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 842
Quote:
It is meaningless, but out of curiosity I checked FlyersHistory to see Reese's record against the Flyers: his teams were outscored 24-3 in his first four appearances. He had six appearances total.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I thought this news would make you happy.
It gives me hope that we'll at least be .500 in shootouts. Or at least it won't be as painful for me to watch.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote