HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Health Canada prohibits sale of non-certified head/facial protection

Old
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
densetsu

vCash: 500
Health Canada prohibits sale of non-certified head/facial protection

This was just brought to my attention by a member on another board (GSBB) who works at a sports equipment store. Apparently, helmets and facial protection that isn't CSA certified has been classified as a 'hazardous product' in Canada. The sale, importation, and/or advertising of these non-CSA certified products within Canada is prohibited.

http://hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/advisorie...asques-eng.php

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...eaux-1-eng.php

This applies to everything related to head and facial protection. Helmets, visors, cages, goalie masks, goalie mask cages (cateye, cheater). All prohibited to sell or import (e.g. buy from the US and have shipped into Canada). You can use your existing uncertified gear as long as you like, you just can't sell it to someone else or buy new uncertified gear.

Knowing how many small goalie mask manufacturers there who make excellent products but don't have their masks CSA certified because of the costs, this seems like a big cash grab. CSA sets these standards, and CSA charges manufacturers huge amounts of cash to have products certified. Conflict of interest... but maybe that's just me.

Edit: I've been told that this came into effect June 3rd, 2009, with a 60-day enforcement/grace period. This is word of mouth, I haven't found this on the Health Canada site.

Last edited by densetsu: 06-25-2009 at 03:41 PM.
densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Hockeyfan68

That figures ... this sort of thing doesn't surprise me these days.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Nbr-17

Wow, that would also mean that only visors that can flip up can be sold.
None of the visors that only attach to the sides of the helmet like the pros use.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
This was just brought to my attention by a member on another board (GSBB) who works at a sports equipment store. Apparently, helmets and facial protection that isn't CSA certified has been classified as a 'hazardous product' in Canada. The sale, importation, and/or advertising of these non-CSA certified products within Canada is prohibited.

http://hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/advisorie...asques-eng.php

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...eaux-1-eng.php

This applies to everything related to head and facial protection. Helmets, visors, cages, goalie masks, goalie mask cages (cateye, cheater). All prohibited to sell or import (e.g. buy from the US and have shipped into Canada). You can use your existing uncertified gear as long as you like, you just can't sell it to someone else or buy new uncertified gear.

Knowing how many small goalie mask manufacturers there who make excellent products but don't have their masks CSA certified because of the costs, this seems like a big cash grab. CSA sets these standards, and CSA charges manufacturers huge amounts of cash to have products certified. Conflict of interest... but maybe that's just me.

Edit: I've been told that this came into effect June 3rd, 2009, with a 60-day enforcement/grace period. This is word of mouth, I haven't found this on the Health Canada site.
The first link refers to hockey and lacrosse specifically...so can someone sell me a cat eye facemask for walking my dog, as long as it is not advertised or sold for hockey?

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
None of the visors that only attach to the sides of the helmet like the pros use.
Or like normal people use?

What's the point of the flip up anyway?

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

I'm not sure .... a guy on our team uses one of those and he flips it up when he is on the bench.

Maybe it is to help whatever fogging is there to evaporate? Probably to prevent fogging while sitting (steaming) on the bench would be my best guess.

Dunno really.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Actually it was mentioned during my trainer's clinic.
With a flip up shield you don't need to remove the helmet to do mouth-to-mouth if needed.
That is why the shields that are fixed to the side of the helmet are not CSA certified.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
The Itech X100 (worn by all CHL teams) screws into the side of the helmet, and is certified, but it is a system with a detachable shield.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:39 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I heard another thing with this over on modsquad: since this bans the sale of non certified goalie masks, and each new shell design must be approved with the cage at a 10K fee, this new law very effectively bans the sale of top end custom goalie masks to anybody but pros in canada.

Dumbass.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

I thought of this thread yesterday while I was looking at the new Bauer packages eye protection at a local store. They said NON-certified on them.

I am buying an HS22 Prowave visor next week .... I am glad this Itech switchover to Bauer is done so we can actually buy stuff again on the shelves.

Cripes. *sarcasm*

Old
06-30-2009, 02:18 PM
noobman

Does this apply to HECC certifications as well?

The HECC certification on my helmet expires at the end of this year, and I was hoping to trade it in for a new helmet come January.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:25 PM
raganblink

hecc and csa are different. one america one canada.
you don't need a new helmet just because the certification is expiring. as long as you don't play in a competitive league you're fine. they just put expirations on that to make more money. same with this right here.

as someone who works at a lhs, thank god we only bought certified crap, as we'd be pretty pissed.

whats bs about this is, booking orders were placed months ago and are coming in across us and canada. so owners of shops who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on gear would be upset if they bought stuff and they cant sell it. however though, there aren't many things that aren't hecc/csa certified anymore. this just screws small companies that didn't get stuff certified b/c of costs. the non-certified stuff is typically the cheapest gear out there, so its not that big of a deal.
doesn't surprise me though, at all. scam to make more $$

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote