HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo signed extension with canucks

Old
06-25-2009, 08:22 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
It's not "illegal" it's just that the contract isn't technically VALID until July 1st. I would believe they can agree in principle and sign the contract but they probably can't DATE it yet. If it's dated TODAY then yes, it would be in violation of the CBA and not valid, however if they filled the date in on July 1st then bingo, you have your signed deal. player signs now and the agent and GM date the contract and file it on July 1st.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:23 PM
CloutierForVezina

It really wouldn't suprise me if Gillis gave him direct orders to deny any talks of an extension. As soon as news gets out that Luongo is signed long term, Schneider's value goes down because other teams realize he's redundant.

CloutierForVezina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
It really wouldn't suprise me if Gillis gave him direct orders to deny any talks of an extension. As soon as news gets out that Luongo is signed long term, Schneider's value goes down because other teams realize he's redundant.
Why would his value go down exactly?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:30 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
because teams realize he's redundant says the Alberta Hockey fan commenting on Canuck player.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Wouldn't the fact that Vancouver is [/would be] seriously considering any offers for Schneider be enough of a signal in and of itself? GM's around the league are smart enough to know that him being moved means Luongo's position is pretty secure.

The value will be there as long as there is competition for him. What other high-end goalie prospects are going to be available, other than Harding and Gus if that's what you consider them?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:32 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

avs fans still bitter about steve moore.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Foy

Quote:
Well its not like they can't talk about an extension prior to July 1st, they just can't actually put pen on paper until July 1st.

Its not like Luongo's rights are owned by another team.
Actually, they are not allowed to talk about it. They aren't allowed to begin contract negotiations until after July 1.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Same reason why Heatley's value went down when he demanded a trade, in my mind. When other teams know a club either has to trade a player, or no longer has a use for a player, they can play hardball a little easier because they know the canucks aren't just going to keep a valuable asset like Schneider stuck behind one of the best goalies in the league. They know the canucks want to move him and the canucks can play it a little more smoothly if they hold their cards closer to their chest.

I could be wrong and I freely admit this, but none of us really know how GM negotiations go and what actually effects what. But my logic makes sense to me. Feel free to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
because teams realize he's redundant says the Alberta Hockey fan commenting on Canuck player.
Because it's impossible to move anywhere, at anytime, ever.

Thank you very much for the helpful insight into my background.

Refute my point, if you will, but don't spew stupidity. There's already enough of it on HFBoards.

Old
06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Viller

Holmgren better get on the phones for Schneider then.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Wouldn't the fact that Vancouver is [/would be] seriously considering any offers for Schneider be enough of a signal in and of itself? GM's around the league are smart enough to know that him being moved means Luongo's position is pretty secure.

The value will be there as long as there is competition for him. What other high-end goalie prospects are going to be available, other than Harding and Gus if that's what you consider them?
Very well could be. We don't know which party asked for schneider though. If Gillis is trying to make a trade and the other team asks for Schneider he could make the case that Schneider is far more valuable to the long term health of the club with Luongo's contract status up in the air.

Old
06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Starrlinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
avs fans still bitter about steve moore.
And Canuck fans are complaining about others taking this off topic?

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Jonathan Iilahti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Actually, they are not allowed to talk about it. They aren't allowed to begin contract negotiations until after July 1.
Luongo is still under contract for one more year. They can negotiate all they want.

Jonathan Iilahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:59 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I wonder if Schneider has value similar to Harding?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:04 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I wonder if Schneider has value similar to Harding?
I would imagine slightly less. Talk all you want about Harding being a product of the system in minesotta, but his NHL numbers have been superb so far. 920 sv% and 2.21 GAA in ~60 NHL games are pretty decent.

The reservations about Harding seems to be wether or not he will able to shoulder the starting job for an NHL team as his only season where he played a lot of games (2007-2008, 29 games), his numbers looked a lot less stellar. I'd imagine the same reservations would be in place but amplified for schneider because he has yet to prove that his game can translate into the NHL level in any form.

Old
06-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
It's not "illegal" it's just that the contract isn't technically VALID until July 1st. I would believe they can agree in principle and sign the contract but they probably can't DATE it yet. If it's dated TODAY then yes, it would be in violation of the CBA and not valid, however if they filled the date in on July 1st then bingo, you have your signed deal. player signs now and the agent and GM date the contract and file it on July 1st.
Rumour: Gillis is contemplating filing formal tampering charges against Mike Gillis and the Vancouver Canucks for attempting to talk contract with Luongo before July 1st.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
this is just false information.

They can't sign him to a new contract until July 1st... but the Canucks hold his rights... it's not like he's a UFA who's rights are owned by another team and therefore can't talk to him until July 1st.

He is current Canuck property. They can negotiate all the they want with him, it's just that the league won't approve any contract signed prior to July 1st for him.

Gillis has already confirmed today that he's had discussions with his agent (even though his agent said they haven't talked). Gillis was asked about Luongo during an interview with NHL live this afternoon.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
this is just false information.

They can't sign him to a new contract until July 1st... but the Canucks hold his rights... it's not like he's a UFA who's rights are owned by another team and therefore can't talk to him until July 1st.

He is current Canuck property. They can negotiate all the they want with him, it's just that the league won't approve any contract signed prior to July 1st for him.

Gillis has already confirmed today that he's had discussions with his agent (even though his agent said they haven't talked). Gillis was asked about Luongo during an interview with NHL live this afternoon.
I don't understand why his agent would deny the talks if there is no penalty for it. He must have thought Gillis wanted it that way?

Last edited by Moore Money: 06-25-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I have a hard time believing this. I just can't see Luongo committing to the Canucks before there team is intact. I was always under the impression he wanted to goto a true contender, and if the Canucks can't sign the Sedins then I can't see Luongo sticking around.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:36 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I have a hard time believing this. I just can't see Luongo committing to the Canucks before there team is intact. I was always under the impression he wanted to goto a true contender, and if the Canucks can't sign the Sedins then I can't see Luongo sticking around.
But what if they land a Bouwmeester/Gaborik/Both to offset the loss of the Sedins?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
But what if they land a Bouwmeester/Gaborik/Both to offset the loss of the Sedins?
then they better also have a deal on the table for a #1 center

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote