Notices

OT: Favorite Orange County Restaurants

Old
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Jerky Leclerc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
I dont think Wahoo's is anything special.
I agree but I think it depends on what flavor you are looking. Wahoo is fish tacos for the Anglos. I used to work in the barrios of LA and used to frequent the local Mariscos with my Mex buddies. Ahh the flavor of fish tacos and cerviche. Go to the mom and pops restaurant and get grandma's homemade tortilla, mix it with the rice and beans, and wash it down with a cerveza. For me, that's good eating.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 06:18 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

For chain fresh mex, wahoo is good.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:04 AM
psg

Quote:
As a fish taco connoisseur, my favorite fish tacos are at Fred's Mexican Cafe in Pacific Beach. I haven't dined at the Huntington or Laguna locations so I can't vouch for those. But I like Wahoo's for quick and easy fish tacos, especially after a long hike or day on the slopes. Wahoo's tacos and their beans are a little lighter than the traditional faire too, which isn't a bad thing.

Best steak I've ever had was, at all places, Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill @ Caesar's. Huge, perfectly grilled, and tasty New York strip. They don't even serve sides with it, just a huge ass steak.

I finally moved back to OC this week. I can see Angel Stadium and Honda Center from my balcony, so this is pretty cool. I haven't really dined in this area for years, so this thread is of interest for me. Me and the girl will have to do some field research...

psg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Pucking Dutchman

Just wanted to add these two:

Best Italian: Trattoria Barolo (Orange)
Best steak: Tartan Room (Orange)

I agree about Lucille's for bbq. Walt's Wharf in Seal Beach is excellent for fish.

Still looking for my favorite pizza place. I like Zito's but it's not awesome. Someone should bring the donair pizza from the Maritimes to OC...

Pucking Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post
As a fish taco connoisseur, my favorite fish tacos are at Fred's Mexican Cafe in Pacific Beach. I haven't dined at the Huntington or Laguna locations so I can't vouch for those. But I like Wahoo's for quick and easy fish tacos, especially after a long hike or day on the slopes. Wahoo's tacos and their beans are a little lighter than the traditional faire too, which isn't a bad thing.

Best steak I've ever had was, at all places, Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill @ Caesar's. Huge, perfectly grilled, and tasty New York strip. They don't even serve sides with it, just a huge ass steak.

I finally moved back to OC this week. I can see Angel Stadium and Honda Center from my balcony, so this is pretty cool. I haven't really dined in this area for years, so this thread is of interest for me. Me and the girl will have to do some field research...

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
The Fish Tacos are designed for nutrition and taste. Then again, I love putting at least a half a bottle of Cholula on my fish Tacos when I go there...

Old
06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
The Fish Tacos are designed for nutrition and taste. Then again, I love putting at least a half a bottle of Cholula on my fish Tacos when I go there...
Now that i think about it the Fish Sandwich is really good there actually

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Say wha?

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:16 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Let's talk Chinese food.

Shanghainese food: 3.6.9 in Anaheim. Get the kung pao chicken, and the beef soup noodles. I also like the tofu (3 types: family style, Hong Kong shredded, or garlic shredded). Dried string beans. Potstickers are good.

Kim Su in Westminster has some good dishes. French style beef, salt and pepper shrimp, and black bean clams.

Not in OC, but close by is Ten Ten in Artesia. Good Cantonese food. Try the lobster (either house style or ginger-green onion). Salt and pepper squid or pork chops. Seafood chow mein ("2 side yellow" for a more authentic version that's not completely crispy). If you're feeling adventurous, there's also a Szechuan style seafood/tofu hot pot that's very good.

I'm not a barbeque connoisseur, but Blake's in Anaheim Hills is pretty good. Atmosphere kind of sucks if you wanna impress someone (it's a take out place that looks more like a Roundtable Pizza or something).

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Dirk316

Back to Mexican Food - (Highly Recommended) Super Pollo in Costa Mesa. Some of the best chicken in any Mexican food place and really decent fish as well.

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:52 AM
dre2112

For non gourmet pizza I love First Class Pizza. I was sad that they got replaced by Oggi's at the Honda Center.

dre2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
I was sad that they got replaced by Oggi's at the Honda Center.
Same here. That First Class Pizza was damn good.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:03 PM
vroom96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
Same here. That First Class Pizza was damn good.
I second that. Oggi's pizza at the Honda Center was definitely a step down.

Speaking of pizza, anyone tried Mozza in LA? That place matched all the hype I had read online. Best crust ever.

vroom96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
It's a french restaurant in the Paris hotel, if it's a nice day you should sit outside... you get a great view of the Bellagio water fountains.
Just came back from Vegas and the restaurant was terrific. I had the Filet with the red wine reduction sauce and it was very good. I didn't care much for the fritas though. I highly recommend this place. Thanks for the tip.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Just came back from Vegas and the restaurant was terrific. I had the Filet with the red wine reduction sauce and it was very good. I didn't care much for the fritas though. I highly recommend this place. Thanks for the tip.
Glad you liked it.

If you go back ask for mashed potatoes instead of the fritas.

Old
06-25-2009, 12:14 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

So after everyone here (and independently at work) has been raving about Lucille's, I decided to give it a try. The parking lot was full. Waited in line for a Wednesday. Seemed like a good start.

But I wasn't that impressed. It was just OK. Now the chicken was excellent. Some of the best restaurant BBQ chicken I've had. But the ribs/brisket/beans/etc were just good.

I just have to reiterate my vote for Blake's Place in Anaheim (and apparently also Chino).

http://www.blakesplacebbq.com/

The restaurant kind of sucks. It looks like a Round Table Pizza. Not particularly good atmosphere or anything. But the meat is much better than Lucille's (that's what she said).

Old
06-25-2009, 12:55 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
So after everyone here (and independently at work) has been raving about Lucille's, I decided to give it a try. The parking lot was full. Waited in line for a Wednesday. Seemed like a good start.

But I wasn't that impressed. It was just OK. Now the chicken was excellent. Some of the best restaurant BBQ chicken I've had. But the ribs/brisket/beans/etc were just good.
Lucille's is merely a decent chain BBQ place. But only decent.

But hey, decent is usually as good as it gets for California BBQ. Truth is, this is a lousy state for serious BBQ ... you can probably count the topnotch places on one hand, with fingers to spare. I'm lucky, I know a guy who opened a Memphis-style BBQ place up here in NoCal that got rated #1 in the western US, but honestly there's nothing in SoCal that compares.

Actually now that I've been in NoCal for a few years, I can definitively say that the food up here kicks the snot out of its counterparts down south. Just the way it is.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 06:52 AM
xxgt465xx

Chinese- Peking Dragon (Dana Point)

Mexican- La Siesta, Pedro's Tacos, Chronic Tacos, Wahoo's, El Mariachi (All in San Clemente)

Pizza- Pizza Port, La Rocco's (Both in San Clemente)

Italian- Sonny's (San Clemente)

The best all around restaurant has to be Antoine's Cafe. That place has burgers, tacos, soups, salads, etc. and you need to try it.

xxgt465xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Go_Krog*

Oami sushi in el toro is probably best/least pretentious sushi place ive been to anywhere.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Corgidequebec

Felix Cafe in Orange has killer Cuban food at good prices and outside dining as well...to bad I moved to Boston...I miss it!

Corgidequebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post

But hey, decent is usually as good as it gets for California BBQ. Truth is, this is a lousy state for serious BBQ ... you can probably count the topnotch places on one hand, with fingers to spare. I'm lucky, I know a guy who opened a Memphis-style BBQ place up here in NoCal that got rated #1 in the western US, but honestly there's nothing in SoCal that compares.

Actually now that I've been in NoCal for a few years, I can definitively say that the food up here kicks the snot out of its counterparts down south. Just the way it is.
Pretty much... the BBQ isn't great here.

The best chain in my opinion is Wood Ranch, they're pretty good.

Old
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
rockusmaximus06

Quote:
Let's talk Chinese food.

Shanghainese food: 3.6.9 in Anaheim. Get the kung pao chicken, and the beef soup noodles. I also like the tofu (3 types: family style, Hong Kong shredded, or garlic shredded). Dried string beans. Potstickers are good.

Kim Su in Westminster has some good dishes. French style beef, salt and pepper shrimp, and black bean clams.

Not in OC, but close by is Ten Ten in Artesia. Good Cantonese food. Try the lobster (either house style or ginger-green onion). Salt and pepper squid or pork chops. Seafood chow mein ("2 side yellow" for a more authentic version that's not completely crispy). If you're feeling adventurous, there's also a Szechuan style seafood/tofu hot pot that's very good.

I'm not a barbeque connoisseur, but Blake's in Anaheim Hills is pretty good. Atmosphere kind of sucks if you wanna impress someone (it's a take out place that looks more like a Roundtable Pizza or something).
369 is hands down the best Chinese restaurant I've been to, I highly recommend it

Ten Ten in Artesia is good as well, in fact it's only 5 minutes from my house!

rockusmaximus06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 11:31 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post

I dunno. I didn't like Mexican or Chinese food as much there as in So Cal. Although most of the rest is true (pizza, Korean, sushi to name a few).

Old
06-25-2009, 11:45 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
I dunno. I didn't like Mexican or Chinese food as much there than on So Cal. Although most of the rest is true (pizza, Korean to name a couple).
Chinese (and perhaps also Japanese) food in general is better in SoCal, yes. The best is comparable to the best in SoCal, but the average place is more mediocre than in SoCal.

But for Mexican, you gotta get up to wine country ... with all the illegal vineyard workers around, it's not surprising that the Mexican food is quite excellent. Although I'm pretty sure the burritos are made better when you place your call-in order in Spanish.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote