Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 10 from Quebec

06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Go Habs Go
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
re: Roussel

here's my take, I think a lot of it depends on when you saw him. I had the word 'tentative' beside his name in my notes, but my impression of him was that he's still trying to find balance in his game. When Roussel went into corners, it wasn't like he was being out-muscled for the puck as much as he looked (to me) like he was holding back really mixing it up with the other guy. I interpreted it as him not wanting to take a penalty and hurt the team/already been chewed out for being too aggressive and taking penalties. It always looked to me like he was just holding back.
What's your take on Despres and what impact do you think having a new coach will mean for him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
06-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What's your take on Despres and what impact do you think having a new coach will mean for him.
I like Despres. When you consider his hip injury that he played with since December, coupled with the increased responsibilities he had after Grant and Amyot were dealt away, it explains a lot on why his play (as well as his stock) dropped in the second half of the season. The over-worked, ineffective Despres at the end of the year and at the U-18s is not a reflection on what an NHL team will actually get when they draft him. If his lowered ranking does come true on draft day, Despres could be a steal.

I'm looking forward to see what Saint John looks like with a new coach. At times, I felt some of their players were misused in different ways. Despres was likely over-worked a bit or at the very least hammered into a role that he really didn't fit into. I really think his future is as a defensive defenseman, because although he's shown some smarts with puckmoving, he doesn't really have that extra bit offensively to be a reliable two-way guy, at least not yet.

It's possible we don't have a clear picture on who Despres is, due to the hip injury and the workload.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote