HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Baizley: "Koivu wants to stay in Montreal."

Old
06-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
You've really read into that, added your own spin, and then filled in the blanks to come up with that.

Seems a much easier read of that comment would be Koivu saying, well, I've spent my entire career here, so I think if the team wants to retain me, they would chat with me before I became an unrestricted free agent. If they haven't, it would seem to indicate they are going in another direction.

To take his comment and call it "an ultimatum" is really quite silly.
That's exactly why I didn't filled any blanks that I'm coming to that conclusion. He didn't say "If they don't chat with me" he's talking about having to be signed prior to July 1st.

And again, how the heck not signing prior to July 1st automatically means that we are going in another direction? And what if you would have liked to but can't? So let's say Habs are interested in Lecavalier right now but see that just before July 1st it won't happen. Then the Sedin twins but they choose another team on July 2nd. Do we agree right now that both Lecavalier and the Sedin scenarios would make our team better than with Koivu? But if those doesn't work, let say between Cammalleri and Koivu some could go one way or the other. So maybe at worst, Koivu is Plan C. He's still in Gainey plans, but maybe not as A or B. He's still respecting Koivu a whole lot 'cause he would actually preferring him to much superior players at least at this time of their respective career.

And where the heck am I mentioning an ultimatum? What's the thread title again? We are talking about Koivu who WANTS to stay in Montreal. I just believe that with a comment that he made, he wouldn't mind coming back like he wouldn't mind going in a different direction even if he's open to come back.

But you can read what you want to read, add your own spin and fill the blanks as much as you can on my comment. I just know that if I would want to play for a team, I would give them any chance to have me before and after July 1st. It's funny that we keep reading how hockey is just now a business but in Koivu's case, it's impossible that he would have any sorts of business thinking as far as this negotiation is concerned.

By the way, for a guy like him who like you said gave his all to this team, that his the captain of your team and is about to be the longest serving captain of this team, that gave his health and great hockey to this team, wouldn't you already be pissed that you'd be put in the same priority list as Kovalev and Schneider? The way we heard it, there are really negotiating with Komi. Then will be making a small push with 3 or 4 including Koivu. I'm sorry but 3 days prior to July 1st, it's an invitation to go and see what's out there. Wouldn't you be tempted to see what other teams and what kind of contract you'd be having elsewhere? At this point, not having started the discussions or just being at the point that Gainey said he was with them, is already an indication that both sides should freely look at their options.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:16 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And again, how the heck not signing prior to July 1st automatically means that we are going in another direction?
Are you seriously asking? He's the captain of the team and his spent his entire career with the organization. He re-signed with the team several times, never with any issue. Right now he's on the verge of unrestricted free agency and the ability to sign anywhere in the league. The Canadiens have an exclusive negotiating window that closes on July 1st.

If you can't figure out how not signing him prior to that constitutes Koivu getting a loud and clear message that the team might be moving in another direction, then there's nothing I can say that will explain it to you.

Quote:
What if you would have liked to but can't? So let's say Habs are interested in Lecavalier right now but see that just before July 1st it won't happen. Then the Sedin twins but they choose another team on July 2nd. Do we agree right now that both Lecavalier and the Sedin scenarios would make our team better than with Koivu? But if those doesn't work, let say between Cammalleri and Koivu some could go one way or the other. So maybe at worst, Koivu is Plan C. He's still in Gainey plans, but maybe not as A or B. He's still respecting Koivu a whole lot 'cause he would actually preferring him to much superior players at least at this time of their respective career.
So you're saying it doesn't mean the team is going in another direction, it means the team really wants to go in another direction, and if they can't, and then plan B doesn't work, and they can't work out plan C either, then they might give him a call and make an offer? Are you serious with this? He's ******* captain of the team, a life-long Hab and the heart and soul of the organization. You don't leave him twisting in the wind. You make him an offer or you wish him the best of luck and thank him for the years of proud service. When he was talking about thinking he would be moving on if not signed by July 1st, it seems pretty clear, to me at least, that that is what he is saying.

Quote:
And where the heck am I mentioning an ultimatum?
Uh, post 39?

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Are you seriously asking? He's the captain of the team and his spent his entire career with the organization. He re-signed with the team several times, never with any issue. Right now he's on the verge of unrestricted free agency and the ability to sign anywhere in the league. The Canadiens have an exclusive negotiating window that closes on July 1st.

If you can't figure out how not signing him prior to that constitutes Koivu getting a loud and clear message that the team might be moving in another direction, then there's nothing I can say that will explain it to you.
Yes I'm asking 'cause to me giving him a phone call 3 days prior to July 1st is just as much of a sign that he might not be as important after all.

Quote:
So you're saying it doesn't mean the team is going in another direction, it means the team really wants to go in another direction, and if they can't, and then plan B doesn't work, and they can't work out plan C either, then they might give him a call and make an offer? Are you serious with this? He's ******* captain of the team, a life-long Hab and the heart and soul of the organization. You don't leave him twisting in the wind. You make him an offer or you wish him the best of luck and thank him for the years of proud service. When he was talking about thinking he would be moving on if not signed by July 1st, it seems pretty clear, to me at least, that that is what he is saying.
As important he was to this org., as many things he did for it AND NOBODY DENIES THAT, he's not getting any younger and if Gainey might see a window of opportunity that could solidify his team for the next 6-7 years at the expense of a guy who might, who surely is on the decline, would Gainey prefer to stick with him or try to improve his team? If a big #1 centerman is available (and would you agree that Lecavalier, Henrik Sedin and Marleau would be upgrades), wouldn't you take it? And then, if you really want to keep Koivu, you then have to trade Plekanec then? Or do you move Lapierre centering the 4th, Pleks the 3rd and Koivu the 2nd, but what do you do with Metropolit? Are you still at ease with Koivu on the 2nd? Or do you still envision him on the 1st, and because of everything you said he did would be giving him a 4-year contract at 4M$ per year?

Quote:
Uh, post 39?
Well you're totally right that I did say that. And definately was a bad choice of words 'cause that's not what I wanted to say. What I did want to say is what I expressed in my earlier post. Koivu was stating that he expects to be signed earlier 'cause if not, for him, he might have other interests that will not make Montreal is only destination. So again, totally bad choice of words on my part. Thanks for bringing it back in my face.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 09:07 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Yes I'm asking 'cause to me giving him a phone call 3 days prior to July 1st is just as much of a sign that he might not be as important after all.

As important he was to this org., as many things he did for it AND NOBODY DENIES THAT, he's not getting any younger and if Gainey might see a window of opportunity that could solidify his team for the next 6-7 years at the expense of a guy who might, who surely is on the decline, would Gainey prefer to stick with him or try to improve his team? If a big #1 centerman is available (and would you agree that Lecavalier, Henrik Sedin and Marleau would be upgrades), wouldn't you take it? And then, if you really want to keep Koivu, you then have to trade Plekanec then? Or do you move Lapierre centering the 4th, Pleks the 3rd and Koivu the 2nd, but what do you do with Metropolit? Are you still at ease with Koivu on the 2nd? Or do you still envision him on the 1st, and because of everything you said he did would be giving him a 4-year contract at 4M$ per year?

Well you're totally right that I did say that. And definately was a bad choice of words 'cause that's not what I wanted to say. What I did want to say is what I expressed in my earlier post. Koivu was stating that he expects to be signed earlier 'cause if not, for him, he might have other interests that will not make Montreal is only destination. So again, totally bad choice of words on my part. Thanks for bringing it back in my face.

It seems pretty clear to me, if Gainey acquires the C he wants, he then chooses whether to sign Koivu or deal Plekanec. Plekanec may go in any deal they make anyways. Until said deal is made or falls through, his hands are tied. If this irks Koivu as well it could, while understanding he may well decide that he can control his own destiny, he can do what he wants. There aren't any bad guys here, just circumstances, and the realities of the cap marketplace negating a sense of loyalty.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote