HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

I Agree with Rainer

Old
06-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

vCash: 500
I Agree with Rainer

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...draft_preview/

Hasn't been much discussion of Cowen lately, but I agree with Ranier: If* DL keeps the #5 pick, Cowen will be the BPA and Dean will take him.

Anyway, lots of uncertainty. Will be an exciting night.

*That's a BIG if. Most likely he will trade down IMO.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
D.a.r.e.!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Captain Ron

I would be shocked if Dean selected Cowen......defensemen take longer to develop than forwards do.....selecting someone like Cowen indicates to me that Dean does not see this team making a run until 2013 and beyond....does Dean really think he will still be a part of this organization in 2 years if that is his "vision"?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I will never be surprised by anything DL does ever again!

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I would be shocked if Dean selected Cowen......defensemen take longer to develop than forwards do.....selecting someone like Cowen indicates to me that Dean does not see this team making a run until 2013 and beyond....does Dean really think he will still be a part of this organization in 2 years if that is his "vision"?
Wow. You are really going overboard now, Captain. Taking D would indicate nothing other than he thinks the D man is the BPA and the most valuable asset he can grab. Did Dean touch you in a bad spot?

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
Wow. You are really going overboard now, Captain. Taking D would indicate nothing other than he thinks the D man is the BPA and the most valuable asset he can grab. Did Dean touch you in a bad spot?
One of Dean's biggest obsessions is talking about timelines.....forwards develop and peak faster than defensemen or goaltenders.......Which would make sense considering Dean drafted a goaltender in his first draft and defensemen in his next two drafts....but if he drafted a defenseman now it would indicate the rebuild might be taking longer than originally anticipated.....because players like Frolov, Brown and Kopitar will be on their decline when Cowen is entering his prime.

Old
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Lets not bring up painful memories for Squid.

Old
06-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
One of Dean's biggest obsessions is talking about timelines.....forwards develop and peak faster than defensemen or goaltenders.......Which would make sense considering Dean drafted a goaltender in his first draft and defensemen in his next two drafts....but if he drafted a defenseman now it would indicate the rebuild might be taking longer than originally anticipated.....because players like Frolov, Brown and Kopitar will be on their decline when Cowen is entering his prime.
No, it really wouldn't and you are again reaching for the worst possible conclusion because of your hatred of DL. Like I said, it would be a case of BPA and asset management. He has stated he leans D if the players are equal because A) they're harder to find and B) they're more valuable assets. So if he picks a D man it doesn't mean he is expecting to suck for another 3 years and it is ludicrous to assume so.

Old
06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
No, it really wouldn't and you are again reaching for the worst possible conclusion because of your hatred of DL. Like I said, it would be a case of BPA and asset management. He has stated he leans D if the players are equal because A) they're harder to find and B) they're more valuable assets. So if he picks a D man it doesn't mean he is expecting to suck for another 3 years and it is ludicrous to assume so.
Dean has stated he wants to build a team through the draft....right?

Well drafting a bunch of defensemen with the Kings 1st round picks is not going to accomplish that goal. Unless he believes that the Kings are going to win every game 1-0. You can use the BPA argument all you want....but when a team's biggest weakness is in it's forward group that will become part of the equation.....using your logic of BPA you would think it is OK to draft a goaltender with your 1st pick for 5 consecutive drafts if that was the BPA when your team was drafting?.....The whole BPA argument is lame and it is not realistic.

Not to mention if you read the link by David you would realize his logic for drafting Cowen is he thinks the Kings will be trading away one or more of the Kings defensemen this offseason. I cannot see Dean drafting a defenseman based on a trade that may or may not happen over the next 3 months.

Last edited by Captain Ron: 06-26-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old
06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I don't think Cowan should be considered BPA until you reach the 6-10 spots. It should be a moot point for LA at this stage.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I don't think Cowan should be considered BPA until you reach the 6-10 spots. It should be a moot point for LA at this stage.
Other than THN no scouting service has Cowen ranked higher than #7.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
not tellin*

cowan would only BPA if the kings have traded down.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Dean has stated he wants to build a team through the draft....right?

Well drafting a bunch of defensemen with the Kings 1st round picks is not going to accomplish that goal. Unless he believes that the Kings are going to win every game 1-0. You can use the BPA argument all you want....but when a team's biggest weakness is in it's forward group that will become part of the equation.....using your logic of BPA you would think it is OK to draft a goaltender with your 1st pick for 5 consecutive drafts if that was the BPA when your team was drafting?.....The whole BPA argument is lame and it is not realistic.

As it stands, nobody expects Schenn/Kane to step in for at least 2-3 years so what does that signal? Not trading the pick must mean DL is planning on sucking for a few more years, right?

Just horrible, horrible logic on your part.

For the record, I'm salivating over Schenn/Kane and would be pretty unhappy if it plays out differently. I just don't think it would be this dire signal as you're erroneously proposing.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
As it stands, nobody expects Schenn/Kane to step in for at least 2-3 years so what does that signal? Not trading the pick must mean DL is planning on sucking for a few more years, right?

Just horrible, horrible logic on your part.
Now you are just making things up. I guess people just hate when I am right.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Other than THN no scouting service has Cowen ranked higher than #7.
Alot of pundits feel he would have been a top 5 if not for the knee injury, or was it just THN?

Old
06-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Alot of pundits feel he would have been a top 5 if not for the knee injury.
A valid point...but I could just as easily say that any of the top 30 players would be ranked in the top 5 if not for some injury or bad stretch of games.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Now you are just making things up. I guess people just hate when I am right.
LMAO, you're insane. I haven't been reading that these guys are supposed to step in right away, I guess you've read differently.

Regardless of that, you're still wrong and your logic sucks. You're like an emotional woman whenever it comes to a discussion of DL and his methods. Take some midol and chill.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Pucknut50

Unless DL trades #5 to get a top six forward he has to take Schenn. After watching all the top players and also the interviews, Schenn really impresses me as a player with a high hockey IQ. There is no Drew Doughty in my mind Schenn will be a top 6 forward in the NHL with 30 goal 50 assist potential.

Draft Schenn, pick up Lappy and Gaborik UFA, sign Frolov and Johnson and were set to go.

Gaborik/Kopitar/Williams
Frolov/Stoll/Brown
Boyle/Handzus/Simmonds
Moller/Lappy/Lewis

Johnson/Doughty
Quincey/Greene
Hickey/O'Donnell
Drewiske

Last edited by Pucknut50: 06-26-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

DL seemed to like Cowan and there could be scenarios where we come away with him but I think Schenn is the guy everyone covets. IF LA has a chance to grab him I highly doubt they take a pass.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
LMAO, you're insane. I haven't been reading that these guys are supposed to step in right away, I guess you've read differently.

Regardless of that, you're still wrong and your logic sucks. You're like an emotional woman whenever it comes to a discussion of DL and his methods. Take some midol and chill.
This had nothing to do with bashing Dean...that was something you brought up....it is about building a team that can compete within a specified timeline.....drafting a bunch of defensemen who traditionally take longer to develop than forwards does not fit into a plan of trying to build a team through the draft that is capable of winning the Stanley Cup in the next 5 years.

You may not agree with my logic...but I have had a better track record of predicting the success (or lack thereof) of the Kings over the past 6 years than 90% of the people on this board.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:24 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
but I have had a better track record of predicting the success (or lack thereof) of the Kings over the past 6 years than 90% of the people on this board.
So its YOUR fault we've missed the playoffs for 6 years!

Logic is fun...

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
This had nothing to do with bashing Dean...that was something you brought up....it is about building a team that can compete within a specified timeline.....drafting a bunch of defensemen who traditionally take longer to develop than forwards does not fit into a plan of trying to build a team through the draft that is capable of winning the Stanley Cup in the next 5 years.

You may not agree with my logic...but I have had a better track record of predicting the success (or lack thereof) of the Kings over the past 6 years than 90% of the people on this board.
Your point was that DL wouldn't be looking to compete now and you mentioned him not being around if this was his, "vision." Sure seems like it concerns DL and a bit of bashing to me. I'm sure only PSP has a better track record since he's always been a pessimist while your path to the dark side didn't begin until a screen name change or two.

Whatever, not worth continued argument, we're never gonna agree on this point as I simply cannot fathom what kind of logic would lead to that twisted conclusion. I apologize for being insulting btw, I'm just worked up 'cause it isn't 4 yet.

If only the draft would get here already.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Your point was that DL wouldn't be looking to compete now and you mentioned him not being around if this was his, "vision." Sure seems like it concerns DL and a bit of bashing to me. I'm sure only PSP has a better track record since he's always been a pessimist while your path to the dark side didn't begin until a screen name change or two.
The point I was making was that dean would not make a move like this because he needs to shore up the offense of the team over the next 2-3 years if this team is going to have a shot at accomplishing what he is envisioning for them. If Dean drafts a defenseman with the 5th overall pick it would show indications that the offense would be behind schedule....I then was insinuating that if this rebuild falls behind schedule much more than it already has there is a very real possibility that Dean will not be with the organization long enough to see his plan come to fruition.

Quote:
Whatever, not worth continued argument, we're never gonna agree on this point as I simply cannot fathom what kind of logic would lead to that twisted conclusion. I apologize for being insulting btw, I'm just worked up 'cause it isn't 4 yet.

If only the draft would get here already.
At least we can agree on something.

Old
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Kingjordan

Kane or Schenn or MSP please !!!!!

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Face Wash

I think if the Kings are in a position to draft Schenn at #5 (i.e. - no one traded up to get him) DL will wait to see how much blood he can drain from his buddy in TOR before making the pick... Ya know, like the 7th pick, the 50th pick, & their #1 in '10....

Not saying that's the offer or whatever, but if that scenario presents itself, I'm quite sure DL loosens the turnicate and lets BB bleed....

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote