HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Goalie coach) Reggie Lemelin fired!

Old
06-26-2009, 12:32 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
In the practices I've been to. The goalies didn't do any drills except save some shots, and skate. Some coach.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 07:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
None of that means he won't do a good job here, but Lemelin was given alright but not great talent on the whole, and, generally, got good to great production out of our goaltenders...yet he gets vilified? I'm not saying Lemelin is anything special, but I don't think pointing at TB is really something Reese should be all that proud of the moment Khabi left town.
Yeah, but how many of them did he go through? I could see being around a while, and I can see having to coach a lot of goalies, but I think there's a problem when he's having to work with new goalies every season. For a team who gets great production from goalies, you'd think one of them could be the starter for more than 2 seasons before he is jettisoned by the guy who was his backup (in most cases).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:07 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1445
These are the only quotes I've seen attributed to Lemelin:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...der_coach.html
Quote:

Lemelin said he saw Holmgren talking with Reese during a Flyers game in Tampa last season "so maybe it's not something that just came up."

Lemelin, who won 236 games during a 15-year NHL career, was baffled by his dismissal. He said he “tried to dig a little deeper” into the reasons for the firing, “but never got any answer. He (Holmgren) said you’ve been here a long time and he needed to do something different, something new.”

Speaking via telephone from his Massachusetts home, Lemelin said: “They never gave any indication I was doing a bad job. I was pretty much on my own and everything seemed fine. I got along with my goalies very well and got along great with the other coaches. This came out of the blue a little.

“I don’t know if my age was a factor, but I thought I related very well” with the goalies.

Holmgren said Lemelin didn't disagree with the Flyers' decision to bring in controversial goalie Ray Emery. He said the goalie change had “nothing to do” with the coaching switch.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:19 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i'm glad lemelin is gone, but is reese really any better?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
These are the only quotes I've seen attributed to Lemelin:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...der_coach.html
Frankly I'm surprised that Lemelin was in TB to see that... From what I gathered, Reggie was pretty much a remote coach, not living in the area, and not being a day in/day out coach who was there for anything the Flyers and/or Phantoms goalies required.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think that a coach, and especially one with a 15 year tenure, would reside in the city of his employment... and travel at times with the team. Maybe the Mass. residence was an off-season one, IDK, but from my understanding Reggie was not really a 'full time' coach in a daily regiment.

Now, that said; I have no idea if the next coach (?Reese) will move in area and be more available.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Frankly I'm surprised that Lemelin was in TB to see that... From what I gathered, Reggie was pretty much a remote coach, not living in the area, and not being a day in/day out coach who was there for anything the Flyers and/or Phantoms goalies required.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think that a coach, and especially one with a 15 year tenure, would reside in the city of his employment... and travel at times with the team. Maybe the Mass. residence was an off-season one, IDK, but from my understanding Reggie was not really a 'full time' coach in a daily regiment.

Now, that said; I have no idea if the next coach (?Reese) will move in area and be more available.
Did Eric Desjardins live in the area this past season or was he living in Canada? It could be unrelated but I wonder if those two events are connected in some way. Maybe the team wanted a commitment in a sense where coaches would be with the team more often (if that wasn't the case).

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
No, because Desjardins is a part-time coach. He still lives in Quebec. Unless something changed.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Did Eric Desjardins live in the area this past season or was he living in Canada? It could be unrelated but I wonder if those two events are connected in some way. Maybe the team wanted a commitment in a sense where coaches would be with the team more often (if that wasn't the case).
I don't believe Rico lived in the area full time during that employment... BUT, until Hatch took over that position, my belief was that it was a part-time position that was for instruction mainly at Camp. I don't in any way see his coaching role as having been on par with Reggie's; it was what it was going in.

I do however see the position opening up in scope with Hatcher's appointment... Hatch will travel to the 'A' and do scouting, as well as work with the Flyers roster -- mainly the D-men -- as I understand it. It is possible that the change was made to allow an expanded role... but my guess is that had Rico not had other business opportunities, the Flyers would have established another position for Hatch that included what he now has. The Flyers being a loyal 'family' organization would spend the money for both, IMO.

I don't doubt that the thinking that a coach should be local and on call at most times could have played a part in Lemelin's dismissal... if Reese, or whomever, will be relocating to the Delaware Valley.

Again I must stress that I am not 100% sure Reggie was no living in the area during the season... it is only the impression I got. I have to be totally fair here.

Old
06-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No, because Desjardins WAS a part-time coach. He still liveD in Quebec. Unless something changed.
Fixed... Rico was replaced due to his business opportunities arising, as reported by the Flyers.