HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who else will be cut?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Who else will be cut?

We are down to 26 players right now, Ftorek has stated that he would like to carry 20 to 22 players going into the regular season. What 4 (at least) players do you feel will get the cut and why?

Spencer is a nice physical defensmen, something we have tons of. I know he had a strong camp but he really didn't have that good of a chance.

Cole is a defensmen that I really like but in order for him to develop he needs to get ice time. Brooks is a perfect #7/#8 defensmen, you don't want Cole to be that player.

Clouthier is a decent hockey player but I think Janssen and Skrlac are our 1/2 punch in terms of fighting roles. After that there isn't much room for him even if he is a fan favorite.

Nittel just struggled alot with his consistancy and untill he proves he can light up the ECHL then we shouldn't give him a roster spot. He is as raw a PF prospect as you get.

Old
10-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Here is my opening night roster if Foster is healthy to play:

Pihlman - Parise - Pikkarainen
McAmmond - Khomutov - Suglobov
Rheaume - Foster - Voros
Murphy - Janssen
Scratches: Skrlac, Johansson

Hale - Schultz
Allen - Kesa
Redlihs - DeMarchi
Scratches: Brooks

Ahonen
Clemmensen

Reasoning:

1st line : Give this line a little more time to work. Pihlman and Pikkarainen are physical enough to create space for Parise to work. If the Finns come into their own this could be a lethal combo.

2nd line : It is obvious to many that Khomutov and Suglobov seem to work well. They have played big parts in every game, both can finish so this is a double edged duo. McAmmond adds alot of speed own the left wing with smooth playmakeing ability.

3rd line : Fosters best game was playing with Khomutov and Voros. One part of that line is still intact with Voros. Voros scores the majoity of his goals in front. Foster is said to be extremely smooth behind the net. With Rheaume's experience I hope for this to be a lethal secondary scoring line for Albany.

4th line : Since you can only dress 17 players I feel Murphy and Janssen would be best suited for this game. Murphy has shown great defensive skills over the past year and should work well with anyone. Janssen is a good energy player and should come in handy at some point.

1st pair : Hale and Schultz will be counted on to shutdown the Spezza line in game 1. Both these defensmen must play him physical and take away every bit of room Spezza thinks he can get.

2nd pair : Allen and Kesa should be a solid allround 2nd pair. They are physical, defensive and can chip in offensivly if needed.

3rd pair : DeMarchi and Redlihs will be counted on to provide offense from the blueline. Where Rredlihs messes up DeMarchi must be ready to cover for him. No better way to learn positioning then to be thrown to the wolves.

Starter : You have to go with Ahonen even with Clemmensen outplaying him in the preseason. Ahonen is the future and we don't want him to be put into the mentality of backup at the AHL level. Ahonen is a big time goaltender and will prove that this year.

Old
10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
We are down to 26 players right now, Ftorek has stated that he would like to carry 20 to 22 players going into the regular season. What 4 (at least) players do you feel will get the cut and why?

Spencer is a nice physical defensmen, something we have tons of. I know he had a strong camp but he really didn't have that good of a chance.

Cole is a defensmen that I really like but in order for him to develop he needs to get ice time. Brooks is a perfect #7/#8 defensmen, you don't want Cole to be that player.

Clouthier is a decent hockey player but I think Janssen and Skrlac are our 1/2 punch in terms of fighting roles. After that there isn't much room for him even if he is a fan favorite.

Nittel just struggled alot with his consistancy and untill he proves he can light up the ECHL then we shouldn't give him a roster spot. He is as raw a PF prospect as you get.
Nittel didn't play at all in the pre-season...I wonder if he's healthy?
But yeah, those look like the prime candidates if there are any additional cuts.

Old
10-14-2004, 10:07 AM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Judging by the updated roster it looks like they may have cut johansson (forgot about him) and spencer.

http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/pr...3&seasonid=555

edit: and parise gets his #11.

Last edited by ratsgirl: 10-14-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old
10-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Hellsempire

Adrian Foster is healthy for the first time in a longtime and will be in the lineup come Friday night... I hope he can stay healthy and have a break out year for the Rats... Plus having Parise there will help Foster do well IMO...

Old
10-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Adrian Foster is healthy for the first time in a longtime and will be in the lineup come Friday night... I hope he can stay healthy and have a break out year for the Rats... Plus having Parise there will help Foster do well IMO...
Sorry Hells.... Foster is hurt again. Shoulder. He missed the last two preseason games.

Old
10-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Defence first

vCash:
I was just thinking about this when reading another tread; why isn't paul Martin playing on the river rats team. There is alot of other player out there playing in the ahl. I don't think he would have been lost in waviers or anything because some of the other "star AHLer" like spezza have more games played in the NHL and they are also on there entry level contracts! werid! I think he should be on the team becasue he just like any other young defenseman needs time to develop.

Old
10-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Defence first

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise = The Future
I'm sure it would be good for him to be back in game situations on a nightly basis conditioning-wise, but really with the great season he had last year, he's not the kind of player that desperately needs more AHL seasoning imo. Not sure what he'd have more to prove at the AHL level considering he made the Young All Stars team right away, although the Rats would surely benefit from the offense he was showing us late in the season as well as the steady defensive play in the NHL and WJ's. I think you could even present a pretty good case for it being a borderline call having David Hale play out the season in the minors considering his solid rookie season by most accounts with the Devils- but he has more to gain then Martin at this point so its all good.
What is your opinion on the other good young AHLers. ie Spezza, Bowmeester. I think that both of thoses players might not "need" to be in the ahl.
I just think that it ia a mistake not having him on the rats this season. Maybe he will join later on in the season when he gets bored or something or maybe injuries (hope not though).

Old
10-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Sorry Hells.... Foster is hurt again. Shoulder. He missed the last two preseason games.

Aw man you got to be kidding me... This kid can't catch a break... Will he play in tomorrow's home opener of the season? I really think it has to be this season for Foster to have a breakout year... Too many injuries...

Old
10-15-2004, 07:52 AM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

from yesterday's transactions

Albany River Rats (AHL) - Assigned defenseman Steve Spencer to
South Carolina of the ECHL.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/st.htm

Closed Thread