HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Increases Salary Cap to $56.8M

Old
06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
The Judge

vCash: 500
NHL Increases Salary Cap to $56.8M

MONTREAL -- The NHL's salary cap for next season will be $56.8 million, a source told ESPN.com Friday.

The figure is a mere $100,000 increase from the cap total of last season.

Numbers crunchers from the NHL and the NHL Players' Association finalized the figure for the next season Thursday in New York.

The cap has risen for a fifth consecutive season since its implementation in 2005.

The salary cap debuted at $39 million for the 2005-06 season, the first season coming out of the lockout. It rose to $44 million for 2006-07 and to $50.3 million in 2007-08.

Pierre LeBrun covers the NHL for ESPN.com

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4290000

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:35 PM
riseandfall9

But the cap is going down.... I guess this is our cue to spend money on Calder and Handzus type players.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
But the cap is going down.... I guess this is our cue to spend money on Calder and Handzus type players.
Oh, it will most certainly go down, just this year isn't the year...

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Will we see a ton of 1 year deals offered?

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
As lame as it sounds, I think Crosby getting to the finals and winning the cup brought a lot of people out of the wood works. Its going to be interesting to see if it did some good for the NHL.

Old
06-26-2009, 01:44 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:

I still don't see how you or Lombardi or anyone can predict this. Revenue COULD be UP this year and it increases again...I don't feel like ranting about this again, but it is just a negotiating tactic...and its gonna tick the players off.

It was projected to go down by a couple million for next season. It didn't.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:53 PM
The Judge

My guess is - if the NHL's success continues..... salary cap will not go down unless another economic meltdown happens in the market. I mean major major meltdown.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Well, Lombardi uses the fact as a negotiating tactic, but I think most people agree that the numbers dictate a decrease sooner or later. Who knows when that may be or when the NHL will allow it, but the cap will not remain as high as it is forever.

Old
06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
My guess is - if the NHL's success continues..... salary cap will not go down unless another economic meltdown happens in the market. I mean major major meltdown.
We had a pretty major meltdown and the cap still went up.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
We had a pretty major meltdown and the cap still went up.
These things usually take time to sink in. That is like saying a couple years ago that in the U.S. we were having a meltdown but the dollar is still strong. Then the affects come to fruition and we are sitting on a recession and nobody believes it is strong now. It won't be chaos where it drops to $36 million or anything, but it definitely isn't going to continue it's trend of rising every year forever.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
These things usually take time to sink in. That is like saying a couple years ago that in the U.S. we were having a meltdown but the dollar is still strong. Then the affects come to fruition and we are sitting on a recession and nobody believes it is strong now. It won't be chaos where it drops to $36 million or anything, but it definitely isn't going to continue it's trend of rising every year forever.
This may be true....but I do not see a dramatic drop in the near future either....maybe a $2 or 3 million drop.....nothing to cause major havoc in the NHL.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
This may be true....but I do not see a dramatic drop in the near future either....maybe a $2 or 3 million drop.....nothing to cause major havoc in the NHL.
...and certainly no reason to hold off adding pieces that make your team better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
T2M

Where I think we may see the drop is in this year's advertising revenues. If I remember correctly (and I could be very wrong on this), advertising was bought for the season before the financial crisis hit. This year, if companies are playing it closer to the vest they may think that this is the cut to make. If that's the case, then I would think that revenues are going to be hit hard because there are plenty of NHL cities that are going to be seeing dropping attendance as the effects of the recession start hitting home.

T2M

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:34 PM
DeeMeck

Which ticks me off about what he said at the GM breakfast. He has no reason to be gunshy due to the cap falling.

I am in full agreement with DL if he turns down a trade because he doesn't feel the value is right, but if he used the falling cap as an excuse on why he didn't sign or trade someone to make the team better...then off the deep end I go

Old
06-26-2009, 02:36 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
Where I think we may see the drop is in this year's advertising revenues. If I remember correctly (and I could be very wrong on this), advertising was bought for the season before the financial crisis hit. This year, if companies are playing it closer to the vest they may think that this is the cut to make. If that's the case, then I would think that revenues are going to be hit hard because there are plenty of NHL cities that are going to be seeing dropping attendance as the effects of the recession start hitting home.

T2M
Sooo...if they played it tighter on advertising...but still turn the same revenue at the gate and jersey sales...then they actually make MORE money and the cap goes up.

Hockey fans aren't as passive as fans in other sports. You're gonna see the same people buying merchandise and attending games regardless of how much you spend on advertising.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:43 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

But...But....But...the cap is falling...the cap is falling.

Now, I am very much worried that we wont be able to sign our UFA's and RFA's in 2012-2013 and beyond at this rate. We better not spend any money on free agents because we might, MIGHT, be handcuffed then.

Jeez, o.k., so it drops a few million next year. Guess DL/JS concern and talk about the cap dropping to 48MM is useless now, and the strategy about poaching good players for not that much from "cap hell" teams just went out the window.

SO, . . . Now, Can you say Gaborik or Hossa? I knew you could. I just don't know if Dean can.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Sooo...if they played it tighter on advertising...but still turn the same revenue at the gate and jersey sales...then they actually make MORE money and the cap goes up.

Hockey fans aren't as passive as fans in other sports. You're gonna see the same people buying merchandise and attending games regardless of how much you spend on advertising.
Agreed.

Old
06-26-2009, 03:35 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
But...But....But...the cap is falling...the cap is falling.

Now, I am very much worried that we wont be able to sign our UFA's and RFA's in 2012-2013 and beyond at this rate. We better not spend any money on free agents because we might, MIGHT, be handcuffed then.

Jeez, o.k., so it drops a few million next year. Guess DL/JS concern and talk about the cap dropping to 48MM is useless now, and the strategy about poaching good players for not that much from "cap hell" teams just went out the window.

SO, . . . Now, Can you say Gaborik or Hossa? I knew you could. I just don't know if Dean can.
They cant do anything until July 1. Quit gettig yer panties in a bunch over Eklund garbage. The only one that knows what Lombardi is gonna do is Lombardi.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
They cant do anything until July 1. Quit gettig yer panties in a bunch over Eklund garbage. The only one that knows what Lombardi is gonna do is Lombardi.
He is talking about what was talked about at the Breakfast with the GM....not Eklund garbage.

Old
06-26-2009, 03:39 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
He is talking about what was talked about at the Breakfast with the GM....not Eklund garbage.
Touche.. good point.

Old
06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
riseandfall9

Chalk me up for the side that doesn't think the cap is going down. Its not coming below 52 million at least not in the next 5-7 years. But Players salary's will for sure go down if the morons like the Rangers, Lighting and Flyers stop there stupidity.

Old
06-26-2009, 03:48 PM
LombardiTool

I think Dean is all for paying a top notch guy to come here. I think it would be optimal. I just hate when many Dean bashers blame Dean for not even trying to get a player. I honestly think he has made an effort that last few years. I know people hate the term "fiscally responsible" but if Hossa would goto Detroit for $5 million and charge LA $8 million, would you be all for going that high? Just to sign a guy? I agree we have to pay to get a guy but LA is not the place to go and to strap ourselves down to a bad contract just to get one is not what is in the teams best interest.

Old
06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
I think Dean is all for paying a top notch guy to come here. I think it would be optimal. I just hate when many Dean bashers blame Dean for not even trying to get a player. I honestly think he has made an effort that last few years. I know people hate the term "fiscally responsible" but if Hossa would goto Detroit for $5 million and change LA $8 million, would you be all for going that high? Just to sign a guy? I agree we have to pay to get a guy but LA is not the place to go and to strap ourselves down to a bad contract just to get one is not what is in the teams best interest.
Well that is the thing....the only way Dean is going to get a big name free agent player is to outbid playoff teams....because other than money the Kings really have no advantage over teams like Vancouver and Montreal.

If Dean is not willing to overpay then he should just say he is not going to sign free agents instead of getting everyone's hopes up the week before.

Old
06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Jwm1986

Its hard to call this an increase..maybe this will cover the salary to that creepy strength coach they just hired..

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Nothing can flow and flow and flow forever without an ebb somewhere around the corner.

Considering the large jumps it has made every year, a mere 100,000k certainly signals that things are not as they were.

It does have to drop sometime, but trying to play psychic forecaster in regards to every possible monetary acquisition is how you run a business, not how you ice a hockey team.

If signing Gaborik now means dumping Williams when the cap crunch does eventually hit, then so be it. The whole idea of continuous strong drafting is that when that does happen, you have a good player on an ELC to slot in.

There is no such thing as just putting a team and system in place and idly watching it flourish. Once we get to be a contender, there will still be issues and critical decisions throughout.

SPEND SOME MONEY!

Although we can't go crazy. Whenever I have run numbers and projections for fun, we really can't afford to take on more than 7 million in salary for more than 2 years if we want to be able to keep Simmonds, Quick, Doughty, Frolov and Johnson for the long haul.

So I do want them to spend, but spend wisely. I want Gaborik, but I will also understand if he insisted on a 5 year contract at more than ~6.5. 2 years, 8 mill, cool. 3 years, 7.5 mill... mmmmmmmaybe. 4+ yrs 7+ mill could easily make giving Quick a big raise is he earns it a problem. If Doughty becomes a 5-6 mill guy by the time his ELC is up, someone like Quincey or Simmonds might have to go.

I don't know. I go back and forth. It's definately dicey, but ultimately you do have to grow AND SHOW a pair if DL ever plans on this team competing for even one season, let alone year in and year out.

I hope and hope and hope that when Hammond says the cash budget last year was just to entice the Celtic's owners to buy in he is correct. If that IS the case, then the wallet should open this summer. If he was just being fed BS, that will be highly aggrivating. I can deal with not wanting to cave in to a player's obscene salary demands, but not being allowed to pay them in the first place is not acceptible any more going forward with this team.

Last edited by JDM: 06-26-2009 at 04:02 PM.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote