HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I Agree with Rainer

Old
06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Kane or Schenn or MSP please !!!!!
This.

We do have the knee-injury thing going against us with Cowen though. It increases the likelihood of him being picked.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Cowen is intriguing. I think he's going to be incredible.

Remember, he was ranked as high as #3 (#2?) at one point (though I'll have to dig it up), and all that brought him down was his knee injury. That being said, I think it's telling of just how good he is that the injury and missing so much time ONLY dropped him a few spots...

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:52 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

While I like Cowan, I just don't see him as the high impact player that everyone has him out to be. To me, even when he is out there playing against the best of his peers, he seems to play more as a number 3-4 pairing with his best possible outcome eeking his way into a #2 guy. I would draft one of the two other top ten rated D before him.

As for BPA I would still draft B.S. or E.K. for many reasons but for the sake of this discussion it would be that we know that TO covets B.S. and that Chicago covets eek and I feel that they would likely draw more value in a potential trade.

That said, I also feel that B.S. will be the real deal in a year or two and that we can use him. While I like Kane allot, I am still a little gun shy by the way the national junior team treated him. Likely nothing as he did right fine to establish himself when given the chance but still...

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
This.

We do have the knee-injury thing going against us with Cowen though. It increases the likelihood of him being picked.
True dat , We love them knee injuries

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:56 PM
ukyo

I don't have a fundamental problem with drafting Cowen. Lombardi's supposed plan is to build a perennial winner. If Cowen doesn't start contributing until after Frolov and Williams are out of their primes, it shouldn't matter. If the plan is done right, there will be other players on the team that will be in their primes. The team should ALWAYS be in contention once the system is put in place.

I do however think the BPA theory is garbage. The prospect pool is weak on forwards. If there is a team out there with an asset we want that also has defensive depth in their system, we're at a disadvantage dealing with them because we can't offer them something they don't have. The median drafted defensemen may be slightly more valuable than the median drafted forward, but the difference isn't enough to go through the work of finding a team with forward prospects that you can barter with. I'd rather Lombardi's staff spent the time looking for guys like Simmonds and Purcell.

We can't always be drafting defensemen just because they're more valuable. That's crap. If Lombardi drafts Cowen, it better be because he thinks that Cowen is clearly a better player, not because he's a defenseman and Kane/Schenn/MPS are forwards.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
I don't have a fundamental problem with drafting Cowen. Lombardi's supposed plan is to build a perennial winner. If Cowen doesn't start contributing until after Frolov and Williams are out of their primes, it shouldn't matter. If the plan is done right, there will be other players on the team that will be in their primes. The team should ALWAYS be in contention once the system is put in place.

I do however think the BPA theory is garbage. The prospect pool is weak on forwards. If there is a team out there with an asset we want that also has defensive depth in their system, we're at a disadvantage dealing with them because we can't offer them something they don't have. The median drafted defensemen may be slightly more valuable than the median drafted forward, but the difference isn't enough to go through the work of finding a team with forward prospects that you can barter with. I'd rather Lombardi's staff spent the time looking for guys like Simmonds and Purcell.

We can't always be drafting defensemen just because they're more valuable. That's crap. If Lombardi drafts Cowen, it better be because he thinks that Cowen is clearly a better player, not because he's a defenseman and Kane/Schenn/MPS are forwards.
A rare moment where we are in agreement.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:20 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
A rare moment where we are in agreement.
I agree. See, there's two!

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Jwm1986

If we pick Cowen, i think its a sign of something else going down..there is no way we select another Defenseman with our 1st rounder if we dont trade one of our defenseman prospects.. i just don see it happening..

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Hollywood

Cowan to LA = bad move.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Cowan > Schenn, everyday of the week for me

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Cowan > Schenn, everyday of the week for me
And why is That?

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:44 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

big defenceman like him are harder to find than 80 point/year forwards

Old
06-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
big defenceman like him are harder to find than 80 point/year forwards
Too bad we already have a plethora of defensemen. I could understand that if we weren't stocked on dmen.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Since when is Schenn supposed to be an 80 point forward? Wouldn't that be like the absolute top end of his potential. It was my understanding he will much more likely be a ~60 point forward who is all heart and soul. Another Brown.

80 points is a first line scorer. If we want a first line scorer we better hope for Duchene, Kane or take MPS. I'm cool with Schenn, but I haven't heard any talk of him being projected as a big time scorer in the NHL.

I wouldn't take Cowan over MPS. But I might over Schenn, which is odd because I might take Schenn over MPS. I know that makes no sense, but I do see the logic in Cowan being a better pick than Schenn. That said I absolutely prefer we take a forward, no matter who goes 1,2,3,4.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:06 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Since when is Schenn supposed to be an 80 point forward? Wouldn't that be like the absolute top end of his potential. It was my understanding he will much more likely be a ~60 point forward who is all heart and soul. Another Brown.

80 points is a first line scorer. If we want a first line scorer we better hope for Duchene, Kane or take MPS. I'm cool with Schenn, but I haven't heard any talk of him being projected as a big time scorer in the NHL.

I wouldn't take Cowan over MPS. But I might over Schenn, which is odd because I might take Schenn over MPS. I know that makes no sense, but I do see the logic in Cowan being a better pick than Schenn. That said I absolutely prefer we take a forward, no matter who goes 1,2,3,4.
Case and point, screw Schenn

Old
06-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
big defenceman like him are hard to find
IMO I think based on Hextall's draft interview on KingsVision that they will select a Defenseman in the 3rd round to keep the reserve list stocked on D down the road.
There should still be some BIG strong D men around ... and I'm not sold that Cowan is a 'Game breaker' in the mold of a Chara or Pronger.

BRAYDEN McNABB 6'4" - 200#, DMITRI ORLOV 6' - 197#, BRIAN DUMOULIN 6'3" - 197#, TAYLOR DOHERTY 6'6" - 220#, MAC BENNETT 6' - 170#, MATT CLARK 6'3" - 205# ... at least one of those guys should most likely still be around with our 3rd selection, or maybe Dean combines some assets and moves up to grab another 2nd round pick ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 06:16 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
IMO I think based on Hextall's draft interview on KingsVision that they will select a Defenseman in the 3rd round to keep the reserve list stocked on D down the road.
There should still be some BIG strong D men around ... and I'm not sold that Cowan is a 'Game breaker' in the mold of a Chara or Pronger.

BRAYDEN McNABB 6'4" - 200#, DMITRI ORLOV 6' - 197#, BRIAN DUMOULIN 6'3" - 197#, TAYLOR DOHERTY 6'6" - 220#, MAC BENNETT 6' - 170#, MATT CLARK 6'3" - 205# ... at least one of those guys should most likely still be around with our 3rd selection, or maybe Dean combines some assets and moves up to grab another 2nd round pick ?
true, maybe i just don't like Schenn

Old
06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Hasn't been much discussion of Cowen lately, but I agree with Ranier: If* DL keeps the #5 pick, Cowen will be the BPA and Dean will take him.
Happy to be wrong about this prediction. Schenn will be great.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote