HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2009, 11:49 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Tatar is my dude if we get a 2nd.

Smallish, but has a ton of positive qualities.

I've read one too many intangible-laden scouting reports about the kid.
I'm sooooo sick of hearing about intangibles.

Talk to me about a guys awareness in either zone, that's fine (which is oft confused with intangles)....but drafting a guy on "leadership"?

*Vomit*

Old
06-27-2009, 01:16 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Again.... this was the right pick even if he doesn't offensively pan out - which some may consider "busting". Those criticizing are simply looking for something to whine about.

First and foremost, this pick, at the very least, HINTS that Darcy finally may "get it"... he finally may see the blatantly obvious: we need more sandpaper.

Those comparing him to Kaleta? You want to talk about a pretty acceptable worst case scenario right there.... if this kid's bottom is becoming another Pat Kaleta, is that all that bad? Patrick Kaleta is an NHLer, and seems to be quite valuable to our team. Top that off with the fact that this kid is known to fight - something Kaleta doesn't do, really - and we've added another piece.

Please don't forget that he was considered a top-10 prospect in some outlets, and widely considered top-15. Meaning there's something there offensively for scouts to rank him high and for him to be "a good fit" for any team that were to pick him.

This pick, as Darcy put it, was one of their higher rated players who happened to also fit a clear organizational need. I like the pick.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:21 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Again.... this was the right pick even if he doesn't offensively pan out - which some may consider "busting". Those criticizing are simply looking for something to whine about.

First and foremost, this pick, at the very least, HINTS that Darcy finally may "get it"... he finally may see the blatantly obvious: we need more sandpaper.

Those comparing him to Kaleta? You want to talk about a pretty acceptable worst case scenario right there.... if this kid's bottom is becoming another Pat Kaleta, is that all that bad? Patrick Kaleta is an NHLer, and seems to be quite valuable to our team. Top that off with the fact that this kid is known to fight - something Kaleta doesn't do, really - and we've added another piece.

Please don't forget that he was considered a top-10 prospect in some outlets, and widely considered top-15. Meaning there's something there offensively for scouts to rank him high and for him to be "a good fit" for any team that were to pick him.

This pick, as Darcy put it, was one of their higher rated players who happened to also fit a clear organizational need. I like the pick.
I'm not a huge prospect guy, but I agree with you. Great pick. There's definitely been a trend to drafting bigger with Adam, Myers, and Kassian. Much needed.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:24 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I'm sooooo sick of hearing about intangibles.

Talk to me about a guys awareness in either zone, that's fine (which is oft confused with intangles)....but drafting a guy on "leadership"?

*Vomit*
I just meant that he hustles every shift and was a go to guy for his team faceoff wise.

He is small though.

If we get a second rounder we do have to go center.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:48 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
I just meant that he hustles every shift and was a go to guy for his team faceoff wise.

He is small though.

If we get a second rounder we do have to go center.
There isn't a player in the NHL that doesn't "hustle" every shift. I guarentee you.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:20 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
The difference is you won't find any Jordan Schroeder's beyond the first round. You will find your 3rd line grinders throughout the entire draft.
Really?

I could see Schroeder ending up having a career akin to Roy and Pominville who were both 2nd rounders.

I like Schroeder, but he was more of what the Sabres have in abundance in Ennis, Gerbe, and Kennedy.

Kassian was THE PICK at that spot, IMO.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Wasting the 13th overall pick on a 3rd/4th line grinder is not something would be happy with. Simply put, Kassian WAS NOT BPA. Which is fine, he is something we desperately need in our pipeline but those acting like he's talented enough to be picked there and the sandpaper is just an added bonus are fooling themselves. Based on talent alone, he's not a first rounder IMO. Hopefully he pans out, but I have my doubts...though I had my doubts about Myers as well and I've been admittedly wrong on that one so far.

Quote:
Agreed, and I can get behind that.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think he's all that comparable to Kaleta. He wouldn't be as effective in a 3rd/4th line role as Kaleta is IMO. Kaleta does not work the boards or protect the puck like Kassian, but Kassian doesn't hit as much or as enthusiastically as Kaleta, which is what makes Kaleta SO good in his 3rd/4th line role.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

There are a lot of really good players left, I really hope we get a 2nd rounder somehow. Here's my list of top available for the sabres.

Jeremy Morin
Zach Buddish
Ethan Werek
Carl Klingberg
Ryan O'Reilly
Landon Ferraro
Toni Rajala

Old
06-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Jim Carr's Rug

Anyone know what time it gets back going today?
thanks

Old
06-27-2009, 07:53 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Darcy says he wants to move up in the draft (2nd round) and isn't done.

We shall see.
Not sure I want the sabres to do this. I'd hate to trade off our assetts, Hecht, Hank, Paille, etc for draft picks. rather use those player to obtain other NHL ready players. Otherwise, It'll be the status quo and we all know where that leads....10th place.

Darcy should have traded back and gotten extra picks that way.

Old
06-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
There are a lot of really good players left, I really hope we get a 2nd rounder somehow. Here's my list of top available for the sabres.

Jeremy Morin
Zach Buddish
Ethan Werek
Carl Klingberg
Ryan O'Reilly
Landon Ferraro
Toni Rajala
Scoring guys indeed. If they can shift salary and get back into the second round, that would be great.

06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I like Kassian. I liked Kreider and Leblanc more. Eh. Moving on.

So they have a guy like they haven't had since May was young -- tough, plays hard, defends teammates and can keep up with the offensive guys. That I like.

That Leblanc went to the Habs and Kreider went to the Rangers though -- I don't care for their new teams.

And I hope Regier continues to look for and acquire guys with some brass. He hasn't shown the ability to add more than at most one player a year to the grit department going back to the Mair and Grier acquisitions. The team still needs to get tougher on the ice, not just in the prospect pool.

Last edited by Chainshot: 06-27-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old
06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Really?

I could see Schroeder ending up having a career akin to Roy and Pominville who were both 2nd rounders.

I like Schroeder, but he was more of what the Sabres have in abundance in Ennis, Gerbe, and Kennedy.

Kassian was THE PICK at that spot, IMO.
It's not like Schroeder is better and stronger than both Parise and Kane were at the same age or anything. It's not like Schroeder was 2nd at the combine in the bench press or anything. Yeah that guy is just a little ***** who can't even handle the physical NCAA game.

Old
06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug View Post
Anyone know what time it gets back going today?
thanks
10 am

on NHL Network here in the lower 48

Old
06-27-2009, 10:08 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

The Sabres website has it streaming.

Oh btw, it's looking like Phaneuf is going to be moved.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Wasting the 13th overall pick on a 3rd/4th line grinder is not something would be happy with. Simply put, Kassian WAS NOT BPA. Which is fine, he is something we desperately need in our pipeline but those acting like he's talented enough to be picked there and the sandpaper is just an added bonus are fooling themselves. Based on talent alone, he's not a first rounder IMO. Hopefully he pans out, but I have my doubts...though I had my doubts about Myers as well and I've been admittedly wrong on that one so far.

Agreed, and I can get behind that.

Personally, I don't think he's all that comparable to Kaleta. He wouldn't be as effective in a 3rd/4th line role as Kaleta is IMO. Kaleta does not work the boards or protect the puck like Kassian, but Kassian doesn't hit as much or as enthusiastically as Kaleta, which is what makes Kaleta SO good in his 3rd/4th line role.
The scouting consensus had him ranked around 13th overall, which coincidentally was higher than Schroeder. The only player you could really make an argument about that fell out of the top 10 and might have been better was Kulikov and there's the spectre of the KHL looming large with him.

Kassian brings some needed grit and size to the lineup, at worse he'll be a servicable player and best turn into something similar to Lucic. They probably in the longrun would have been better rolling the dice with Kreider or Holland (who I think might turn into Getzlaf light).

Old
06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
HarriSateri

Had we had our 2nd we would of had Drew Shore on the board at our pick.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
The Sabres website has it streaming.

Oh btw, it's looking like Phaneuf is going to be moved.
Wrong Calgary d-man.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
It's not like Schroeder is better and stronger than both Parise and Kane were at the same age or anything. It's not like Schroeder was 2nd at the combine in the bench press or anything. Yeah that guy is just a little ***** who can't even handle the physical NCAA game.
I ask again, why would we need ANOTHER small, undersized skill player in our organization? Are Roy, Pominville, Gerbe, Ennis, Kennedy, and Byron not enough for you?

It's not like Schroeder is better and stronger than both Parise and Kane were at the same age or anything.

Therefore he's going to be a better player? If that was the case, why was he picked in the 20's?

It's not like Schroeder was 2nd at the combine in the bench press or anything.

Therefore he must be stronger than Kassian? Here's a clue, he's 5'8'', he has short arms. The bench is easier for people who don't have to lift the weight as far.

You're reaching, my friend. It seems as if you're almost at the point where you're hoping Kassian fails so that you can come on here in four years and say "I told you so." Nobody likes that guy. Don't be him.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Shore, Buddish, Dummoulin, Ryan all gone in round 2. Rats.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:31 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Wrong Calgary d-man.
No, I meant he'll be moved if JBo resigns.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Werek to the Rangers. Grrr....

Looks like Regier can't get back into the second.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:40 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Damn. Look for Tatar to do some things in Detroit.

Little Ulf to Pittsburgh.

At least our 3rd is like a 2nd.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
Darcy says he wants to move up in the draft (2nd round) and isn't done.

We shall see.
And he does nothing.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

We're taking little Foligno. Book it
Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread