HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick #81 - Adam Morrison - G - Saskatoon (WHL)

Old
06-27-2009, 10:27 AM
flyers ltd

vCash: 500
Cue the outrage from all the Canadian junior experts in Marlton that their favorite guy wasn't taken.

flyers ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Roy is still on the board. Whatever it is people see that the Flyers didn't like, apparently everyone else saw it too and they're not taking him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:29 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
We're allowed to have our own opinion, this is a discussion board after all. I think it would have been better if we would have taken Lee or Pasquale.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Central Scouting did not even rank him. I guess they do not know anything.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Roy is still on the board. Whatever it is people see that the Flyers didn't like, apparently everyone else saw it too and they're not taking him.
THANK YOU.

In other news, remember when the Flyers traded Ouellet for Oates? People were freaking out...left, right and center.

Here's what Ouellet has done in his career...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=35723

Some of you really need to learn how to relax and be a little more objective.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Kaktus*

Flyers must upgrade their scouting. Fire a few guys. We suck at drafting in 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds.

I mean Clarke used to be able to do a better job with guys like Fedoruk and Sharp... Homer drafted Klotz and now this....

O well..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
THANK YOU.

In other news, remember when the Flyers traded Ouellet for Oates? People were freaking out...left, right and center.

Here's what Ouellet has done in his career...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=35723

Some of you really need to learn how to relax and be a little more objective.
I won't lie, thats who Roy reminds me of. Very similar numbers.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Central Scouting did not even rank him. I guess they do not know anything.
He was the 24th ranked NA goalie by CSS.

Old
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Flyers must upgrade their scouting. Fire a few guys. We suck at drafting in 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds.

I mean Clarke used to be able to do a better job with guys like Fedoruk and Sharp... Homer drafted Klotz and now this....

O well..
Yeah, these players haven't developed into NHL players yet in the last 15 minutes we have owned their rights, clearly that's unnaceptable

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
We're allowed to have our own opinion, this is a discussion board after all. I think it would have been better if we would have taken Lee or Pasquale.
Is this where I say 'obviously Holmgren knows better than us?'

Old
06-27-2009, 10:35 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

I'm with you, I'm still pissed at him right now. Holmgren is not the pope in the 16th century, he's not infallible. Coming from the guy who drafted Klotz in the 3rd round when he was likely to go undrafted, and traded for Eminger instead of taking Carlson or Markstrom.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Opus

Quote:

O well..
Have you ever heard of Matt ****in' Zultek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Yeah, these players haven't developed into NHL players yet in the last 15 minutes we have owned their rights, clearly that's unnaceptable
Absolutely unacceptable.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Kaktus*

With Rajala, Avtsyn, Fallstrom, Bjorklund, Latta all still on the board.

We drafted who? **** out of here.

After trading all that youth one would think Homer will get smarter.

Avtsyn is a stud player but we can not bring Russians here. We do not know how.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:42 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
With Rajala, Avtsyn, Fallstrom, Bjorklund, Latta all still on the board.

We drafted who? **** out of here.
Latta was already taken.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Latta was already taken.
I just threw names there. Ok, one player was taken.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm with you, I'm still pissed at him right now. Holmgren is not the pope in the 16th century, he's not infallible. Coming from the guy who drafted Klotz in the 3rd round when he was likely to go undrafted, and traded for Eminger instead of taking Carlson or Markstrom.
Yup. The minions who pontificate that normal fans shouldn't question the decision of a GM and his scouts are delusional. I guess Homer and his scouts were right in thinking John Carlson wasn't worth taking at #27 last year, right? (I went berserk when they traded that pick -- to the freakin' Caps -- for Steve Eminger.) I mean, after all, they're the experts and we're just a bunch of uneducated fans yapping away on a message board. Hey, at least Carlson hasn't turned into a very promising prospect. Oh, wait... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99508, http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/john_carlson

But I guess Homer and friends -- you know, the experts -- knew what they were doing in passing on him. One thing is for sure: Having Carlson in the prospect cupboard would have made the loss of Sbisa a lot easier to stomach.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...154/story.html

Quote:
Adam Morrison's stomach was churning Wednesday, but not because he was nervous about the upcoming NHL draft.

Rather, the Saskatoon Blades goaltender was dealing with a bout of food poisoning.

"It could be a mixture of things," Morrison said in trying to pinpoint the source of his illness. "I had sushi. I also went to a barbecue where I had chicken and we were cooking burgers."

Like the food that poisoned him, Morrison's talent is raw. He played in just 13 games as a 17-year-old rookie with the Blades. Even though most scouting agencies don't list Morrison in their rankings for this weekend's draft in Montreal, Saskatoon coach-GM Lorne Molleken has fielded plenty of calls about his young netminder's abilities.

"What sparked the interest of so many teams is (Steve) Mason who played in Columbus," said Molleken. "He didn't play a whole bunch of games in his draft year, either. But now he's the (NHL's) rookie of the year."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:50 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yup. The minions who pontificate that normal fans shouldn't question the decision of a GM and his scouts are delusional. I guess Homer and his scouts were right in thinking John Carlson wasn't worth taking at #27 last year, right? (I went berserk when they traded that pick -- to the freakin' Caps -- for Steve Eminger.) I mean, after all, they're the experts and we're just a bunch of uneducated fans yapping away on a message board. Hey, at least Carlson hasn't turned into a very promising prospect. Oh, wait... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99508, http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/john_carlson

But I guess Homer and friends -- you know, the experts -- knew what they were doing in passing on him. One thing is for sure: Having Carlson in the prospect cupboard would have made the loss of Sbisa a lot easier to stomach.
Yes, because Carlson has been such an NHL sensation.

Oh.

Wait a minute.

Oh, maybe he's been an AHL sensation.

Oh.

Wait a minute.

Honestly, is this some kind of Michael Jackson tribute, the continued fawning over 18 year-old boys?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:50 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

If we had Carlson, I would be happy with the Pronger trade.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:52 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

It's not that you shouldn't question things, but freaking out over a pick as fresh as this one, when quite frankly very few people here have even seen 5% of the draftees play a single game, is crazy.

People get obsessed over draft picks and prospects on this board, which i guess is understandable. However the point of the draft isn't to pick who ISS or whomever has ranked highest, the point is to evaluate the talent and make an educated guess as to which player will be the right fit. If the Flyers were picking straight off the list they wouldn't be doing their jobs

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Beastieboy

Re: the 13 games... at least he was 9-1-1. He played behind Braden Holtby Caps 4th rounder from 2008 who had 40 wins. I think it is rare for goalies to play the majority of games in their 1st year in the WHL when they are competing against guys who have been there for a few years.

As we move into 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds chances of finding a star player are slim so everything is pretty much a crap shoot. Going on a hunch or picking a guy ranked a bit lower is not a sign of insanity (though I must admit the Klotz thing is puzzling).

By the way, just saw Brian Burke on NHL network say "Pronger was born to wear orange and black" when they asked him about having Pronger in the Eastern Conference.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:57 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yes, because Carlson has been such an NHL sensation.

Oh.

Wait a minute.

Oh, maybe he's been an AHL sensation.

Oh.

Wait a minute.

Honestly, is this some kind of Michael Jackson tribute, the continued fawning over 18 year-old boys?
I think its more of we didn't have a first round pick (or even a second round) in the past 2 drafts, and the one coming up next year we dont have a 1st or 2nd. Not saying to overrate picks, but one should atleast have a 1st or 2nd round pick in 3 drafts, yet we dont.

I am trying to figure out how this conversation came up in Moorison's draft thread.

I also think it is risky to draft the dude just based off of what Steve Mason did (according to what his coach said)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Opus

Quote:

There isn't a team in the league that has guessed wrong and drafted/traded the wrong guy...not a single one. And each team has done it multiple times. If the Flyers had a history of this type of thing and it resulted in them being a mediocre franchise, then I would be pissed...but it hasn't. They have been a very competitive team and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

I find your location quite fitting for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
By the way, just saw Brian Burke on NHL network say "Pronger was born to wear orange and black" when they asked him about having Pronger in the Eastern Conference.
That makes my naughty parts tingle.

Old
06-27-2009, 11:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Ugh, I wish he was American.

Maybe he'll have a huge first part of the year and get on the WJC team somehow.

Old
06-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Beastieboy

Just looking at 2006 draft on IHDB... in rounds 3-7 there are 3 guys who have played more than 20 NHL games... Mason, Clutterbuck and Dorsett. It takes years for these guys, if ever to make it to the NHL no matter how good their stats are in junior or who ranks them 24th or 65th or whatever. Just saying I agree with those calling for a bit of calm with regards to these picks instead of calling for firing of the scouting staff.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote