HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Round Pick Zack Kassian RW

Old
06-27-2009, 07:19 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Well, stats doesn't tell the whole story, but you seem to see the thinks right!

I love the kassian pick, even if I think that he would have been available until the 17-20 pick.

I'm sure we could have taken a more talented Player, but what our organization need is a big Powerforward, who brings some phyiscaly play on the table and thats excatly Kassians play.

I see a very good chance for Kassian, making the the NHL roster next season, because we need size in our roster.

BTW: Is Kassian a left or a right wing?

He's a RW'er. And IMO there is no way in hell Kassian would have lasted till 20th. Like Regier said, Kassian was the only kid in the first round that had that kind of element to him.

Everyone on this board complains about how small we are. It baffles me how many people wanted us to draft Schroeder instead??

I cant wait to see Kassian patrolling our top six and bashing some faces !! Hopefully the mutton chops come back with him as well haha

CelticSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:43 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
He's a RW'er. And IMO there is no way in hell Kassian would have lasted till 20th. Like Regier said, Kassian was the only kid in the first round that had that kind of element to him.

Everyone on this board complains about how small we are. It baffles me how many people wanted us to draft Schroeder instead??

I cant wait to see Kassian patrolling our top six and bashing some faces !! Hopefully the mutton chops come back with him as well haha
Their quick to shoot down my Gionta possibility yet some of them want to draft Schroeder.

Laughable.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I like Zach as a player, there's a lot to his game that works for this team (and me personally as entertainment value). And I wish Leblanc or Kreider were already gone -- seeing them both go to Eastern rivals was tough.

Kassian hits -- it's not the soul focus of his game, but he certainly goes out of his way to land a big crunch on someone. And coming out of the Petes, he's going to know how to play without the puck. Strong shooter, wins puck battles and is willing along the wall.... all good things.

I'm looking forward to seeing him at the Rookie Camp.

06-27-2009, 08:30 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
I just worry that Kassian's upside is limited...
There's a joke in here somewhere... maybe about Shroeder's upside maxing out at 5' 8", so Kassian is already starting off ahead of (or a "head" above) him.

To an extent, I agree with whoever said they'd rather see us pick up this kind of "fills a need" player through free agency. We need more grit and size NOW.

But I'm glad to see the Lucic comparisons for a potential future Sabre. Absolutely love that kids game, and he would do wonders for the current bunch of panty waists.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Jeremy2020

I don't understand this whole "Well, he would have been available three or four picks later". Most everything said he's be gone at 18 if not gone already.

How many team are willing to trade for couple spots? You're not going to get much by trading back a couple spots and risk losing that player.

I can understand disagreeing with a pick, but to have a problem because he *may* have lasted another all the way until 20th? So it's not good enough to get a player anymore? He has to be had in the exact right spot.

I mean, that Vanek pick was good, but really not worth it since we could have had him one spot later.

Jeremy2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Old Navy Goat

The intriguing part was their discussions with Bob Gainey after picking LeBlanc, where he stated that he tried to move up a few slots to ensure his man. Though they don't generally trade much with the Canadiens, I wonder if Bob and Darcy talked but either Montreal was gunning for Kassian or Darcy knew one of the teams in between would have pulled the trigger on him.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Kaleta is faster than Vanek, so I don't see the point of translating speed to offensive game.

Kaleta had 28 pts in 67 games in his draft year and was 8th on the Pete's in scoring.

Kassian had 63 pts in 61 games this past season and was 2nd on the team in scoring.

Kassian's 24 goals this season matches Kaleta's career high in the OHL. And Kaleta's career high in points with the Pete's was 52.

Yeah, Kaleta is a great comparison to Kassian when it comes to offense.......
Maybe I worded my posts wrong but I don't feel they were that hard to understand.

Kassian is obviously much more talented than Kaleta. What I meant is that their point totals translating to the NHL may not be that far off because Kaleta is extremely fast and that can translate to an NHL game no matter how untalented you are.

You also assume Kassian is going to put up more points next year.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:27 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
There's a joke in here somewhere... maybe about Shroeder's upside maxing out at 5' 8", so Kassian is already starting off ahead of (or a "head" above) him.

To an extent, I agree with whoever said they'd rather see us pick up this kind of "fills a need" player through free agency. We need more grit and size NOW.

But I'm glad to see the Lucic comparisons for a potential future Sabre. Absolutely love that kids game, and he would do wonders for the current bunch of panty waists.

Why are those mutually exclusive things?

You can acquire a current NHLer for toughness and fill the system with it as well.

The Bruins already have size and toughness and drafted Caron that adds more of that element.

Its not as if adding Kassian alone completely changes the dynamic in our system.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Maybe I worded my posts wrong but I don't feel they were that hard to understand.

Kassian is obviously much more talented than Kaleta. What I meant is that their point totals translating to the NHL may not be that far off because Kaleta is extremely fast and that can translate to an NHL game no matter how untalented you are.

You also assume Kassian is going to put up more points next year.
Since when does skating speed trump overall ability for a players offensive game translating to the NHL? Brian Holzinger says hello. You're trying too hard to bash the pick.

Players have certain skill sets that get them drafted. Sometimes they can carry their game to the NHL sometimes they can't. There is no magic formula to predict which ones will and which ones won't.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You're trying too hard to bash the pick.
Maybe so but the two people I talked to about Kassian specifically because everyone around here had a hard-on both said they feel his offensive game will translate to the next level in the form of a bigger and slightly better Brad May.

Obviously no one pick that we had access to would propel us into contender status or hell even playoff status so there's very little harm in taking a player like this. But a player like this and questionable work ethic rub me the wrong way. Though I guess you can say a player like Chris Neil also has questionable work ethic and is invisible on many nights.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Offensively? Not so much.

Kassian is much much slower.
One can always improve their footspeed with training. I like Kassian's willingness and ability to fight and his type of play. If he can get 20-25 goals a year and use his size to create havoc and create space for our smaller talented prospects that would be fine with me. Didn't we have a big guy who scored 20ish goals a year that didn't always use his size and also not fight...

Interesting line combos perhaps

Vanek-Roy-Kassian
Ennis/Gerbe/Kennedy-Adam-Kassian

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Maybe so but the two people I talked to about Kassian specifically because everyone around here had a hard-on both said they feel his offensive game will translate to the next level in the form of a bigger and slightly better Brad May.

Obviously no one pick that we had access to would propel us into contender status or hell even playoff status so there's very little harm in taking a player like this. But a player like this and questionable work ethic rub me the wrong way. Though I guess you can say a player like Chris Neil also has questionable work ethic and is invisible on many nights.
I'll take pre-injury Brad May on this team every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:47 AM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I'll take pre-injury Brad May on this team every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
At the expensive of a high first round pick?

HarriSateri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Pre-injury May was similar to a young Roberts -- 40+ points and people afraid to play his team. May"s teammates grew when he was in the lineup - small guys can play bigger when someone is there to back them up.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If Kassian has the footspeed to keep up with some of the little guys, he'll do very well riding shotgun with guys like Kennedy, Byron, Gerbe, Roy, etc.

Oh, and pre-injury Brad May rules.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
High first round pick? 13th is about as middle of the round as you can get.

I get the sense that unless a forward has a huge upside offensively you don't want him in the first round. You don't feel the particular skill set Kassian brings is worth drafting or as valuable as offensive prowess.

I also don't get the mindset that this pick is somehow wasted if he turns into a Brad May. Its wasted if he turns into Artem Kriukov or Marek Zagrapan players that never played in the NHL. Not if he becomes a phsyical force that clears space for his teammates.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
Lots of mid-first round picks end up around that level.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:35 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
Lots of mid-first round picks end up around that level.
Thats what is so confusing with some of these complaints. This isn't the NFL draft when 21/22yr old men are getting drafted. The NHL draft is a crapshoot. They are drafting 17/18yr old kids.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:48 PM
TehDoak
Goin Streakin

vCash: 903
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
So

If Zack Kassian shows up to camp and hits everything that moves....can we afford not to sign him?

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
It could be an unpleasant camp for Peters if he's re-signed. He can't handle lefties.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I like the Kassian pick. Just remember that guys like Tocchet and Neely weren't burners either. Kassian is great along the boards, has a physical presence that will open up room for the smaller Sabres players and more importantly, will be able to protect them. On top of that, Kassian is one of those guys who is always around the puck and is usually in the right place at the right time.

People make too much of an issue with regards to speed. No, Kassian isn't a burner, but he's got a good strong stride. He's a much better skater than Lucic was at this point and he's just as mean with a better skill set. What's not to like about a player like that?

When Kassian is a 35 goal, 70 point, 200+ PIM guy who protects your smaller players like Gerbe, Roy, etc....nobody will be complaining then.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:00 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
It could be an unpleasant camp for Peters if he's re-signed. He can't handle fighting.
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
When Kassian is a 35 goal, 70 point, 200+ PIM guy who protects your smaller players like Gerbe, Roy, etc....nobody will be complaining then.
ZOMG....I'm even more excited than ever now.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Lock3Boys

Love the pick, and was hoping we would get him.

I have no clue how a Sabres fan can bash this pick, I'm personally proud of Darcy.

Lock3Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So

If Zack Kassian shows up to camp and hits everything that moves....can we afford not to sign him?
ISS considers him the most physically ready player in this draft. He has an excellent shot at playing for the Sabres next season. The scouts have nothing but good things to say about him. See http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...ssian_profile/

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:39 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

If Kassian turns out to be a pre-injured May then we just got exactly what this team needs. Getting a mean SOB was a perfect pick. I would rather "waste" every pick in the first round for the next 20 years on guys like Kassian then pick a short, sandal wearing, likes to get touched where he pees by other dudes d o u c h b a g (Roy). Our team is filled with effortless, heartless and gutless panzies and I for one am getting sick and tired of routing for a perennial 10th place team like that. Thank god for this pick, lets get back to the mad hatter days where we were entertained and didnt take **** from anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RalYe_4WTE

Last edited by SECRET SQUIRREL: 06-28-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: added link
SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote