HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Danish prospects in sweden. (and elsewhere)

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

vCash: 500
Danish prospects in sweden. (and elsewhere)

I noted Tobias Kisum had 4 points for Leksand today. I find it very interesting that the few really good talents coming out of denmark the last 3-4 years has been very good, almost better than the best swedes.

A quick look at the players coming out of denmark the last few years:
Franz Nielsen
Peter Regin
Morten Madsen
Kirill Starkov
Slava Trunho
Tobias Kisum
..??

All of them seem to be very talented forwards, who knows in a few years they might actually have a realistic shot at beating sweden in the World Championships. Kim Staal and Morten Green will be there to help the youngsters out as they develop, so things are looking good for the danes.

Old
10-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Swedelicious

And then, there´s Jannik Hansen and Frans Nielsen...

I´d like to know why there´s so many great forward prospects from denmark, and - as it seems - no d-men or goalies.

Old
10-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Petey21

Although they're too old to be considered prospects, I'd have to say that both goalie Peter Hirsch and defenseman Jesper Damgaard are really good even by SEL standards. So if those two can help the youngsters out a bit, the Danes will be fine.

Old
10-14-2004, 07:12 AM
mole

Other forwards worth mentioning are Mads Christensen, an '87-er from Herning who's really impressing this year, and Jannik Karvinen who is doing surprisingly well with Malmö's J-20's this year.

As for the imbalance between forwards and defensemen, I think the biggest reason is that the danish league and junior leagues are very unphysical, meaning that most defensemen will never really learn to play the game physically until their early 20's.
Also, most young defensemen are very small. I have no idea why, maybe the bigger boys find it more attractive to be powerful forwards, but if you look at the recent 6-7 years' worth of players breaking through in the league, on average, the biggest ones are the forwards.

As for danish prospects at defense and in goal, the best-looking blueliner is undoubtedly Odense's Michael Eskesen. He was ranked by the CSB ahead of the draft and I thought he had an outside chance of making it, but in the end he didn't. He's a puckmoving defenseman with good vision and great passing skills. Again, not a big guy or very tough in his checks, but still effective. He's recently had his debut for the senior national team and did quite well.

After him, it's quite thin. Some one will have to step up in this year's U18 team to replace him, that's for sure.

In net, Denmark has two hopes, currently, but neither are very highly touted.
Simon Nielsen, Franz' little brother, is a late '86 birthday and the third string goalie at Herning.
Sebastian Dahm is an '87-born who's playing with Malmö's J-20 team as backup, but currently struggling, with a 4.74 GAA and 84.78 sv% after 1½ games in net.

Old
10-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Teus

Frans Nielsen is in great form right now, playing some of his best games so far in SEL.

Old
10-16-2004, 12:19 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole
Jannik Karvinen
:lol

Wonder if he's related to Garfield the cat

(Garfield the cat, Gustaf in swedish is called Karvinen in finnish)

Closed Thread